• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket: Summer 2018-19

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Definitely would be a different ball game if India could put up some sort of total before Kohli came to the crease. Unfortunately for India, Shaw, who they were looking to bring in as an opener, has returned home with an ankle injury.

We really need our guys to start kicking on and getting hundreds in the next two matches. Most of our batsmen have had multiple starts but haven’t gone on with it. If the pitches are a little flatter I can see the Indian batting lineup performing a lot better. Rahane for one has looked threatening in all the innings he’s played and I imagine it’s only a matter of time before he gets a big one.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Is Marsh the new F U Watson: just when his spot's in peril he puts together some sort of innings to save his arse. That 45 in the first innings was only so-so in my book, but, we desperately need a good score (WAY better than 45 fer starters) in the second dig to win this test. A pathetic total of 5 should be grounds for dismissal. At 35 years of age he, surely, can't be kept for his future potential.

What we see in this test is what he's always been, and always will be: inconsistent to the point of enfuriariting. F U Watson personified.

See Post #23 Lindo. I agree that Sean Marsh is the new Shane Watson. The Aussie team really should be able to find someone who is more consistent, and therefore better.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
To me it's fairly balanced. India have the clearly superior top six, but our tail is much stronger. Pace bowling is pretty even, but we have the better spinner.
I agree with others we need some batsmen to go on to hundreds, but I'm afraid Khawaja is the only test quality batsman in the side, with perhaps Harris and Head the potential to get there, but still have their trainer wheels on at this level. The others, I just don't think have the ability. The problem is, there are no obvious replacements.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Last chance, Marshes. Definitely last chance for both of you. Shaun, runs please. And wickets from you, Mitch.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Meanwhile in Christchurch:

i.png

That's 6/4 in 15 balls, four of them lbw.

EDIT: it's being suggested that five wickets in 11 balls may be a Test record, Monty Noble, Jacques Kallis and Kemar Roach each having taken five in 12.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25620562/trent-boult-wrecked-sri-lanka

Video to follow.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We'll be lucky to get 5 wickets in the entire test given the diabolical state of the MCG wicket. Feel sorry for the 70k+ people who turned up to watch.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
These posers reckon they're the best cricket players since Buddha walked the earth, and they can only score 212 runs in a day's play on a flat pitch! Pathetic. HTF they think they can win a series in Australia's beyond me.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's just depressing how poor this current generation of batsmen are in Australia. Poor technique, lack of temperament and an inability to play a long innings. I know the track is starting to keep low, but they're just getting outplayed here. That said, we worried about our quicks a few years ago and now have a pretty useful attack.

We'll lose this test by an innings I reckon.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ defecit of 292 on first innings, India probably have no option but to enforce the follow-on (not enough time to bat again, set an unattainable target (such as the 660 NZ have set SL) & take 10 wickets).

EDIT: follow-on not enforced which I find somewhat surprising.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I find it surprising too. What I also got from the Cricinfo commentary was a link to this fine article, which nails precisely the issue with batting in Australia at the minute:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24987699/what-does-sheffield-shield-stand-2018

A more damning indictment of the pathways in Australian cricket you'd struggle to find. We've gone completely away from what made us the best cricket nation on Earth and we're now paying the price.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's (justified) overconfidence. They want to force our quicks to spend another day out in the paddock. Wear them out for Sydney. They are confident they can bowl us out in short order.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ even if that proves to be the case it might well also restore said bowlers confidence after the shellacking they took in the first Innings. As they say in the classics: never, ever, EVER take your foot off the other guy's throat.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^ even if that proves to be the case it might well also restore said bowlers confidence after the shellacking they took in the first Innings. As they say in the classics: never, ever, EVER take your foot off the other guy's throat.
Looking the case at the moment, India 5 for 50 odd.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Not sure how I feel about that stumps score, other than wishing we weren't batting last on a wicket that has suddenly fallen apart. I honestly think India could have enforced the follow on, but maybe they were worried about getting skittled for a low total on that track late on day 4 or 5. That would suppose we'd make enough to have them bat again though.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's just depressing how poor this current generation of batsmen are in Australia. Poor technique, lack of temperament and an inability to play a long innings. I know the track is starting to keep low, but they're just getting outplayed here. That said, we worried about our quicks a few years ago and now have a pretty useful attack.

We'll lose this test by an innings I reckon.

Amazingly to me, at least, the Indians elected to bat again. Although they are going down like ten pins, they'll win comfortably by a couple of hundred runs.