• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Brad Wilkin is another great QLD product who we missed in favour of signing Gunn. He’s going very well at the Rebels keeping Hardwick on the pine.

Not quite, Reds still had Liam Gill, Ed Quirk and Beau Robinson when Wilkin was signed by the Aussie 7s. Wilkin was a member of the extended development squad alongside Gunn, Wilkin was released by the Reds when Aussie 7s offered him a full time contract for 2014-2015 season, he signed with the Tahs later in 2015, Gunn didn’t earn a fulltime contract until 2016.

B

Bobby Sands

Not quite, Reds still had Liam Gill, Ed Quirk and Beau Robinson when Wilkin was signed by the Aussie 7s. Wilkin was a member of the extended development squad alongside Gunn, Wilkin was released by the Reds when Aussie 7s offered him a full time contract for 2014-2015 season, he signed with the Tahs later in 2015, Gunn didn’t earn a fulltime contract until 2016.

Is it good or bad that w don’t have any of those players still on the list.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Looking at the full list, Higgers aside, it’s a very good group for potential.
Most of the Reds squad is based on potential. I think ASY (Angus Scott-Young) , Timu and Wright are building on experience and McRieght and Wilson the potential

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Turned up to the game tonight expecting to see young gun Jordy out there. Devastating to read he's been ruled out for the season. It looks to me that this squad, despite the potential, could use a few more older heads around. Attack was pretty rudderless and disjointed.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Dan Carter at 10 can't stop every runner over running the ball. It seemed every ball was put where it should have been, nice and flat, just the runners kept getting there 5 minutes too early.

Good tactics poor execution.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
An experienced Flyhalf reinvigorated after a few rough years would come in handy right about now...

I doubt it, the key to that "experienced Flyhalf" at the moment is having a gun pack playing and running flat off a gun 9 so the "experienced Flyhalf" can wait for opportunities

Most other sides are playing with the 10 as the key playmaker. They are touching the ball a lot more often and under a lot more pressure

The Reds didn't cope with a very effective Tahs defense who were sending shooters hard at the attack. Often missing, but really screwing up their timing

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Even though the Quade thing will be a bitter thought for me in regards to the QRU/Thorn for years, let's leave that aside for a moment. I'd like to know what the plan was regarding flyhalf when the person starting there was only signed in late January. I feel sorry for Hamish Stewart being deprived of the opportunity to learn his trade under an international flyhalf.

Thorn is what happens when the conservative, back-and-sides haircut PE teacher suddenly becomes school principal.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Even though the Quade thing will be a bitter thought for me in regards to the QRU/Thorn for years, let's leave that aside for a moment.

God yes. However that is not an invitation for the Quade haters to be given carte blanche on the matter.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Even though the Quade thing will be a bitter thought for me in regards to the QRU/Thorn for years, let's leave that aside for a moment. I'd like to know what the plan was regarding flyhalf when the person starting there was only signed in late January. I feel sorry for Hamish Stewart being deprived of the opportunity to learn his trade under an international flyhalf.

Thorn is what happens when the conservative, back-and-sides haircut PE teacher suddenly becomes school principal.

Was Hegarty approached after they discovered that Matt McGahan had a broken leg/injury? McGahan was announced in November, Hegarty in January. Teti Tela is also a 10 I believe. Maybe the plan was to have McGahan and Stewart vying for the starting 10 role and then when McGahan was out they needed more experience. Funnily, when Hegarty was announced he was saying that he was determined to nail the full time fullback role rather than be a backline nomad.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Let’s hope his trajectory continues upward.

What is/was extraordinary is that the proven-as-woefully-incompetent QRU should consider this undeveloped and fragmented Reds base squad as best HC-ed by a totally unproven (at senior provincial level) person like Thorn. This was an utterly mystifying decision and strategic policy - but yet again the QRU is expert at doing precisely the opposite of what is best required in any particular set of circumstances.

Then on top of that super high-risk call - vs recruiting a proven, top-flight pro coach from overseas - they needlessly compounded the error by indulging Thorn's recklessly puritanical streak in jettisoning QC (Quade Cooper), Slipper, Hunt etc when what the QRU's credibility and finances desperately needed was not personal off-beam HC ideologies and pretty PC values statements but Reds' Super wins and lots of them.

Nonetheless we were fed the 'Brad will bring the better culture, culture's been the Reds biggest problem' line - and numerous posters here and our pathetically lazy ruby media bought all that superficial nonsense hook, line and sinker.

The Reds core problems were not 'cultural', they were exclusively about continuously poor elite coaching (all aspects), idiotic recruitment policies and poor player and skills development (of course these all go together). Culture may have deteriorated _because_ of these deep problems - endless losses with no respite will drive any team to 'cultural' decline - but such was if true a symptom and not a cause.

I said at the time of Thorn's appointment this could all prove yet again another of the QRU scandalous and almost never-ending sequence of coaching blunders and so it is proving as we open the 'promising' 2019 season with 3 straight losses and only 1 of those where the Reds played well. Horrendously, the Reds' current multi-year loss record vs the Waratahs is now at humiliating proportions.

And FFS: how on earth does Thorn think a Super title - or even making the finals - can be attained with a 10 like Stewart or even a worn utility player like Hegarty. Super titles are _never_ won by teams with weak 10s, the evidence is overwhelming. Worse, poor Stewart is now being replaced by Hegarty who's been with the Reds for 10 minutes - this is just farcical.

The 2019 Reds team is performing little better than, say, some of R Graham's better games (there weren't many) when the Reds still lost but had at least a sniff of coherence about them (which promptly vaporised next game).

There is very little evidence that, in his crucial second year, Thorn has even mastered the basics of sound elite rugby game planning let alone anything finer on top. And what is doubly alarming is the paucity of evidence that any of the new Reds ACs are adding demonstrable value to the team; why this is so is at present a disturbing mystery.