• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4 - Festival of Hate - Qld v NSW

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not a fan of that Reds team at all. JP Smith's inclusion is the only positive.

If Stewart was dropped because of his performance at flyhalf, then they could have least let him play flyhalf first.

That's our slowest backrow we could have picked and our weakest defesnive combo in the centres.

Two lazy wingers and a rookie (albeit talented) small human as a fullback. Cross field kicks to Izzy all day long.

If the Tahs don't tear us a new one, then they are a laughing stock of a team.
You are being quite pessimistic, given how the reds have performed, losses aside.

Does losing Petaia make that much of a difference?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
You are being quite pessimistic, given how the reds have performed, losses aside.

From the way the team has been altered in the backs, I'd have to say it does.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

It’s not a bad group of players individually but tactically the combinations seem a bit brainless. You know the Tahs are going to be playing fast and you pick a slow back row, you give Folau—the best aerial player in the world—a free pass to do his thing, and Beale and Foley can use their behind the man plays against a centre pairing that doesn’t read the game that well.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

If the Reds didn't have Petaia in the match against the Highlanders they would have been blown out of the water. He is vital to the Reds in attack and defence.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

If Stewart was dropped because of his performance at flyhalf, then they could have least let him play flyhalf first.

That's our slowest backrow we could have picked and our weakest defesnive combo in the centres.

Two lazy wingers and a rookie (albeit talented) small human as a fullback. Cross field kicks to Izzy all day long.

Rona on the otherside may not get up as high, but he isn't a munchkin either

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)

I don't understand what they're doing with Stewart. He was played out of position in both attack and defense last then dropped. A lot of people touted him as a potential future Wallaby 10, but his confidence must be shaken.I quite like Hegarty as a player, but doesn't strike me as as playmaker.

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
I get the impression that Thorn's idea of a flyhalf's role is quite different from most other coaches. He doesn't seem at all interested in a 10 that directs the game. We saw this first with the exiling of Quade and replacing him with Jonno Lance. Jonno is a very good player, but not exactly a visionary on the field. Mind you, I'd prefer to have Jonno Lance wearing the 10 now rather than Hegarty or Stewart. At least Jonno could nail a cross field kick to his wingers pretty consistently.

I'm not knocking Hegarty or Stewart, both are very good players but I haven't seen anything from either of them over the past year that suggests they should be wearing the 10 jersey at Super level.

I think Hegarty's a solid option at 15. I'm not entirely sure what Stewart's best position is at this level. I'm not sure he knows either.

Might be worth giving Stewart a run at 12 with Paia'auaat 10. Would be a very solid defensive pairing if nothing else.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't understand what they're doing with Stewart. He was played out of position in both attack and defense last then dropped. A lot of people touted him as a potential future Wallaby 10, but his confidence must be shaken.I quite like Hegarty as a player, but doesn't strike me as as playmaker.
Have we ever actually seen anything from him to suggest he was a future Wallaby, though? There was definitely a hint of desperation in those calls.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
No but he did fit the ‘anyone but Cooper’ selection policy like JOC (James O'Connor) did vs the BI Lions

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Have we ever actually seen anything from him to suggest he was a future Wallaby, though? There was definitely a hint of desperation in those calls.
I agree that there was a lot of hope that someone would step up at 10 and having played well at Aus u20s and NRC at a young age that he might be the heir apparent. I honestly can't say how he stacks up at super level because he hasn't had the chance. Maybe he's not the Messiah but I'd like to see how he'd go and make my opinion after that. I pretty sure Hegarty won't be wearing Gold at 10

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
A tahs backline that finally has players picked in their best positions instead of where they or their wives think they play best.

Reds backs could be in trouble if the 8 powder puffs in the tahs forwards arent completly dominated.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It’s an odd time for Thorn to test this 10-12, I mean conceptually I like it a lot, but Reg is right it is an odd treatment of Stewart. More so DP has hardly been knocking the house down this season. I love the potential but suspect that the application will be ropey.

I’ll put my hand up to go against the grain and admit I also like the Waratah back row, not perhaps at international level but man they bring some dynamism to a Super game.

And another against the grain, if Thorn wants Higgers in the tram tracks then good. Either 6 or 8 is likely to be placed there, whoever gets the job needs to do the job.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With that backrow, the Reds should clearly have Salakaia-Loto in their middle pod crashing it up and Higgers and Wright on the edges.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Actually it is not just Red 10-12, but 10-12-15. Again I love the concept of all your playmakers on the paddock, but concept is not the same as application.

Is someone at the Reds thinking, “hell, we need to score some tries”?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think you can read much into Paia'aua playing 12. The only other reasonable option was CFS to 13 but it seems like Paia'aua is further up the pecking order than Dagunu this season (assuming he's healthy).

Hegarty to 10, Lucas to 15 and Stewart on the bench certainly seems tactical.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm a bit surprised Feao Fotuaika isn't at least in the 23.
Or is he injured?
Both Reds props had a hard time against the Crusaders, maybe Tupou more so?