• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2 - Reds vs Highlanders at Forsyth Barr

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Sam Phillips on Twitter:

Hearing there will be some big surprises in the Reds 23 tomorrow at 10, 12 and 15...

One 2018 regular tipped to be left out of the 23 altogether...

#HIGvRED

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Stewart travelled with the squad to Dunedin, doesn’t necessarily mean he will be included in the team though.
i think we could see Lucas to be rewarded for his pre-season training and form, Stewart to 12 is another combo I think we will see at some point this season.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Stewart travelled with the squad to Dunedin, doesn’t necessarily mean he will be included in the team though.
i think we could see Lucas to be rewarded for his pre-season training and form, Stewart to 12 is another combo I think we will see at some point this season.

I have never been a real fan of Stewart but he might just suit 12.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Stewart is the most advanced flyhalf in terms of composure for his age that I’ve seen in Australian rugby for many years, his game control for a 20 year is pretty bloody impressive. His skill set is pretty well rounded for his age, obviously would like to see him improve his passing and kicking game. What he lacked in 2018 and will still lack in 2019 is experience, but there’s only one way to get that.

I think it’s easy to forget how young these guys are, and how long it usually takes to develop to super rugby level, Hamish is certainly ahead of his peers in this space.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Sam Phillips on Twitter:

Hearing there will be some big surprises in the Reds 23 tomorrow at 10, 12 and 15.

One 2018 regular tipped to be left out of the 23 altogether.

Obviously it's Quade back at 10, from his brief stint with Melbourne after kissing and making up with Thorn.
Tupou into 12 to beef up the midfield
Chris Latham to inject some counter attacking brilliance from the back, the likes of which we haven't seen since the heady days of Chris Latham.

And Samu Kerevi to be left out of the 23 all together as dropping the captain is the most likely move.

.... too surprising?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Highlanders are stronger this week. Naholo and Aaron Smith starting. Seems a good time for us to experiment with our backline.

Highlanders: Ben Smith (co-c), Waisake Naholo, Rob Thompson, Teihorangi Walden, Tevita Li, Josh Ioane, Aaron Smith, Luke Whitelock (co-c), Dillon Hunt, Shannon Frizell, Josh Dickson, Jackson Hemopo, Tyrel Lomax, Liam Coltman, Ayden Johnstone Replacements: Ash Dixon, Daniel Lienert-Brown, Siate Tokolahi, Jack Whetton, Marino Mikaele-Tu’u, Kayne Hammington, Marty Banks, Matt Faddes

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Team is up
1. Feao Fotuaika** – Souths
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Izack Rodda (vc) – Easts
5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto – Souths
6. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
7. Liam Wright – Easts
8. Caleb Timu – Souths
9. Moses Sorovi – Wests
10. Hamish Stewart – Bond University
11. Sefa Naivalu* – TBC
12. Samu Kerevi (c) – Souths
13. Jordan Petaia – Wests
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia – Souths
15. Bryce Hegarty* – GPS

16. Alex Mafi – Bond University
17. Harry Hoopert – Brothers
18. Ruan Smith – GPS
19. Harry Hockings – University of Queensland
20. Fraser McReight*** – Brothers
21. Tate McDermott – University of Queensland
22. Duncan Paia’aua – Norths
23. Isaac Lucas*** – Sunnybank

*Denotes Queensland debut
**Denotes Queensland and Super Rugby debut
***Denotes potential Queensland and Super Rugby debut

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...-first-match-of-2019-against-Highlanders.aspx

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
No Higgers. Is there an injury?

I think that's the best backline we can put out apart from 9 so pretty happy with that.

B

Bobby Sands

Absolutely love the side.

Liam Wright & ASY (Angus Scott-Young) have been playing together since kids.

Lucas on the bench with McReight.

But most importantly Jordy at 13.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Lucas and McReight been rewarded for their impressive pre-season.
JP Smith still injured, which is a worry.

Bench is a little unbalanced, wont be able to go all season carrying two utility backs on the bench.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Pretty much as anticipated, LHP and Higgers is interesting. Sad to not see Adam Korczyk in the 23 but that back row is going to be hard to break in to.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Stewart is the most advanced flyhalf in terms of composure for his age that I’ve seen in Australian rugby for many years, his game control for a 20 year is pretty bloody impressive. His skill set is pretty well rounded for his age, obviously would like to see him improve his passing and kicking game. What he lacked in 2018 and will still lack in 2019 is experience, but there’s only one way to get that.

I think it’s easy to forget how young these guys are, and how long it usually takes to develop to super rugby level, Hamish is certainly ahead of his peers in this space.

Stewart get's 12/10 for effort on the field. He has an excellent pass and can kick very well in play. His defense is generally impressive, the bloke has enough bottle to front a rampaging prop/lock in the D line. What I don't like is his ability to guide the team around the park and at game play. He spends too much time with his head stuck in rucks, which is no doubt impressive for a 10 - but not the day job. His work in play making seems related largely to set piece, perhaps Jim will see improvements with that in mind.

I'm completely comfortable with Stewart at Super Rugby level and count him as an impressive player. Just not an impressive 10. The discussion of possibly shifting him to 12 remains interesting. He is not however imo ahead of his peers who include Mounga, McKenzie, Jantjies, Barrett etc.