• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2 - Reds vs Highlanders at Forsyth Barr

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Highlanders with the benefit of a win in the first round & home ground advantage. Reds with the ‘benefit’ of minimal expectations.

My preferred team has fluctuated. I am guessing it will be very similiar to the team that played the Chiefs.

My preferred team -

1. Fotuaika/Hoopert - honestly not sure on this team one
2. Paenga-Amosa
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Salakaia-Loto
6. Higginbotham
7. Wright (although wouldn’t mind seeing Korcyzk)
8. Timu
9. McDermott
10. Stewart
11. Petaia
12. Paia’aua
13. Kerevi
14. Naivalu
15. Hegarty
16. Mafi
17. JP Smith (if fit)
18. Ruan Smith
19. Hockings
20. Scott-Young
21. Sorovi
22. Feauai-Sautia
23. Daugunu

The good news is that is pretty close to full strength. JP Smith off the bench if available due to return from injury, but otherwise close to the best we can field.

Places where I think Thorn is most likely to differ
- ASY (Angus Scott-Young) maybe to start in the back row
- Halfback
- Centres

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Naiavalu is also at risk in my opinion, trial form was average and he has lost a meter of pace. Not the speedster he once was.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hegarty at fullback will be the second playmaker in the team, In the trial matches he floated into the line a number of times to provide that 2nd option. I don’t see Paia’aua starting, centre pairing will either be Samu-Chris or Samu-Jordan with Jordan and Sefa on the wings. Which leaves Filipo and Duncan to come off the bench later in the game.

JP is fit again I’ve heard so he will start, on the bench Fotuaika is the better scrummager but Harry has the fitness to actually play 80. So I think they’ll go with Harry for this match.

Not sure which halfback will get the nod, my preference is Tate since he has better combinations with Caleb and Hamish, but Moses provides a bit more composure.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
My only thing with the ‘playmaker vs runner’ is Paia’aua is a good runner of the ball as well. He is a different ball runner than CFS with better agility, but I don’t see that as a negative part of his game personally.

Having said that, I suspect you will be right in your selections.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Was tough watching the first round with no Reds. I`m excited to get the season going but the lack of a match will go against us.

I think Higgers will start at 8 with Timu at 6. I really do like ASY (Angus Scott-Young) so I`d like him to be rotated through the back row but don`t think he should be starting yet.

I think Sefa is class but I haven`t seen much this year so I`m hopeful he`s at the level I expect him to be.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
1. Smith
2. BPA
3. TT
4. Rodda
5. Loto
6. Timu
7. Wright
8. Highers

9. Tate
10. Stewart
11. CFS
12. Duncan
13. Kerevi
14. Petaia
15. Hegarty

16. Mafi
17. Fotu
18. Smith
19. Hockings
20. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
21. Moses
22. Daungunu
23. Sefa

IMO our best backline. CFS was the best ball running/carrying back in the australian conference before his injury last year. I'm hoping he can pick that back up. I think Duncan is the most talented and well rounded player in our back stocks, cannot understand the reds not starting him. Half back flip of the coin. Back 3 have plenty of depth if someone isn't performing with plenty of options in the centers as the game progresses as well if needed. 3 servicable 10s.

Forwards pick themselves except for 7. Wright gets first crack for me as he is more of a 7 than any of the other options except that young fella from brothers.

All in all I think we have a good matchday 23. Will be an interesting year to see which of the younger guys step up to super footy.

RED RED RED

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yaaaaawn what’s the point of having wingers if those two are in the centres. I really struggle to be optimistic for this weekend’s match, I think we’re going to get spanked.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don’t know. Yes a strategy of “ bish-bash” does not excite. OTOH we are locked in to Thorn, also doesn’t excite (me), but you’d be mad to think he does not have something to contribute. I’m irked at the (so far unproven but probably true) suggestions that DP isn’t going to get much of a go, but we are indelibly locked on Thorn. Let’s see what it can do.

It’s not going to be a Link 2011 but we don’t know what it IS going to be. Look I have my (very publicised) reticence in “Thornball” but the thing is we don’t yet know it’s strengths.

Can’t deny that I have more interest in non-Red franchises than I have ever had. Waratahs (Hunt), Brumbies (Slipper), Rebels (Yay Cooper and Genia) - of course there are others.

BUT We have a new crop of youngsters who look the goods, and Thorn has McKay in his team.

Let’s see what that does. Really looking forward to it.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The Reds gave the ‘Canes a good run for their money in Wellington last year, I wouldn’t count them out yet. Hegarty can fill in at flyhalf to take the pressure off Stewart and can direct play a lot better than any of the options the Reds had at fullback last year. The Reds may well use Kerevi and CFS as short options for Stewart with Hegarty playing as the link out the back.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I can understand having Kerevi and CFS as the centres to start. It would be nice to see Petaia moved to 13 in the second half and him and CFS start in different rolls throughout the season.

I also like Hegarty at 15, can take some pressure of Stewart being an out the back option or stepping in to first receiver.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
In the first comp game of the season i have a sense that Thorn may also continue to send the message that if you train and commit 100% over an off season you will be rewarded. He will do that by naming some of the young guns to come off the bench like Lucas or McReight.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, I'm not the fan of CFS that Thorn clearly is but admit he played well at the start of last year. Unfortunately injury is almost inevitable (and laziness too it would seem). With wingers like Petaia, Naivalu and Daugunu - yeah, you kinda want to get the ball in their hands as much as possible.

I'd much prefer Petaia closer to the ball and also see merit of Duncan starting, but acknowledge you can't have all of those with Samu as captain. Of the options I'd prefer 12 Kerevi and 13 Petaia with Duncan off the bench.

Agree that Hegarty provides a good option at 15. Also wouldn't mind him stepping in at first playmaker at phase play with Stewart hovering out wide (ala Foley for Wallabies). I think Stewart actually has a deceptive running game that could be an asset out there. In reality though we have some great ball runners already.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm not a fan of Kerevi-CFS centre combo. Let's see how it goes but we need to get good pill out wide rather than cash bash up the middle. Would love to see Scott Young rewarded with a starting spot.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The only way Kerevi at 12 makes sense to me is to allow Petaia to play 13.

Otherwise Duncan 12 , Kerevi 13 , Petaia 11 and Sef/CFS at 14 with Hegarty at 15 .

Guess we will know soon enough.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Trepidation and excitement both. First, well it is Highlanders in NZ, later well we finally get an idea on how Thorn-McKay is going and what the game intentions are. The young Reds surely have a future.

Go Red. :)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t think Jordan will be in the centres for Rd 1, from what I heard he was pretty crook during pre-season and didn’t get much training under his belt and dropped a ton of weight.