• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2 - Reds vs Highlanders at Forsyth Barr

B

Bobby Sands

If Samu is not working at 12, Petaia should not be dropped from. Jordy is far better long term prospect.

We should be looking to get Noah Lolesio back from the Brumbies as a 12 to replace Duncan.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Petaia needs to learn how to involve himself more, should come naturally by playing from 13, but in the trial matches and some of the NRC games, he went a little missing by waiting out wide. He needs to start going looking for the ball more regularly.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He's still young so that should come to him with age. He played mostly 15 at school, apparently, so 13 has some differences in attack and defence. He willing and reminds me of a young Jason Little.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
If Samu is not working at 12, Petaia should not be dropped from. Jordy is far better long term prospect.

We should be looking to get Noah Lolesio back from the Brumbies as a 12 to replace Duncan.

Bobby I've seen this Noah fellas name mentioned a couple of times in the brumbies thread. I know nothing of him... can you fill us in?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Maybe the cut out pass to miss Kerevi is needed so that Petaia gets the ball!
The Reds are still paying for a 10 who was great at long passes. Shame he is playing in Melbourne.

I hope Stewart develops a great passing game to bring all of our backs into play.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The Reds are still paying for a 10 who was great at long passes. Shame he is playing in Melbourne.

I hope Stewart develops a great passing game to bring all of our backs into play.

Yes Slipper, Hunt and Quade all showing why the Reds were interested to start with.

However - there are things I don't like about Stewart but a limitation on his passing distance is not one of them. Reckon he is fully capable of a cut out pass to 13, and at any rate from recollection we often the back line (last year) in two lines where both 12 and 13 were available without the cut out. Stewart hasn't (in my mind) shown the decision making prowess in making those choices, but it will come down to what Jim McKay has in mind and how the set pieces and phasing has been set up.

Hold this space...

B

Bobby Sands

Bobby I've seen this Noah fellas name mentioned a couple of times in the brumbies thread. I know nothing of him. can you fill us in?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sm...io-as-rupa-team-unveiled-20180827-p4zzyh.html

He’s a gun who went to TSS a few years ago, still only about 18/19.

Straight after school he went to Canberra and won a senior premiership with Tuggeranong at 10, despite being a natural 12.

In the Brumbies squad but behind a few. Would be a great fit for our squad.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
As a 10, he wouldn't necessarily be behind too many others in 2020 and beyond. CLL coming to the end of his playing days, and afaik Hawera unsigned beyond this year.

Was very impressed with the distance Lolesio can hoof the ball also.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Brumbies also have Pasitoa arriving next year, another talented 10/12 that Qld hasn’t been able to keep.

Lolesio is the same vintage as Petaia, they were the Aussie Schoolboys centre pairing in 2017.

Would love to have seen Pasitoa, Lolesio and Petaia in a starting backline in years to come.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's Orientation Week at Otago Uni, Crowd Goes Wild just did a live cross & The Zoo is filling up nicely. Gunna get loud, y'all!

Reactions: dru