• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think a lot of it comes down to the skills of the hooker.

Coles is amazing out wide because he is an excellent playmaker. His catch, pass, decision making and ball skills are sublime.

The Wallabies haven't really been able to to that with Moore or TPN or realistically any of the new guys. They're better off acting as a support player in one of the two central pods.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think a lot of it comes down to the skills of the hooker.

Coles is amazing out wide because he is an excellent playmaker. His catch, pass, decision making and ball skills are sublime.

The Wallabies haven't really been able to to that with Moore or TPN or realistically any of the new guys. They're better off acting as a support player in one of the two central pods.

Really, I always thought Moore's link play was one of his best aspects.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I thought Coles played a link role, not in the pod?

Generally the hooker, and the props, are given an easier attack burdon by making them the second pod. The heavy lifting is from the inner pod, generally the locks + 8 or 6.
Genearlly how it's done. But not by the All Blacks or Hurricanes. ;)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Genearlly how it's done. But not by the All Blacks or Hurricanes. ;)

Yes but the discussion start after with 1-3-3-1 Then discussed how Cole is approached. Which you seem to agree to s different. Not sure of the Canes but I thought the ABs can flow from 2-4-2 into 1-3-3-1 depending on what they’re doing and where they are.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So with Petaia gone for the season does that make Hunt favourite to secure the 4th centre spot? Or possibly Meakes.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
There's a 40 man wallaby camp in Sydney this weekend. With the Brumbies and Rebels players flying in this morning and the Reds and 'Tahs coming in after their game tonight. Apparently there'll be no training, just testing and monitoring.

Slipper and Quade were included but not Hunt. The article doesn't say who was included, but says notable omissions were Rangi and McCaffery (and Hunt).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There's a 40 man wallaby camp in Sydney this weekend. With the Brumbies and Rebels players flying in this morning and the Reds and 'Tahs coming in after their game tonight. Apparently there'll be no training, just testing and monitoring.

Slipper and Quade were included but not Hunt. The article doesn't say who was included, but says notable omissions were Rangi and McCaffery (and Hunt).

Without Hunt it would be interesting to know about guys like Meakes. By the end of the season, presuming Hunt continues his projection and continues to be used by Gibson to fill the missing WBs - it’s going to be tough to keep him out of the broader squad.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
1. Quade’s missed tackle on Pete Samu coming off the back of that scrum which lead to a Brumbies try next phase & 2. Quade’s stupid boxing cat fight on Tom Wright when he was in touch are the epitome of why Brad Thorn dropped him and why he shouldn’t be anywhere near the Wallabies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
1. Quade’s missed tackle on Pete Samu coming off the back of that scrum which lead to a Brumbies try next phase & 2. Quade’s stupid boxing cat fight on Tom Wright when he was in touch are the epitome of why Brad Thorn dropped him and why he shouldn’t be anywhere near the Wallabies.

Epitome of of a Ref watching one team. Brush up on your sophistry, it looks like Quade could be in discussion a lot this season.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Well over the top there TT. Might have missed Samu but so have about 20 other defenders in the four rounds this year. Quade has put himself right at the forefront for Wallaby selection this year, and that's from a Brumby fan. I am prepared right now to say that he should walk into the Wallabies on his form this year but I have no confidence that Cheika, the most disruptive influence on the Wallabies forever, will see it that way.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well over the top there TT. Might have missed Samu but so have about 20 other defenders in the four rounds this year. Quade has put himself right at the forefront for Wallaby selection this year, and that's from a Brumby fan. I am prepared right now to say that he should walk into the Wallabies on his form this year but I have no confidence that Cheika, the most disruptive influence on the Wallabies forever, will see it that way.
Rips someone for being over the top right before before being completely over the top.

Cheika has never hesitated to select Quade when form warranted it. Last year, obviously, he wasn't prepared to select him due to his Super situation.

AND Cheika is desperate for another 10 as evidenced by his ill advised selections of Beale and To'omua.

If he keeps it up he'll be right there competing with Foley for the 10 jersey.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If you watched AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on Fox after the game you'll know where and when the squad is meeting. Someone needs to head ion down and have a look

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm fairly confident so far that Fly-Away Foley should continue to be the undisputed and only fly-half choice, with no pressure on him at all, for the next decade.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
he's not in the squad is he?

No idea - but it sure sounded like he was while on the panel with the three Fox commentators on the field after the game.

He mentioned he was heading to meet Cheika and the squad at 8:30 this morning at South Coogee Surf Club

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Updated form Aussie team. A few Waratahs creeping back in after the bye. I have no personal aversion to Reds players BTW, this is all based on stats, they just aren't there for them at this stage.

1 Faulkner REB
2 Fainga'a BRU
3 Talakai REB
4 Phillip REB
5 Jones REB
6 Hanigan WAR
7 Samu BRU
8 Naisarani REB
9 Genia REB
10 Cooper REB
11 Koroibete REB
12 Kerevi RED
13 English REB
14 Folau WAR
15 Maddocks REB
Bench
16 Rangi REB
17 Johnson-Holmes WAR
18 Alalaatoa BRU
19 Carter BRU
20 Valentini BRU
21 Gordon WAR
22 Foley WAR
23 Rona WAR

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
And if you were expanding that into a 31 player 'form' RWC squad the 8 extra players would be:

Fitzpatrick
Kepu
Arnold
Hooper
Sorovi
Lealifano
Beale
Kuridrani

Status
Not open for further replies.