• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
.But if we piece together the day in question, it can't have been any more than a fleeting visit.

The game against Wales kicked of at 5.20pm local time, so it would have finished about 7.15-7.30pm. From what I know of what happens after tests, it would have been at least 8.30pm, probably closer to 9pm (or maybe later) before the team bus left the ground. So they wouldn't have even got to the hotel before 9pm, probably later.

Assuming that the events are being reported accuratly then it's a storm in a tea cup. If we've been fed a watered down version then history suggests that the cover-up will claim more victims than the original breach.

I hope for the sake of team management that they've been truthful about this.

I know some of the players don't go to sleep till the early hours of the morning, the length of the visit is negligible.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Feel for the players, should have had the lead at halftime but everything collapsed in a heap. They must be really down on confidence, changing the coaching staff might be the only way to restore some of the confidence and reenergise them going into the WC

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
What has struck me over the last few weeks is the totally disconnected way the team plays. Everything is Groundhog Day predictable. It sad and it can’t be a good environment to be in. What we know is there will be no change.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Everyone still happy for To'omua to have the primary general kicking duties? Two tries and a penalty goal that should have been a try as a direct result of kicking down the throat of the back 3. I know people are going to say it’s tactics - it’s his tactics not the team’s.

The only difference today was To'omua kicking aimlessly down the throats of the back 3 instead of Foley and/or Beale. It has been the team's tactics for an age. I watched the Wales game with French commentary. The French commentators couldn't fathom the mindless kicking.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
What has struck me over the last few weeks is the totally disconnected way the team plays. Everything is Groundhog Day predictable. It sad and it can’t be a good environment to be in. What we know is there will be no change.
The change that needs to happen is medium to long term anyway.

A new coach might eek out a few better performances. I'd be happy to keep Cheik on if they use whatever money they save wisely (big if).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Everyone still happy for To'omua to have the primary general kicking duties? Two tries and a penalty goal that should have been a try as a direct result of kicking down the throat of the back 3. I know people are going to say it’s tactics - it’s his tactics not the team’s.

That last part is absolute bollocks..........

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
How did my old mate Foley go? Let me guess - can’t put the loss on him, wasn’t our worst player, did more than enough to justify being picked for the next 10 tests. Nobody better than him coming through . blah blah...

Foley needs to be on top of a solid list of players who are stamped “Never to play again” when it comes to the wallabies!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It was a predictably negative way to end the worst year in Wallaby rugby in recent memory.
Surely something has to give?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah Beale and Foley have been doing the exact same thing.
Kicking is a skill. At times throughout his career Beale has been pretty good at it. Foley lacks range and Reese Hodge with the long range accurate cannon is rarely used. Ditto DHP. Poor execution or poor tactics..........or both

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What to say?

I remain convinced that the players themselves have nothing to do with the primary problems.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah Beale and Foley have been doing the exact same thing.
I’ve been fairly vocal about To'omua’s costly kicking game in the past. Just to clarify, I like him as a player but as a 12 and we are never going to be able to capitalize on his strengths if he’s given the tactical kicking responsibilities.
I tend to agree with JB
Kicking is a skill. At times throughout his career Beale has been pretty good at it. Foley lacks range and Reese Hodge with the long range accurate cannon is rarely used. Ditto DHP. Poor execution or poor tactics....or both

Beale was awful against Wales and appeared to be trying to take matters into his own hands in desperation - which isn’t an excuse but it was an anomaly and just tipified his current poor form. Foley’s kicks are sometimes ineffective or poorly executed but I maintain he is the least worst option at 10, while still not good enough by world standards. I think Quade is the only 10 who has the potential to be better, and we will see how he shapes up next year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Rodda best for the Wallabies again. Dempsey improving with match fitness. To'omua kicking too much, as were Genia and Foley. Apart from that, To'omua showed more attacking class at 10 than we've had for quite a few years. The backline defensive shambles continues. Maddocks attacking on left wing but defending in 13 even on the RHS of the field. DHP continually shuffling between Right and Left Wings. Genia at the back without a clue of how to defend in that last line.

There are no excuses for the complete and utter failure this year has been.

#sackcheikanow.

Reactions: gel

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sack Cheika and appoint who?

For a number of years now that has been the kicker. Last thing we need is for Cheika's succession plan to be enacted. I have for a while, called for RA/Castle to be testing options in the background. If that has not happened, about the only obvious options are up and coming coaches nowhere near ready for it.

Otherwise possibly Jake, and I'm not convinced that would be a great move in the medium term.

Reg, regardless of the accuracy of your question, inaction must surely be put under scrutiny at this stage? They do have an off-season to thinks things through more thoroughly.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
I don’t think they’ll get rid of Cheika as the board backed him only 2 months ago. To do that would be be for Clyne and Castlel to admit failure, and that’s not something Boards and CEO’s do these days.

If they bin Cheika (which they won’t) I reckon sign Jake White to short term contract to get through to the end of RWC and then find a full time coach post that.

Longer term it would be great to get someone like Jamie Joesph or Dave Rennie.

I’ve read some quotes attributed to Eddie Jones post match where he basically said it doesn’t matter who you put in charge of the Wallabies as the whole system is broken.

Again, to change this would require a complete change of direction for Aust rugby and that’s not something the current Board would consider. Anyway, if they tried a big reform they’d most likely fuck it up.

We can piss and moan about on-field performance, but off-field performance is far worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.