• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Mods may have their work cut out in the Schools threads. And some others.

No, they knew who were the habitat trolls that infested the site. Without the site their existence become irrelevant.Further, it should be a golden rule for all us, that any discussion be it overt or implied, results in a warning to the author, the post deleted and suspension or expulsion for repeat offenders.

Create a climate of zero tolerance and the trolls will disappear all together, together with their lies, abuse and hypocrisy.

Golden Rules should be "Take no Prisoners", "Share no-one"" There shall be no mercy shown".You troll on this site about that topic and your existence on this site comes to an end.

As the Daleks of Dr Who would say "Exteriminate"

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
2tqscs.jpg

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joker, you must be joking ?! Casting the joeys lads as poor and underfed?!

What is annual joeys cost (including room and feed)?

Circa $45,000?

Besides your star 10 was poached from Cranners, daddy’s a high profile doc

This years $cots team will field more lads who are ‘poor sheep dogs’ ...

Hearing Kings are supremely confident... and probably with good reason

With their star already lost to the dark side... post school I mean

And soufs... poor decision young fellow

Oceans

Bob McCowan (2)
Joker, you must be joking ?! Casting the joeys lads as poor and underfed?!

What is annual joeys cost (including room and feed)?

Circa $45,000?

Besides your star 10 was poached from Cranners, daddy’s a high profile doc

This years $cots team will field more lads who are ‘poor sheep dogs’ .

Hearing Kings are supremely confident. and probably with good reason

With their star already lost to the dark side. post school I mean

And soufs. poor decision young fellow

Such a good point you raise SDW. Joeys have been, and largely successfully, playing that downtrodden/underdog/poor cousin/siege mentality piece for decades. A belief that anyone who raises their head for his own benefit requires immediate decapitation! No school captain, no prefects, no sports captains.......everyone an equal. So by default, all other schools they come across are perceived as being elitist. Of course this view held so passionately is notwithstanding the fact Joeys has probably the best playing surface in the country. Albeit I understand the new Director of Rugby (Ex Scots) is genuinely amazed at how Stone Age the gymnasium set up is. Again, more confirmation of how they simply “have to do make do with what they have”. The fact that they put their name on the premiership this year without a single player making GPS 1’s is pure fuel to the fire that already burns bright. Kings, Scots and Newington (in order) all have legitimate claims to the title. But if the downtrodden gain some momentum in the trial games, they will genuinely hold no fear for anyone.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
A little history lesson on Joeys Number 1

1465909_742839032492114_7821488614152741699_o.jpg

Prior to the pristine playing surface that now wraps its soft arms across the velt of Joeys number 1, it was best described as adequate and a disgraceful mud bath when it rained. I recall Saturday matches being played in puddles like swimming pools and players would be black face after a match. Once I saw a Joeys boy pass the ball to Sydney High boy by error due to the fact both were covered in thick mud. It was a disgrace. Those here who are my ilk and older will recall how ordinary it was.

So what to do?

In the mid 1980's Joeys wanted to improve the whole field and hence they started to look around for those who could help. Eventually they came across an American company looking for a foothold into Australia by providing a playing surface that could handle an ocean of water in the morning and be bone dry that afternoon. The turf was new to Australia as we had been using traditional Kikuyu forever due to its rapid ability to grow, but was terrible at water distribution and it would not mat together. Plus it was bloody cheap too! The American company had been responsible for the playing grass interior of the Los Angeles Colosseum for the 1984 Olympics. Joeys wrangled a deal (like all good Catholics do) for Joeys Number 1 to be used a show (room) piece for their product here in Oz. Included Joeys also agreed to provide physical labour for the job of laying the 7km of piping that would take the water away to the massive underground tanks located on the lower park area.

When it started there was a call round for old boys keen to help (I myself was asked but was unavailable due to work). The response was amazing. I believe there were over 200 old boys who helped out over the month long job. In addition a number of Staff including Marist Brothers helped out to keep the costs down. Even the kitchens kicked in with lunches for the crew. Eventually the pipes were put down and the sacred turf was laid. When finished even the College priest said a few words.

The Santa Ana couch turf was originally developed by the University of California for the Los Angeles Olympics and then brought to Australia. Joeys was I believe the first to use it for a sporting field. For those who know the ground, it is a fine leaf that twines in on itself into a carpet like surface. It can be cut short for cricket and becomes quite spongy like in winter. Boys who play on it enjoy the feel of it under foot and the ability to fall without killing/breaking anything like you do on the cricket pitches at TSC and SHORE. KNOX have a a longer rye like grass.

The ground has been played on by international rugby league and Union teams and even Manchester United when the toured in 1998 (I was there!) I even asked the current United boss (Ole Gunnar) about it and he said it was the best ever played upon, even better than Old Trafford, and remarked that it was "too good for rugby!"

The total cost spent on the field was much less due to the haggling of the Catholic bean counters and the army of workers who gave of their time to help. The field has been praised by many. My favorite story would be Robbie Deans.

In 2012 before the All Blacks test in Sydney the Wallabies had been training in the puddles at Rushcutters Bay. Every day they had asked Joeys to use the field. "No" was the response as they were training on it. Finally, a captains run was allowed on Friday. The team assembled at the Joeys ground and ran out. Deans took a slow walk around the surface of the field and was amazed to hear that two teams had been training all week on the ground. Not ONE spot of mud was found. He then strode to the sidelines and called out to the headmaster, "Hey Ross....a favour...could we play the All Blacks here on Saturday? ANZ has nothing on this field". As a way of saying thank you to the College for letting them use the ground, 40 boarders were at the game that Saturday, courtesy of the ARU and Robbie Deans.

77.png

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joker , awesome mate ... love your work... interesting and totally agree, it is the best playing surface in Sydney

One grizzle ...maybe minor ... the other HH fields all seem too small... a bit like Newington

Have seen some lower age group A fixtures ruined by the field size

And I for one would love if joeys improved their stands, but I suspect they like
The ramshackle feel

And consistent with their gym

Altgh the gym I saw at a joeys fair, didn’t look too bad

And unless I am mistaken there is an outdoor pool... something I am a fan, despite it not being as all season

Joker is that really scots facility?!

I have seen a pic of their ice baths that look smik

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Joker, are there drainage pipes under the fields beside number 1 too? I was told there is, in order to have plenty of space for the boarders to play soon after wet weather. No good having lots of boys indoors too long!

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joker, are there drainage pipes under the fields beside number 1 too? I was told there is, in order to have plenty of space for the boarders to play soon after wet weather. No good having lots of boys indoors too long!

Both fields 1 and 2 were given drainage I believe as they used for the 1st XV cricket. All fields at the park are now Santa Ana but only Number 1 gets the special treatment over winter. Santa Ana goes brown in winter (ever notice how Numbers 2-4 all go that way?) Number 1 gets a treatment which keeps it so green. Plus it looks great when you have it painted with school crests for special occasions.

The new drainage you speak of was done back at the College Ovals (Gladesville Rd). Joeys hates to call off training and hence they invested in this a few years ago to fix it. The boarders use the "back" ovals every night (have big flood lights on the buildings) to play games. In addition, kids train on them in the early hours. They get a lot of use.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joker , awesome mate . love your work. interesting and totally agree, it is the best playing surface in Sydney

Thanks Sonny Bill. Mind you Knox Grammar has a damn good field as well. A longer, English style of playing surface. Great drainage. Horrible trains and some issues with viewing at the ends of their stand.

KSSA-August2014-03.jpg

One grizzle .maybe minor . the other HH fields all seem too small. a bit like Newington

Yes, 3 and 4 are smaller in length, but width is ok. Terribly short in goals. Joeys back ovals are appropriate sizes for Under 13's and 14's. You find most Under 15's onward played at the Park.

Interesting to note that the Joeys sports master likes to give all boys a chance to play on Number 1 at least once in their time at the College. When Joeys play away you find teams like the mighty 13G's lining up on the halfway line at 9am. Nothing makes a Joeys boy prouder than playing on this field. (I played my last ever game at Joeys on their field)

There is a tradition that College A (Cardiff Arms Park is the nickname) is the venue for the 13A's and 14A's. A wider pitch would be better. This is why you must muscle up on these pitches as you wont be able to go round Joeys.

And I for one would love if joeys improved their stands, but I suspect they like The ramshackle feel

Joeys do have a design for a new Brother Henry stand which looks like the one at Shore. But they do not have the money and it would be an enormous cost. The new stand would be higher and covered for the entire length of the field. I agree, the old girl does look ramshackle but it does provide enough seating for the boys and an intimate feel being close to the ground. The change rooms I feel could be made bigger as they are very small. Some teams (like TSC) like to use the more modern change rooms located next to the tennis courts (if available as they are used for the football teams)

50d162_b4957315f9f747d9afe4e13a7a4d3340~mv2_d_5472_3648_s_4_2.webp

And consistent with their gym, Altgh the gym I saw at a joeys fair, didn’t look too bad

The gym used to be the old laundry. Before that it was once located within an old indoor basketball court. This is the biggest gym they have ever had. The weights program in their is based more of free weights rather than expensive shiny machines and chambers. The strength and conditioning coach is Kevin O'Kane (former Waratah) who is "old school" in his approach. Just have to spend a session in there listening to his "old school" motivational techniques to get the gist.

And unless I am mistaken there is an outdoor pool. something I am a fan, despite it not being as all season

The War Memorial pool was opened in the 1950's. It was actually used as part of the movie "The Year of Living Dangerously" I have been told though it will be gone soon. The College wants to redo the Hall and create a sports prescient like Scots have done including indoor pool, Basketball court and all the bells and whistles. I would hate myself. It was a 50 yrd pool and it a great location for a swim in summer. In winter many rugby teams would jump in after games as Joeys did not have ice pools, so a bloody cold outdoor pool had to do. I have spent many summers in that pool before the insurance Nazis' came in and took away the diving boards and closed it to the public during summer. Before then there were days when you could have the whole pool to yourself.

Joker is that really scots facility?

Oh yes, that is the hyperpoxic chamber at Scots located within the Solomon High Performance Centre. They have some amazing facilities and not just sport.

Never seen those, but check out the Science rooms they now have! Amazing facilities.

4051.jpg

4048.jpg

4087.jpg

The Casual Observer

Stan Wickham (3)
Agree with your suggestion for Clifton SDW. Would be dangerous there as a ball playing forward. The inside backs this year, particularly Kings and Newington, will be too slick to have lazy lateral defenders. Not sure I agree re the Joeys backs lacking size from what I’ve seen and heard, with the two centres likely to be Chan and O’Brien or even o’Kane who is 6ft 3” and playing NRL 18’s as an edge runner - so it’s hard to imagine any as big as these guys. The outside backs could come from the super strong 16’s group Joeys ran out last year. I saw them take Scots apart last season, and a few of them went on and played NSW 7’s (up an age group) at the nationals in December. Shaping up to be an outstanding year, with a fair chance the various GPS back lines cancel each other out and the games are decided by who turns up up front on the day. Kings look most ominous. Scots very dangerous (again). Newington potential world beaters. Joeys capable of something special.

I think you guy's are pretty close to the money regarding the Scots backline, although Tyrone is solid but not that good and won't play opens this year. I think Savala will get the first crack at 10 with Mostyn staying at fullback and with Aveyard, Zuchiatti, Clifton and Seewah all over 6 ft and 95kgs it wouldn't surprise me if you find 2 of them in the pack this year. They already have a formidable hooker in Hamish Moore (5/6 last season), but a ball playing prop would come in handy!!!!

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
I think you guy's are pretty close to the money regarding the Scots backline, although Tyrone is solid but not that good and won't play opens this year. I think Savala will get the first crack at 10 with Mostyn staying at fullback and with Aveyard, Zuchiatti, Clifton and Seewah all over 6 ft and 95kgs it wouldn't surprise me if you find 2 of them in the pack this year. They already have a formidable hooker in Hamish Moore (5/6 last season), but a ball playing prop would come in handy!!!!

Rugless would make a handy 7. Could possibly make transition from centre to flanker, like Wellington before him?

Oceans

Bob McCowan (2)
Rugless would make a handy 7. Could possibly make transition from centre to flanker, like Wellington before him?
That is a seriously good suggestion Rich_E and one that makes some sense when you think about it. The kid is super tough and a good footballer, but looked lost at times in the games I watched him in. Particularly when defending quickly changing shapes and numbers running at him like often happens in rugby; and which is different to league (where he almost invariably only has to defend against a left edge forward and left centre) - which by the way he absolutely excels in. The Joeys 1st XV 2018 video shows this perfectly, when he gets caught out horribly after overreacting to double-pump short ball from the Joeys 5/8. But the physicality combined with ball playing capacity of Rugless and Clifton in the Scots pack could be quite revolutionary.

Oceans

Bob McCowan (2)
Joker , awesome mate . love your work. interesting and totally agree, it is the best playing surface in Sydney

Thanks Sonny Bill. Mind you Knox Grammar has a damn good field as well. A longer, English style of playing surface. Great drainage. Horrible trains and some issues with viewing at the ends of their stand.

KSSA-August2014-03.jpg

One grizzle .maybe minor . the other HH fields all seem too small. a bit like Newington

Yes, 3 and 4 are smaller in length, but width is ok. Terribly short in goals. Joeys back ovals are appropriate sizes for Under 13's and 14's. You find most Under 15's onward played at the Park.

Interesting to note that the Joeys sports master likes to give all boys a chance to play on Number 1 at least once in their time at the College. When Joeys play away you find teams like the mighty 13G's lining up on the halfway line at 9am. Nothing makes a Joeys boy prouder than playing on this field. (I played my last ever game at Joeys on their field)

There is a tradition that College A (Cardiff Arms Park is the nickname) is the venue for the 13A's and 14A's. A wider pitch would be better. This is why you must muscle up on these pitches as you wont be able to go round Joeys.

And I for one would love if joeys improved their stands, but I suspect they like The ramshackle feel

Joeys do have a design for a new Brother Henry stand which looks like the one at Shore. But they do not have the money and it would be an enormous cost. The new stand would be higher and covered for the entire length of the field. I agree, the old girl does look ramshackle but it does provide enough seating for the boys and an intimate feel being close to the ground. The change rooms I feel could be made bigger as they are very small. Some teams (like TSC) like to use the more modern change rooms located next to the tennis courts (if available as they are used for the football teams)

50d162_b4957315f9f747d9afe4e13a7a4d3340~mv2_d_5472_3648_s_4_2.webp

And consistent with their gym, Altgh the gym I saw at a joeys fair, didn’t look too bad

The gym used to be the old laundry. Before that it was once located within an old indoor basketball court. This is the biggest gym they have ever had. The weights program in their is based more of free weights rather than expensive shiny machines and chambers. The strength and conditioning coach is Kevin O'Kane (former Waratah) who is "old school" in his approach. Just have to spend a session in there listening to his "old school" motivational techniques to get the gist.

And unless I am mistaken there is an outdoor pool. something I am a fan, despite it not being as all season

The War Memorial pool was opened in the 1950's. It was actually used as part of the movie "The Year of Living Dangerously" I have been told though it will be gone soon. The College wants to redo the Hall and create a sports prescient like Scots have done including indoor pool, Basketball court and all the bells and whistles. I would hate myself. It was a 50 yrd pool and it a great location for a swim in summer. In winter many rugby teams would jump in after games as Joeys did not have ice pools, so a bloody cold outdoor pool had to do. I have spent many summers in that pool before the insurance Nazis' came in and took away the diving boards and closed it to the public during summer. Before then there were days when you could have the whole pool to yourself.

Joker is that really scots facility?

Oh yes, that is the hyperpoxic chamber at Scots located within the Solomon High Performance Centre. They have some amazing facilities and not just sport.

Never seen those, but check out the Science rooms they now have! Amazing facilities.

4051.jpg

4048.jpg

4087.jpg
Absolutely awesome history and detail thanks Joker. Mental imagery of Kevin O’Kane’s “old school” motivational techniques being publicly and very vocally broadcast and bouncing off the gymnasium walls like an air raid siren easily accessed in one’s mind!

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Both fields 1 and 2 were given drainage I believe as they used for the 1st XV cricket. All fields at the park are now Santa Ana but only Number 1 gets the special treatment over winter. Santa Ana goes brown in winter (ever notice how Numbers 2-4 all go that way?) Number 1 gets a treatment which keeps it so green. Plus it looks great when you have it painted with school crests for special occasions.

The new drainage you speak of was done back at the College Ovals (Gladesville Rd). Joeys hates to call off training and hence they invested in this a few years ago to fix it. The boarders use the "back" ovals every night (have big flood lights on the buildings) to play games. In addition, kids train on them in the early hours. They get a lot of use.

Thanks for the details. Good planning by all involved.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
J

The change rooms I feel could be made bigger as they are very small. Some teams (like TSC) like to use the more modern change rooms located next to the tennis courts (if available as they are used for the football teams)
The visitors' change room is a very intimidating space for a small group of players while outside the whole Joeys war cry production line is going gangbusters.
For 1sts and 2nds it can be overwhelming as all boys are now seated in the stand.
Hence some TSC tactics in the past to arrive by mini bus already changed, and as you say use the newer change rooms.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
The visitors' change room is a very intimidating space for a small group of players while outside the whole Joeys war cry production line is going gangbusters.
For 1sts and 2nds it can be overwhelming as all boys are now seated in the stand.
Hence some TSC tactics in the past to arrive by mini bus already changed, and as you say use the newer change rooms.

Good point Flanker. A couple of mates who had sons in the 1st XV in other schools would relay the same thing. They would have to sit in there and listen to the Joeys boys sing "walk on" before they would come out. In the past I can recall some teams would make the Joeys boy wait to try and take away any extra adrenaline they had gotten from the cheer before. Scots I have seen enter the field from the south-eastern corner in the past, again avoiding walking through the gauntlet of cerise and blue. Mind you, one father did say this...

When his son beat Joeys in 1996 at Joeys (SHORE) he recalled how his son was amazed at the respect the Joeys boys showed at the end of the game when they stayed in the stand and then clapped them off the field, and even gave them three cheers! He said the never saw that anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.