• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 1 - Brumbies v Rebels - Fri 15th@7:45pm

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Big, big vote of confidence in Slipper and Pulu. I'm amazed that our starting wingers aren't Muirhead and Taliauli, but the gap between our top four wingers (sorry Peni) is not that large at all.

McCaffrey very deserving of the start. I said many times last year that he should be called up to the Wallabies on his form, and he's definitely carried that same form over into the trials. If he continues it, he'll be our Fardy-lite. Lord knows we need it.

If Fainga'a has regressed with his lineouts and scrummaging again, he shouldn't start next week. We have Mann-Rea and McInerney as options, and both are solid-at-worst in the set piece. If Fainga'a has kept some sort of set piece form, then he's far and away the best option.

Ultimately, this is a team that I would back to beat every team in our conference.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Last year it was typically close of business 2 days beforehand: if that holds true expect it late this afternoon.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
teams up

no Coleman, no Sa'aga, 6/2 bench

much as expected, if they went 5/3 i thought Tuipolotu would get a gig, also not surprised Ha'angana there, i expected him and Leota to battle fro reserve back row spot, on the assumption that Jones would be bench second row and Coleman starting. also thought Daley would be ahead of Gibbon

1. Tetera Faulkner
  2. Anaru Rangi
  3. Jermaine Ainsley
  4. Luke Jones
  5. Matt Philip
  6. Angus Cottrell
  7. Richard Hardwick
  8. Isi Naisarani
  9. Will Genia
  10. Quade Cooper
  11. Marika Koroibete
  12. Billy Meakes
  13. Tom English
  14. Jack Maddocks
  15. Dane Haylett-Petty ©
  16. Robbie Abel
  17. Matt Gibbon
  18. Sam Talakai
  19. Esei Ha’angana
  20. Brad Wilkin
  21. Rob Leota
  22. Michael Ruru
  23. Semisi Tupou

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd say they might have us in the lineout but the Carter-Arnold-McCaffrey lineout combo should kill them, especially if Rangi reverts to throwing wounded ducks. And boy am I excited to see Abel come off the bench; there's a reason we didn't fight to keep him (why did non-Brumbeis fans think he was better than Mann-Rea?).

Also totally ready for this to blow up in my face, but screw it; I already thought it, why not write it down?

B

Bobby Sands

Lee Grant, the GOAT, used to froth about Lachlan McCaffrey.

Brumbies in a second gear.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
So Sa'aga, Daley, Erasmus and Fa'amausili all injured? Good for Gibbon, I guess, but 8th choice...

Abel over Roach is interesting too (assuming Roach is fit), and Haangana over Jeffries

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
Great opportunity for the Brumbies to start the season off with a win... Brimbies forwards do their job well. The Rebels will have a long night. The old firm Genia & Cooperba k together... certainly by interesting got see if there is still pace and understanding between them... I’m not expecting to see the clock wound back.., Copper hasn’t played st this level for well over a year now...

Leo to start give the Brumbies a shot of pace with Hawera later in the match. He looked dry sharp in the trials... Look’n forward to this match... Brumbies at home with the Rebels missing key players I’d say then Brumbies by +13... first try Valentini

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Far too much optimism on this thread from Brumbies' fans. No match will be a walkover, and at this early stage any game could go either way.

I am hanging out to see that the Brumbies play with the same intent and freedom as they finished last year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's the right decision IMO...

Samu to me is a master of none who will better serve the team as a super sub, except in the matches where Pocock is rested and in that situation I would look at probably having him and Cusack in the starting team, with McCaffrey dropping back to the bench.

Cusack unlucky to miss out, but it was down to him and Samu on the bench.

Samu had an immediate impact against the Tahs. Made excellent metres through the middle, and got a turnover iirc at at least one ruck. I don't think any of the other loose forwards even challenged for possession at ruck time, and that's exactly how I remember them playing from last year as well. Certainly, without Pocock, Samu must play and I think should go into the No 7 spot. But he also has an impact otherwise that I think will be judged to be quite valuable as the season progresses.