• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
interesting. After Easts won the Premiership that year Gunn was hailed as the heir to Gill. Very hyped but just before the Thorn era.
Reds have had a very strong group of back rowers come through their ranks recently. I suppose you can only sign so many

B

Bobby Sands

Gunn was overhyped because he put the worlds biggest hit on Rod Davies when he was 18.

Ironically an even younger Churchie 7 took his spot.

I wish him well, an honest, hard working toiler.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
confirming (somewhat) pre-season trials:

Friday February 1

Rebels vs Reds, Mars Stadium, Ballarat, TBC

Friday February 8

Reds vs Chiefs, Ballymore, TBC

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It was dumped...

not too much of a surprise really. For me it lost credibility when it featured golden oldies in the squads. Promotion overtook substance.

I still watched it but did not think it really hit the mark, people want to see quality rugby when it involves a final.

Watching lesser quality rugby when it is a trial is ok as it is not a tournament but seeing second rate quality in a tournament that features a winner has never sat well with me, it lessens the pride in winning the tournament.

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hewat I am sure will shop himself around in Japan or even perhaps league.

Gunn is sticking around to play club footy but no more pro-rugby. He's thinking long term career stuff now.

Thorn's involvement certainly has ended a lot of good careers around Gunnies age 23/24 ish. I guess Thorn didn't know as much about that age group as he does about his 20/21 year olds. I'm predicting this season will tell if he's right or not, its going to be a huge ask for those young kids @ Super Rugby level. Good Luck to them, because they are going to need it.

B

Bobby Sands

Thorn's involvement certainly has ended a lot of good careers around Gunnies age 23/24 ish. I guess Thorn didn't know as much about that age group as he does about his 20/21 year olds. I'm predicting this season will tell if he's right or not, its going to be a huge ask for those young kids @ Super Rugby level. Good Luck to them, because they are going to need it.

Gunn was never up to it & Hewat was a young superstar that was a naughty boy. That simple.

Thorn works with the players every single day. Incredibly naive to think he “doesn’t know them.”

I agree he might have cognitive bias to players he has coached in other programs, as all humans do, but it isn’t through lack of exposed form or data.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

really? Who?

B

Bobby Sands

really? Who?

Not sure but the amount of young QLD backrowers that has been blooded at Super level and not made it recently is staggering; Browning, Shatz, Quirk (arguable), Lolo, Butler, Gunn, Hewat et al.

The ones who have; Pocock (not offered senior contract because of Croft - 100% fact), McMahon (considered surplus), Gill (not sure, but needs to be brought home) are all playing elsewhere :(

B

Bobby Sands

Jesus! That Thorn has really made all those guys leave. Who would have thought!i

I’m not sure if you’re stupid (although that is my leaning) but that was not the logic that I was spouting if you read posts with context.

Read the thread in totality, and contribute or continue be a childish sidelining pedant.

The original point was that Gunn & Hewat left for different reasons (performance and discipline).

The fact does remain however, seperate from perceived or actualised bias, that the elite backrow talent that is being selected in qld is not being actualised or staying.

This is not a Thorn matter, but it is a state matter as far as identifying and developing talent.

To simplify for you Sully, actually nah, don’t worry about it.