• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2019 School Rowing

Who will win 2019 HOTR?

• Joeys

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Newington

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Riverview

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Shore

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Grammar

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Kings

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • High

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scots

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Armidale

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

schludson

Frank Row (1)
Interesting to see which GPS crews will enter schoolboy head of the river next Sunday, inside sources indicate Sydney boys high have something in store for it. On another note, I was excited to see grammar only 3 seconds behind shore 1st VIII in the gold cup heats today, are they creeping up fast enough on shore for another Major Rennie trophy?

RowingFan

Frank Row (1)
Head of the River predictions 2 weeks out:
1st 8- Scots, Shore, Kings/Newington 1,2,4
2nd 8- Shore
3rd 8- Shore
1st 4- Riverview, Shore, Newington
2nd 4- Riverview, Newington, Shore
3rd 4- Shore
4th 4- Shore

RowingFan

Frank Row (1)
Mate I don't know where you have been all season to suggest those final positions, 1- Scots will be lucky to place top 3 in the first 8 unless they pull a riverview or Shore catch a crab. 2- According to Rowing NSW, Newington has won the last 4 gps races and are top of the GPS pointscore in the 2nd 4 event. Have you even watched any 2nd 4 races? The only race riverview has even come close to winning was yesterday at the gold cup where they lost on their own course.

Last time I checked it was a championship and form meant nothing nor did the point score... see last year first 8 for a salient example

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
While I go for Shore, its anything other than in the bag. Last year we arguably had the best crew winning all but the HOTR race from memory. So it really depends on who turns up mentally the strongest. Particularly this year when I cant remember another when about the top 4/5 schools have a shot if it all clicks on the day. Let's see what happens.

MR

PicknGo

Frank Nicholson (4)
What form has Riverview been in to suggest they will win 2nd 4

Riverviews program is designed to peak at HOTR. Last years win in the 1st VIII was no accident. They were running between 5 and 15 seconds behind Shore all year yet had it won at the 1500m mark!. In fact in last years HOTR all View crews performed well above the form they had coming into the event. So beware a View crew that has been running 4th/5th all year as they might just spring a surprise. I am with RowingFan - they will spring surprises in the IVs as well.

And one last point...the Riverview VIII under coaching Mike Doyle has a worst finish of 2nd since be started running the show. Came 2nd in the big one in both 2016 and 2017 by decreasing amounts before wining in 2018.

My prediction....View to win at least 3 races at this years HOTR.

Mexican

Frank Row (1)
Just had a quick look at SB8+ entries for Nationals. 21 entries so far (think entries closed today but not sure if that is a really hard close or not).

The surprise for me is NSW - no travel costs, home ground etc - only 2 entries (Shore and Joeys) - the same number of entries as each of WA, SA, Tas and Qld - with 11 entries from Vic.

I don't want to get into a debate about quality versus quantity - but would be interested in why more NSW schools don't enter SB8+ in the National regatta held in their own back yard.

Rowers4life

Frank Row (1)
How we feeling about Grammar 2nd VIII. They came 4th in Sydney Rowing Cub Regatta with a 6:18 and were only 2 seconds of podium. The seem like a strong crew considering last years Year 10 results from Grammar. I reckon podium for 2nd VIII is going to be very contested between Joeys, Newington, Scots and Grammar who are all within a 4 second margin
Thoughts?

29Duffmanrower

Frank Row (1)
The Grammar 2nd VIII seems to have had very inconsistent results throughout this season. Doing some research I saw that Grammar has not been traditionally very strong or even average in the 2nd VIII competition and I think we will see a 6th place finish at this years hotr due to an inability to keep up with the Kings, Scots, Shore and Newington 2nd VIII crews throughout the season. This is also especially evident after the gold cup races last Saturday where the crew came 2nd in the B Final to Newington by a lengthy margin for a 1400m race. I’ll expect to see Shore, Newington, Scots or Kings filling out the 2nd VIII podium this year.

rowingwagwan

Frank Row (1)
Get your facts right mate. Grammar 2nd 8 beat Newington in the heat as they were the better crew pushing through them at the end. Also in the first race between Newington, Grammar, Scots and Joeys; joes and Scots went into the wrong lanes when the race started giving them 50m less to row than Newington and Grammar, practically making it two different races. Then in the second race if you knew your facts you would know that Newington cut across two lanes which meant they had a shorter race compared to rest of the field. Scots doesn't have the stamina to last a 2km race and thats why Grammar rowed through them the other week. @Rowers4life is correct

29Duffmanrower

Frank Row (1)
Just seems like an excessive amount of excuses by someone who definitely sympathises with this Grammar crew. I did not mean to cause offence, was just meerly stating fact. We all know that heats are very imprecise measurements of a crews speed and we see the true power of schoolboy crews in the finals. My point is that Grammar crew just does simply not have the strength and/or determination to get themselves past 6th or maybe even 5th if they are lucky on the day.

On another note I have noticed that the Shore 2nd VIII has been increasingly inconsistent of late and that other schoolboy crews are starting to creep up on them. Does anyone know why this has been the case. A similar trend has been happening in the 1st VIII competition where crews like Scots, Kings and Grammar are constantly improving and edging closer. Will be interesting to see what crews will be able to take it to Shore on the day. Shore seems like they are hanging on for dear life!!

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Not so certain that they are hanging on for dear life. The boys are pumped, great bunch with a great spirit. If there's a club with a better spirit then I'm Jesus of Nazareth. May the best crew win !

The Casual Observer

Stan Wickham (3)
For what it's worth guys. I think Grammar will be competitive, but I can't see them placing in the either V111's races. The second V111 should be very tight with Shore and Kings slightly favoured to Scots and Newington. In the 1st V111 race you would have to go with Shore, but my hunch is that Scots and Kings still have some improvement in them which will make for a very close race come Saturday 23rd.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
With Scots poised to upset regular favourites Shore, the reality is we are ready for the most competitive HOTR in years. Get your old boy jerseys on and tune in!

Live!!

I_Snap_Oars_For_A_Living

Bob McCowan (2)
Riverviews program is designed to peak at HOTR. Last years win in the 1st VIII was no accident. They were running between 5 and 15 seconds behind Shore all year yet had it won at the 1500m mark!. In fact in last years HOTR all View crews performed well above the form they had coming into the event. So beware a View crew that has been running 4th/5th all year as they might just spring a surprise. I am with RowingFan - they will spring surprises in the IVs as well.

And one last point.the Riverview VIII under coaching Mike Doyle has a worst finish of 2nd since be started running the show. Came 2nd in the big one in both 2016 and 2017 by decreasing amounts before wining in 2018.

My prediction..View to win at least 3 races at this years HOTR.

Unfortunately I've got to disagree,

Although River View rowed a good race in 2018 HOTR, its not as if they were a better crew than Shore by the end of the season.

I think its safe to say if RiverView and Shore both rowed at 100% and had no mess ups/faults that we all know what the outcome would be. This is not taking away from Views HOTR win as it is about who rowed better on the day but targeting all these Ignatius fan boys that believe this is some sort of end of season magic fairy dust were no matter what position they are coming throughout the season (even gold cup) they will turn out on top (with no real evidence to prove otherwise apart from 2018 - which occurred once in the past 40 years)

My Predictions 85%Shore/15%Scots to win 1st VIII, and Shore to take out 2nd VIII. Not sure about the IV's, their has been to much movement each race to know.

See you all out there,
*I_Snap_Oars_For_A_Living*

The Casual Observer

Stan Wickham (3)
Unfortunately I've got to disagree,

Although River View rowed a good race in 2018 HOTR, its not as if they were a better crew than Shore by the end of the season.

I think its safe to say if RiverView and Shore both rowed at 100% and had no mess ups/faults that we all know what the outcome would be. This is not taking away from Views HOTR win as it is about who rowed better on the day but targeting all these Ignatius fan boys that believe this is some sort of end of season magic fairy dust were no matter what position they are coming throughout the season (even gold cup) they will turn out on top (with no real evidence to prove otherwise apart from 2018 - which occurred once in the past 40 years)

My Predictions 85%Shore/15%Scots to win 1st VIII, and Shore to take out 2nd VIII. Not sure about the IV's, their has been to much movement each race to know.

See you all out there,
*I_Snap_Oars_For_A_Living*

I agree with you regarding Riverview. I have watched every heat and final this season, and I don't think Riverview have the gears to challenge for 1st place. I think Shore are probably a 60% chance with both Kings and Scots an outside chance if they put it all together on the day, with Joeys right behind.

Isaac Pockers

Frank Row (1)
Man, the climate leading to HOTR is so intense it reminds me of the days when I was a rower and all my mates G'd me up haha, keen for this weekend!
P.S I've heard some rumours that Joey's have got a new 2018 C86 Empacher, anyone else heard this??

Status
Not open for further replies.