• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Politics always play a role in sporting teams. Parents are usually the instigators of this behaviour. Take the parents out of the equation and the school/coaches would have the confidence to make changes without the backlash. Over the past 25 years of being a parent and a coach, I have seen a hell of a lot in sporting team, particularly in the private school sector. Kid’s positions in the first team can be bought.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Politics always play a role in sporting teams. Parents are usually the instigators of this behaviour. Take the parents out of the equation and the school/coaches would have the confidence to make changes without the backlash. Over the past 25 years of being a parent and a coach, I have seen a hell of a lot in sporting team, particularly in the private school sector. Kid’s positions in the first team can be bought.
Not if the school wants to win First XV premierships as regularly as NC do , might get you a spot in the A’s in the younger age groups , but a school like NC normally get it pretty spot on come First XV.

Reactions: vac

intheknow2012

Bob McCowan (2)
So you’re suggesting that a 1stXV coach at a GPS school would select a player who is clearly not the best fit for the team in his position because he’s worried he might get yelled at by the player’s Parents or cop some backlash ? You really think that would be a factor in a coaches decision making, even at this level where there’s a fair bit of pressure to succeed....? Again, give me an example where this has happened ??
When you’re in the car park listening to other parents whinge about selection and how there’s politics involved, I challenge you to look at both sides of the argument. Maybe as Parents, we watch our sons through a different set of lenses. You may disagree with a selection, but don’t play the ‘politics’ rubbish, Understand that the coaches have to make decisions, and someone has to miss out - and it could be your little Johnny, who may just be behind another player who can fulfill what the coaches require. A different coach, a different game plan, a different combination of players - and the selection decisions are different.
We lose a lot of good coaches because they get sick of putting up with whinging Parents. Better coaches= a better experience for our sons. Communication is key, and by Opens, we need to teach our kids how to communicate with the coaches to get feedback; and we stay out of it, and enjoy from the sidelines. There will be disappointment with selection - particularly at schools with lots of depth; but that’s life...

G

GingerBreadCrab

So you’re suggesting that a 1stXV coach at a GPS school would select a player who is clearly not the best fit for the team in his position because he’s worried he might get yelled at by the player’s Parents or cop some backlash ? You really think that would be a factor in a coaches decision making, even at this level where there’s a fair bit of pressure to succeed..? Again, give me an example where this has happened ??
When you’re in the car park listening to other parents whinge about selection and how there’s politics involved, I challenge you to look at both sides of the argument. Maybe as Parents, we watch our sons through a different set of lenses. You may disagree with a selection, but don’t play the ‘politics’ rubbish, Understand that the coaches have to make decisions, and someone has to miss out - and it could be your little Johnny, who may just be behind another player who can fulfill what the coaches require. A different coach, a different game plan, a different combination of players - and the selection decisions are different.
We lose a lot of good coaches because they get sick of putting up with whinging Parents. Better coaches= a better experience for our sons. Communication is key, and by Opens, we need to teach our kids how to communicate with the coaches to get feedback; and we stay out of it, and enjoy from the sidelines. There will be disappointment with selection - particularly at schools with lots of depth; but that’s life.

You're straw-manning me. I haven't suggested any of what you've said - in fact, quite the opposite.

I'm not a parent, so can speak quite liberally and objectively, which (in my opinion) is more bearable than the tripe that is vocalised by any parent support committee. I'm well-versed in such discussions.

It's the second time now that I've tried to promote the skills and potential of an athlete, and had my opinion discounted because it is seemingly impossible for anyone in the GPS community to want to advance Australian Rugby in an altruistic manner.

I would love to talk about other GPS School rugby programs, and promote their students, but my wealth of knowledge doesn't extend that far. I haven't seen them in action - I can only attest to skill sets that I have seen first-hand.

If you think that all schoolboy coaches know how to communicate feedback correctly, and produce the best results from an athlete, then you're wrong. This does not even occur at a professional level, or a Super Rugby level.
Where there's smoke there is fire, and there is a reason we are discussing athletes from Australia heading overseas to pursue professional opportunities they are being denied here. Some need a new environment to flourish.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
If you look at Nudgee’s backline last year ..where do you play Green ?

The twins had a helluva year ( especially the 12 ) Flook was outstanding ( for me the form 13 of last year’s Comp ) , Atkinson not far behind , and Bennett and Banjo speak for themselves

I don't feel this year's backline will be as good as last year's . I don't know that the guys coming into the back row are of the same cut as the guys they are replacing ( one of them probably is ) , same with the guys coming into the front row . Locks are the same or an upgrade - so a definite tick there

I wouldn't be ready to Crown them Kings - they certainly deserve respect , teams just got to be careful not to get unduly awestruck

#9 Finn
#10 Jayden
#12 Reesjan
#14 Banyo
#15 Maybe Tapuosi

Fill in the blanks.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I reckon they'll play Reesjan at 10 , Ulia at 12 , Tapuosi at 13 , Waia on the left wing , Banjo on the right wing and your boy Green at 15

I hope they play Reesjan at 12 though . I think it evens up the playing field . I mean there are match ups that are a lot more containable at 12 compared to the gross imbalance at 10

There is also Angus and Athen for the back 3.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Reesjan is a natural 12 IMO. Nudgee will play him at 10 unless they have found another lad to control the game as well as he has.
Nudgee's formula is size matters in school boy footy and a sprinkle of brains, footwork and speed are the final garnishes to the butcher boys cleaver.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Yep, It's called 3 boy's that can play in the front row (just, as they u19 rule allows the scrum to only move 1m)), and 5 back rowers. But as long as they have mass + speed = momentum to bend the line.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
There are a few year 11 lads coming through this year which will be interesting to see their progression in firsts.

David Vaihu GT - Centre
Ezra Howe BSHS - Centre
Mason Gordon BBC #10
Floyd Aubrey Marist #15 OUTSTANDING
Nick Baker Marist #6

terry from Townsville

Allen Oxlade (6)
any team with a heavy emphasis on u16 boys won’t do much have a look at nudgee they probably will have a full 15 of 18 and 17 year olds. It seems ok if you have a winger or maybe even a scrum half but anything outside of that means also rans

terry from Townsville

Allen Oxlade (6)
the exception to this rule over the last 2 years were nudgee and tss who came across special players. Players like Pasitoa come along maybe once every 10 years in fact I don’t know if anyone has ever won with an u16 first five. I’m sure people will tell me but the list would be short . TSS should have won with Paratas kicking game and the muscle of Gerard as 16 year olds combined with what they had in the older boys .parata and Gerard were special once every so often players .

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Players like Pasiota come along maybe once every 10 years in fact I don’t know if anyone has ever won with an u16 first five. I’m sure people will tell me but the list would be short.

Funnily enough, the last three Premierships have been won by Grade 11 students.

2018 - Nudgee: Pasitoa (17 yo)
2017 - TSS/NC: Parata (17) / Pasitoa (16)
2016 - BSHS: Isaac Crone (16)
2015 - Churchie: Brodie Croft (18)
2014 - Churchie: Mack Mason (18)
2013 - NC: James Tuttle (17)
2012 - BGS: Sam Greene (18)
2011 - NC: Billy Brittain (17)

terry from Townsville

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting I don't think what grade they are in matters but their age group does which tells how special pasitoa is when he won as a 16 year old. Don’t even know crone what is he doing these days ? They had petaia didn’t they ? Again once every so often player

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Interesting I don’t think what grade they are in matters but their age group does which tells how special pasitoa is when he won as a 16 year old. Don’t even know crone what is he doing these days ? They had petaia didn’t they ? Again once every so often player

He was playing flyhalf for Sunnybank's Premier Colts in 2018.

Crone had some pretty special teammates.

The two big ones were Murray Taulagi (Kangaroos Under-20s) and Jordan Petaia, who was an ankle injury away from being the fourth youngest Wallaby ever

Tighthead Moses Alo'Emile is a pro player at Stade Français. No.8 Pat Tafa is now in the Waratahs main squad.

Flanker Josh Fenner spent some time in the Leicester Tigers academy before coming back to play NRC and QLD Under-20s, and #12 Quentin Mahina is playing semi-pro rugby in the Japanese University system.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
It should also be worth noting - I thought Matt To'omua , who I believe Pasitoa most closely resembles , was also on that list , however , BSHS did not win with him as a young blood

One of the greats to never win a GPS Premiership.

He played in the 2006 Grand Final vs Jono Lance, Slipper, Simmons, Tapuai, Morahan et al but went down 11-20.

Lance was in his first season of First XV Rugby but was aged 17 due to the NSW connection. He was 18 in 2007 when he went back-to-back.

Likewise, Quade Cooper won the Premiership in Grade 11 at Churchie, but was a year older than his peers.

In his final year Quade beat To'omua 31-19 but lost to Lance's TSS side 23-20 the week after. A round one loss to Nudgee (and James O'Connor) and a round eight loss to GT (who only won three games all year) relegated Quade to the mid-table in 2006.