• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 1 - Brumbies v Rebels - Fri 15th@7:45pm

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agreed about JJH instead of Simone. Thought Simone was rather anonymous. I'd be pretty pleased if I were a Brumbies fan. Lineouts can be shored up relatively quickly and it looks like TK and Speight have decided to turn up which is great. Was Speight subbed off because of an injury? I thought he was deadly every time with the ball. How fantastic was it to be able to sub on Sio after Slipper, that's scary.

I know it wasn't a direct match up, but I thought Maddocks definitely had the wood over Banks tonight for all those keeping score in the "which youngster for Wobs supersub" race.

For the Rebels I thought Genia and Isi had the start of a great combination. Really worked well off each other. Scrum was absolutely shocking, I just feel bad for the front row, when it's so blindingly obvious they're so poor compared to the rest. Rebels conceded 11 penalties to the Brumbies' 6 and still looked dominant in the 2nd half. Imagine how the Rebels would go with a semi decent scrum.

Positive signs for both teams and fantastic to have rugby back.
I wouldn’t be too down on the Brums L/O, Jones is a very good technician other teams will struggle as well.

Pocock loss was massive as he would of slowed the ball down, overall the better team won but considering recent seasons a decent showing from two Aus teams

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
On Quade..mixed in defence which always been big issue for Quade as reputation for his turnstyle defence but in fairness would not say latter was what he displayed but rather like said 'mixed' and 'reserve judgement'

I personally think Thorn dumping Quade could be best thing for his career if he still has the fire.as part of me does wonder he became a little complacent at the Reds..and needed the reality check to rekickstart his pro rugby career and status as playmaker vs media maker...
Agreed. While I’m not as gushing at the Fox team, I thought he played well in attack and made the right decision to come to the Rebels and play off the best Australian 9 again. His defence has to improve, but hopefully that will come when he plays more at this level

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Agreed. While I’m not as gushing at the Fox team, I thought he played well in attack and made the right decision to come to the Rebels and play off the best Australian 9 again. His defence has to improve, but hopefully that will come when he plays more at this level
I don't agree that his defence has to improve, he just needs to stop throwing high arms.

Plenty of shite defenders at 10 going round. Farrell and Sexton are generally the exceptions.

Just don't play him at 10 with Beale on his inside.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
All the criticism on Quades tackling he made one try saver in the first half and had a few very important tackles for the half.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't agree that his defence has to improve, he just needs to stop throwing high arms.

Plenty of shite defenders at 10 going round. Farrell and Sexton are generally the exceptions.

Just don't play him at 10 with Beale on his inside.
His defence needs to improve by not being a turnstile by throwing high arms. I don’t care who is outside him, everyone should have a job to do in attack AND defence

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
His defence needs to improve by not being a turnstile by throwing high arms. I don’t care who is outside him, everyone should have a job to do in attack AND defence

Agree Silverado, I thought QC (Quade Cooper) played bloody well, but certainly got a few things he needs to work on still, tackling being main thing. As I said thought he went well, but not quite as good as Marto and sidekicks on Fox said, at one stage Marto raved about a lovely little pass he did, which was unfortunately straight into Powell's arms :confused:!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
If Quade can eliminate the high tackle that produces a penalty/yellow card every game that would be a good start. Work on not being such a cat when defending in the line after that.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I have to agree on Quade’s Defense. I often think the criticism is overdone, but he can be so critical to teams performance oppositions will target his space. This happens anyway in the 10-12 channel it is a glowing flag with Quade. OTOH it was good to see something of his glory days step and spin back along with a willingness to attack. Will and Quade had the attack line VERY flat and willing to work in traffic.

What struck me though is this is not a line built around Quade. It is an attacking attitude that Wessles seems to be designing that Quade just happens to fit well. Most obvious example was Meakes cross field kick pass for Maddocks to score. Quade new there was an opportunity wide but so did the whole attack line. Beautiful.

Weakness in the scrum was somewhat made up by wins against the throw in the line out. Who would have guessed a Rebel LO advantage?

Pocock was missed, have we heard how he’s doing? Brumby scrum and maul are weapons. I think Lealiifano is an interesting choice at 10 and I think it has legs on it. What a pity we did not have these 10s around last year to pressure for WBs. Bit late for the RWC 2019.

A great season opener, thanks Brumbies and Rebels.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
Great to see the Rebels attacking at the advantage line. Not something we've seen in Aust rugby for many years. Meakes had a wonderful match.
The Brumbies really lack direction in the backline. They seem to be able to get into attacking positions easily enough, but fail to finish.
Overall the match was surprisingly good skill wise for an early season go 'round.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
English. Good player, solid, but not championship material.

I disagree, there is a lot to be said for the champion team v champion player argument.

I see English as a very reliable player who wont let you down, he may not have the ability to score a brilliant individual try, but he wont cost you one either.

Kind of like Anthony Faiinga for the Reds, was never the biggest superstar but extremely valuable to the team.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
One thing I can't stop thinking about is that DHP is not the right man for captain. It's all to do with his position, needed the captain to be close to talk to the ref at scrum time.

Brumbies scrum was dominant early, the rest of the time they won penalties that should have gone the other way.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Agree Silverado, I thought QC (Quade Cooper) played bloody well, but certainly got a few things he needs to work on still, tackling being main thing. As I said thought he went well, but not quite as good as Marto and sidekicks on Fox said, at one stage Marto raved about a lovely little pass he did, which was unfortunately straight into Powell's arms :confused:!
I dunno if we are likely to see any radical progress at 30.

Anyway i stand by my point, he doesn't need to be great, just not get sent off.

All three of the AB 10s are iffy in defence. McKenzie is just tiny, Mo-unga gets burned fairly easily and Barrett the best but still pretty average.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I disagree, there is a lot to be said for the champion team v champion player argument.

I see English as a very reliable player who wont let you down, he may not have the ability to score a brilliant individual try, but he wont cost you one either.

Kind of like Anthony Faiinga for the Reds, was never the biggest superstar but extremely valuable to the team.

He is a great squad member, every good team has them eg crusaders a player that can slot in and get the job done

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Ignoring the knock on over the line?

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Ignoring the knock on over the line?

Where he was ankle tapped by Kuridrani? Bit rough on him there.

I wonder whether, if for whatever reason Quade had needed to leave the field injured, Maddocks would have gone to 10? Or else, who? Meakes? Ruru?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Where he was ankle tapped by Kuridrani? Bit rough on him there.

I wonder whether, if for whatever reason Quade had needed to leave the field injured, Maddocks would have gone to 10? Or else, who? Meakes? Ruru?
Most likely Meakes or push DHP to 10

I am yet to be convinced Maddocks could play 10. He’s going to be a brilliant fullback, just don’t think he has to time with ball in hand to play there. DHP on the other hand is in slow motion, I’d be looking at him if anything.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If Quade can eliminate the high tackle that produces a penalty/yellow card every game that would be a good start. Work on not being such a cat when defending in the line after that.

I actually thought that when Quade did the high tackle he had let the player through the line so he didn't have to take him head on anyway, then chased him down for the high tackle.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Most likely Meakes or push DHP to 10.

I am yet to be convinced Maddocks could play 10. He’s going to be a brilliant fullback, just don’t think he has to time with ball in hand to play there. DHP on the other hand is in slow motion, I’d be looking at him if anything.

The whole back line is bought into the process. What is important is not really who slots at 10, but the back line continues on the course. From yesterday I'd be tempted to shift Meakes in, though I don't at all suggest he would be a great 10, just that he has the system engrained and could continue with it from 10.

BTW this story that DHP is not right a captain from FB is a blinkered view imo. You MUST have leaders up front. Don't think this is missing. At all. And a captain who really sees the shape of the team could be valuable.