• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Yep.

I'd add that I still give Sorovi a good chance to upseat McDermott to the starting spot. Also what experience does AS-Y have at lock? None? Need to re-think the reserve forwards a touch.

I’d prefer Sorovi also but doubt he will be the starting by round 1

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t understand the logic of Petaia playing 15. It would seem to me the worst spot for his abilities out of 15, 13 or wing.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I don’t understand the logic of Petaia playing 15. It would seem to me the worst spot for his abilities out of 15, 13 or wing.

He has looked pretty solid under the high ball.

I am intrigued by him playing 15 but think his future is at outside centre

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
This will be reds starting team for round 1

1. JP Smith
2. Brandon Panega-Amosa
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Izack Rodda
5. Lukan Salakai-Loto
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. Liam Wright
8. Caleb Timu
9. Tate McDermott
10. Hamish Stewart
11. Filipo Daugunu
12. Jordan Petaia
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Sefa Naivalu
15. Aidan Toua
16. Ruan Smith
17. Alex Mafi
18. Harry Hoopert
19. Angus Scott-Young
20. Adam Korzych
21. Moses Sorovi
22. Duncan Paia'aua
23. Chris Feautia-Sautia

...Nice line up, so where's the purchase of McGahan fit into all of this?.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
He's a backup 10/15. May not be in the best 23 but doesn't mean he won't see game time. Lots of positions up for grabs there still

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
it's hard to say until anyone has really seen him play.

Something just doesn't feel right.. He's 25 years old so has plenty of good experience, there's miles of footage about him, he is a pretty good pilot from what I've seen, he's moved countries for the love of the game & I presume money.. & dont forget his old man is a good mate of Thorns. So I would be very surprised not to see him in the 23.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Something just doesn't feel right.. He's 25 years old so has plenty of good experience, there's miles of footage about him, he is a pretty good pilot from what I've seen, he's moved countries for the love of the game & I presume money.. & dont forget his old man is a good mate of Thorns. So I would be very surprised not to see him in the 23.

when I say "until anyone has seen him play" I mean us punters. I expect the coaches have seen plenty of him.

what's the connection between Hugh and Brad?

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
when I say "until anyone has seen him play" I mean us punters. I expect the coaches have seen plenty of him.

what's the connection between Hugh and Brad?

According to my Dad who played along side Hugh it was Hugh that convinced Brads Dad to sent a letter to Wayne Bennett & that they both mentored each other at low points of their lives.. Hugh involved in some shifty shit & Thorn hitting the piss and not give a rats ass about to much, apparent there for each other..

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Fair enough. Can't keep them all and hopefully Stewart will be 10 for a while. We also have Carter Gordon who will develop nicely in the next few years

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Lucas also way ahead of both of these guys

I’m presuming that Stewart is not one of “both of these guys”. Stewart has strengths a plenty even given his developing status.

He drives me nuts by playing an extra 7 when he is in D. For good reason you would never see that from Quade. But times change. Stewarts creativity isnt really building. He works a formula well. He does have an awesome cut out pass, a reasonable kick pass, and a great staying to the Thorn script. He is ballsy running in traffic too.

Unfortunately it’s not my idea of a 10 I’m looking for. But then I’m a dinosaur and the specifics of the roles are changing.

One thing that doesn’t change is the need for creativity at the Reds. The question we need to ask is, if not 10, who?

Usually choices would be 12 or 15. Though these days 13 might figure.

Where might we be headed?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think it depends how they configure the backs. If they play Paia’aua at 12, then he provides the creativity, possibly alongside Toua or Daugunu from 15.

If Kerevi plays 12 then I am not sure he will be creative as such, but I think he’ll be expected to improve his passing & offloading to add a dimension to our attack while the 15 will be a more creative player.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
This will be reds starting team for round 1

1. JP Smith
2. Brandon Panega-Amosa
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Izack Rodda
5. Lukan Salakai-Loto
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. Liam Wright
8. Caleb Timu
9. Tate McDermott
10. Hamish Stewart
11. Filipo Daugunu
12. Jordan Petaia
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Sefa Naivalu
15. Aidan Toua
16. Ruan Smith
17. Alex Mafi
18. Harry Hoopert
19. Angus Scott-Young
20. Adam Korzych
21. Moses Sorovi
22. Duncan Paia'aua
23. Chris Feautia-Sautia
I would rather an extra forward on the bench.

I dont really see the need for CFS if you have both Sorovi and Paia'aua on the bench. CFS seems limited in what he can cover and DP can cover a lot more positions.