• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Why did the Tahs get rid of Maclean Jones? Appeared to be a good team man and very popular amongst the players I reckon (from the outside looking in). Reds should definitely have picked him up given he's a Queenslander and Nudgee alumni alongside his mate James Tuttle.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why did the Tahs get rid of Maclean Jones? Appeared to be a good team man and very popular amongst the players I reckon (from the outside looking in). Reds should definitely have picked him up given he's a Queenslander and Nudgee alumni alongside his mate James Tuttle.

he may be a good bloke but he never really cut it at the higher level. Didn't stand out at NRC and probably deservedly never got a shot a Super Rugby.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
he may be a good bloke but he never really cut it at the higher level. Didn't stand out at NRC and probably deservedly never got a shot a Super Rugby.

Would have been the perfect pick up for the Reds because he'd have a chip on his shoulder about the Tahs + has played a lot of rugby in the past with pretty much the bulk of the Reds 2019 squad + had access to being coached by Simon Cron last year.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Would have been the perfect pick up for the Reds because he'd have a chip on his shoulder about the Tahs + has played a lot of rugby in the past with pretty much the bulk of the Reds 2019 squad + had access to being coached by Simon Cron last year.

Not sure how he would've been perfect. Reds aren't exactly lacking for young backrowers and he hasn't shown anything to suggest he'd be better then, or even equal to, the current crop.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For the Reds, if you'd signed Maclean Jones, you wouldn't have signed one of Fraser McReight or Harry Wilson.

I think the latter two have a lot more promise.

For comparison, Maclean Jones is older than Liam Wright and Angus Scott-Young who are clearly better players and more suited to the professional game.

The reality is that out of every Australian under 20s team, only some of them will be good enough to make it at the next level.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Beale to 12, Hunt to 13

Jeez this is infuriating. Just play a 13 at 13, don't make the same mistake as the 2018 Canes and throw away your season to "fit talent in the backline".

If you need to have Foley, Hunt, Beale, and Folau in the same backline, go:
Gordon, Foley, Rona, Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau, Hunt

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jeez this is infuriating. Just play a 13 at 13, don't make the same mistake as the 2018 Canes and throw away your season to "fit talent in the backline".

If you need to have Foley, Hunt, Beale, and Folau in the same backline, go:
Gordon, Foley, Rona, Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau, Hunt

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Foketi are both out injured. They're the first two choices at 13.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thanks Braveheart, that makes it more reasonable; no team can reasonably cover two injuries at 13. Would still prefer to see Rona there, but understand completely now.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
In my opinion the Tahs have made two fatal roster mistakes this year: 1. Letting Bryce Hegarty go to the Reds in exchange for Karmichael & 2. Letting Hugh Roach go to the Rebels and then signing Andrew Tuala as the third hooker. Continuity of hookers is so important and by letting Roach go you’ve just lost someone that has been throwing lineouts for you and building relationships with your jumpers for the last five years. Same with Karmichael coming in and playing 12. I’ll even go out on a limb and say that we would’ve beaten the Hurricanes on the weekend if Karmichael wasn’t playing and instead Newsome was 12, Rona 13, Folau 14, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Clark 11 and Hegarty was at 15. Folau’s catch pass at 15 was horrifically hit and miss.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Roach has a genuine chance to play for the Rebels though, as their front row stocks are rubbish. He probably wanted to go.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I’ll even go out on a limb and say that we would’ve beaten the Hurricanes on the weekend if Karmichael wasn’t playing and instead Newsome was 12, Rona 13, Folau 14, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Clark 11 and Hegarty was at 15. Folau’s catch pass at 15 was horrifically hit and miss.

We would have won with Newsome at 12 instead of Hunt? Now that's a scorching hot take and Tatsy, I'm here for it. I think you're mad, but keep it coming.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In my opinion the Tahs have made two fatal roster mistakes this year: 1. Letting Bryce Hegarty go to the Reds in exchange for Karmichael & 2. Letting Hugh Roach go to the Rebels and then signing Andrew Tuala as the third hooker. Continuity of hookers is so important and by letting Roach go you’ve just lost someone that has been throwing lineouts for you and building relationships with your jumpers for the last five years. Same with Karmichael coming in and playing 12. I’ll even go out on a limb and say that we would’ve beaten the Hurricanes on the weekend if Karmichael wasn’t playing and instead Newsome was 12, Rona 13, Folau 14, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Clark 11 and Hegarty was at 15. Folau’s catch pass at 15 was horrifically hit and miss.

Tuala is the fourth hooker and is behind Sauni. He's part of the wider squad of 46 so I think he's just on a supplementary contract.

I think Roach left looking for opportunity. Unfortunately at the moment he's still stuck behind multiple players at the Rebels and might not get much of a run there.

I don't know how you can suggest Newsome should have played 12. Has he ever played there?

I think the Tahs did really well out of the Hegarty for Hunt swap.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Roach was third choice at the Tahs and is too small to be a consistently higher choice (in the front row size matters)

Disagree re Hunt, I thought he was pretty good and provides go forward and strong defense

We lost on Saturday because too many players gave away dumb penalties and we dropped too much ball, that led to not being able to build pressure. Our defense was good, their tries were 2m stuff, not overlaps etc

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Roach has a genuine chance to play for the Rebels though, as their front row stocks are rubbish. He probably wanted to go.

Well he is behind Rangi, and now behind Abel. And that is without Uelese coming back from injury. Pretty sure he's stuffed down there as well.

In Hooker - surely the Rebels have the best quality of depth.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well he is behind Rangi, and now behind Abel. And that is without Uelese coming back from injury. Pretty sure he's stuffed down there as well.

In Hooker - surely the Rebels have the best quality of depth.
Rangi is fine if you don't want to pack a scrum. Abel is pretty bang average and Uelese is perma-crocked.

I'd rather face down those three than Latu the almost incumbent Wallaby hooker and Fitzpatrick, who can actually throw to a lineout.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Once Uelese is back he will be the incumbent at the Rebels and i suspect wallabies hooker if given the right amount of game time.

Like everyone else his throwing isn't the sharpest but his scrummaging is a level up on the other contenders (minus TPN). This is all with the obvious proviso that he returns healthy.

I also like Folau Fainga'a and Latu has all the promise but i honestly think hes been around long enough now for me to realise he probably wont ever get any consistency and those silly penalties out of his game

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Once Uelese is back he will be the incumbent at the Rebels and i suspect wallabies hooker if given the right amount of game time.

Like everyone else his throwing isn't the sharpest but his scrummaging is a level up on the other contenders (minus TPN). This is all with the obvious proviso that he returns healthy.

I also like Folau Fainga'a and Latu has all the promise but i honestly think hes been around long enough now for me to realise he probably wont ever get any consistency and those silly penalties out of his game

Lets start with a 2 who can

a/ scrummage,
b/ hit his lineout constantly
c/ not be crap around the ground.

and "a" and "b" are the key, "c" is a bonus

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
With regards to Hunt, the issues are that he keeps his nose clean (including his influence on other squad members) and that his body stands up to the rigours of rugby.

If he stands up on these two fronts he is an outstanding buy.

Edit: especially at the discount that the Tahs paid for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.