• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proposed Nations Championship

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

If they wanted this to be an annual thing, I think they should have gone about it from a clubs perspective. For the Rugby Championship teams, some teams will be doing some huge miles. For instance, we could be playing the Saffers twice in the Republic; one in TRC and one in this new competition. While the European guys fly no more than an hour!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
How about this for fun and games, England are now so skint, they're looking at axing rugby sevens.

No cash to be had:

Link here

For media intrigue, the UK won't disappoint

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)

If they wanted this to be an annual thing, I think they should have gone about it from a clubs perspective. For the Rugby Championship teams, some teams will be doing some huge miles. For instance, we could be playing the Saffers twice in the Republic; one in TRC and one in this new competition. While the European guys fly no more than an hour!

No we would be playing them once in SA or Aus (depending on the year) and only possibly once more in the final - probably in Europe somewhere.

TRC and this comp are the same matches.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
No we would be playing them once in SA or Aus (depending on the year) and only possibly once more in the final - probably in Europe somewhere.

TRC and this comp are the same matches.
Yeah the RC becomes a 6 team comp with each team playing the other once, mirroring the 6 nations.

Edit: which has the added benefit of cutting out one of the dire & tiresome annual All Black floggings.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Ok thanks for clarifying that.

I guess that then makes it even more complex, we (the SH teams) have two separate competitions that are combined. From a neutral's perspective (i.e the average punter at home), how are they meant to keep track of the point allocations?

By keeping both the 6 Nations + TRC, it feels like they're "having your cake and eating it". I'd dare say they'd be better of scrapping the current competitions and focus on the new competition.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ok thanks for clarifying that.

I guess that then makes it even more complex, we (the SH teams) have two separate competitions that are combined. From a neutral's perspective (i.e the average punter at home), how are they meant to keep track of the point allocations?

By keeping both the 6 Nations + TRC, it feels like they're "having your cake and eating it". I'd dare say they'd be better of scrapping the current competitions and focus on the new competition.
Can't scrap the 6 nations, they love that shit.

Can fuck off the Bled and RC for all i care though.

I don't think it would be overly complicated, though. The RC just becomes the top tier pool. The winner of the pool wins the RC and has a shot at topping the world league, or whatever.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Aren't they supposed to be the richest union in the multiverse?
They are, although I believe recent cost blowouts are genuine.

Questionable running of the game is not limited to oz. The RFU was ticking over okay previously but when people move in and out of the place, time moves on, etc, (and you shell out multi millions to pro clubs) there's no guarantee things will run level.

Also this story has to be viewed through the lens of a purported CVC takeover. If that happens to the 6N , I reckon the World League idea will struggle.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I think most people interested in the World League discussions should listen to the Egg Chasers podcast this week on it, by far one of the best and most balanced discussions on it (perhaps the only balanced discussion).

Most of what’s been said is very uninformed and what’s been reported is very much creating a frenzy towards the topic. WR (World Rugby) do a very good job, in fact this current administration has done more for the game outside of the traditional nations than any other.

If the league goes ahead without pro:rel I’d be venomously against it, but I don’t think WR (World Rugby) would be the ones making that choice.

There is a lot of misunderstanding of the power they actually have and the constitutional structure they have to adhere to.

Yes, this is a good listen from a different prospective that we often hear, and makes you think.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They have the most money, and the biggest budget, but through spectacular mismanagement they lost 31m gbp just last year and have to tighten their belts fairly dramatically

Including possibly scrapping the Ringinland 7's team & somehow persuading Scotland & Wales to (a) do likewise & (b) part-fund the resulting Team GB 7's.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...vens-facing-axe-as-rfu-scrambles-to-cut-costs

I'm really hoping the Celts tell the Nigels to fuck off.

Kiwikrs

Bob McCowan (2)
I think most people interested in the World League discussions should listen to the Egg Chasers podcast this week on it, by far one of the best and most balanced discussions on it (perhaps the only balanced discussion).

After listening to it they do have some valid points but to be taken from a NH perspective obviously. However, I don't think they are anywhere near as informed as others which tarnished many of their topics.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Yeah the RC becomes a 6 team comp with each team playing the other once, mirroring the 6 nations.

Edit: which has the added benefit of cutting out one of the dire & tiresome annual All Black floggings.
Agreed or if we get relegated then we don’t have to play them at all! Quite frankly not a bad option.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Overall I quite like the idea - The only down side I see is that other than at a world cup there is no cross over between the different divisions.

Currently the likes of Samoa, Tonga, Georgia, USA and Canada all get 1-2 tests against the big boys in the November internationals.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Overall I quite like the idea - The only down side I see is that other than at a world cup there is no cross over between the different divisions.

Currently the likes of Samoa, Tonga, Georgia, USA and Canada all get 1-2 tests against the big boys in the November internationals.

I'd assume come British and Irish Lions tours there would be some opportunity. We'd be looking for countries to come out and fill the July hole.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

It's certainly a better model. But I'm still not a fan of shoehorning the RC and 6N's into the structure as it still offers the same issues as previously regarding pro/rel and the 6N Unions. Even though there's a circuit breaker in the form of the pro/rel game I can see an all holy stink being put up if one of them looks likely.

I'd personally prefer them to look to implement this structure external to those structures. During the test windows. They could do this while keeping the two conferences but instead of 6 use 7 teams each and mix the conferences up more. That way the first stage would be northern teams travelling south in July and southern team north in November. Do the same for the 2nd division and keep the 3rd div as planned.

This would give each team 6 games in the NC and the RC (which could add whichever teams they wanted or maintain the current format) and 6N's can operate as is. This would eliminate much of the resistance to the concept in my opinion.

Regarding crossover games the only way to do that would be to have a 24 team 1st division with multiple pools/groups etc. Which would essentially just be the RWC on a yearly basis.