• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am sick to death of the constant negativity. Lets look at the good things happening around the place.

Crowd numbers at QPR games last year, start of the Premier Rugby 7s, increase in women's rugby opportunities and the quality of those matches, private programs like C2K, C2K getting those ex-players back involved, quality of the matches and players in the QPR, QPR live stream, Match of the round played on Foxsports, quality of GPS comp, potential for GPS to be on Foxsports. QLD NRC teams results, growth of players, even just things like Pillar to Post Podcast, more media awareness. There are plenty of things and I am sure they could be done better but lets not drag down people having a crack.

In terms of the Reds specifically

QC (Quade Cooper)
Does anyone think QC (Quade Cooper) would be playing as well if he was in QLD? His form for the Rebels is better than his form post round 4 in the Hospital Cup or the entire NRC. Would QC (Quade Cooper) be better than Stewart this year? Probably but what about next year and the year after. Long term Stewart is the guy as long as the Reds support him better than Jake McIntyre.

Hunt/Slipper
Remember their actions forced Thorns hand in the situation. Not the other way around.

Team
Thorn has an opportunity to shape the culture by moving on these players.

Coaching
Thorn is raw but they have supported him with a number experienced coaches. Mackay, Ryan and Alred. This is something they failed to do in the past (Graham and Styles for example).

Academy
McGahan and Carozza back to what they do and know best.

These changes are the foundations for success that will allow the Reds to improve their on field performance intern bringing back the crowds/sponsors and passion for the team.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Horrifying financials for the QRU

https://amp.couriermail.com.au/spor...ad91395ef3c5849e452?__twitter_impression=true

The cash-strapped Queensland Rugby Union will report a $1.09 million loss primarily because property group Majella has failed to pay a seven-figure jersey sponsorship.

The black eye on the balance sheet for the QRU’s annual general meeting on March 30 is due mainly to a $1.3 million shortfall from Majella as a bad and doubtful debt.

The contract money still being paid to Quade Cooper, James Slipper and Karmichael Hunt while they play for other Super Rugby clubs can also be revealed.

The QRU was so intent on shifting the trio from Queensland Reds’ deals active for 2019 they were prepared to pay for it.

It has cost the Reds $366,000 to watch Cooper reignite his career for the 3-0 Melbourne Rebels, Hunt play solidly for the NSW Waratahs and Slipper do the same for the Brumbies.

That figure listed as onerous (future) player payments would particularly grate with a number of QRU members who yesterday received advice on the QRU’s financial position.

How long was the sleeve sponsorship for?

$1.3m seems like a lot for such a small advert

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I can tell you that the circles I travel in rugby union is detested and the red are a source of ridicule.

On the flip side, many families with young kids are absolutely sick to death of the sheer idiocy of players over in League. The whole summer of sex tapes being released has definitely caused some mothers/wives to question why they would want their kids to look up to some players who simply don't get it.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
There have been positives and us fans will always find something positive but there comes a point where we have to be realistic.

I don't mean to single you out LB but this is something I've read numerous times on Reds/Wallabies threads for the last few years at least.

As a Reds/Rugby fan I don't HAVE to be realistic at all. What ROI I get out of my investment into the game be it, emotional, physical, financial or whatever, is for me to evaluate alone. By all means, be critical etc of the franchise and it's administration but don't expect everyone else to want to get into that with you. That's just my 2c worth. I'll hop off my soap box now.

dasduke

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'll bite. I've supported the Reds for too long to buy into this false dawn fairytale.

QC (Quade Cooper)
Does anyone think QC (Quade Cooper) would be playing as well if he was in QLD? His form for the Rebels is better than his form post round 4 in the Hospital Cup or the entire NRC. Would QC (Quade Cooper) be better than Stewart this year? Probably but what about next year and the year after. Long term Stewart is the guy as long as the Reds support him better than Jake McIntyre.
No QC (Quade Cooper) would not be playing as well in QLD - that's the problem. Poor coaching and lack of quality around him.
Yes, QC (Quade Cooper) would have been better than Stewart and he could have been a great mentor rather than throwing in a guy too early.
Personal policies and vendettas above loyalty

Hunt/Slipper
Remember their actions forced Thorns hand in the situation. Not the other way around.
Thorn is making these decisions. Higgers assaulted a police office but that's okay.
Team
Thorn has an opportunity to shape the culture by moving on these players.
Thorn is creating a culture on his puritanical view of the world and not based on loyalty and support. People screw up and a team that values support and community brings these people closer to get through their challenges. A person that you help through a crisis is more loyal and dedicated after the experience.
Coaching
Thorn is raw but they have supported him with a number experienced coaches. Mackay, Ryan and Alred. This is something they failed to do in the past (Graham and Styles for example).
How is that working out with the results?
Academy
McGahan and Carozza back to what they do and know best.
Investing in the academy and schools system is key. I don't know enough about the recent developments so will not comment.
These changes are the foundations for success that will allow the Reds to improve their on field performance intern bringing back the crowds/sponsors and passion for the team.
Winning games, having stars and being accountable to the fans will do this.

Even if by some miracle the Reds do well, I will struggle to accept the way they have treated some of their most loyal players. I've supported the Reds when they underperformed in the past. I would get out to Ballymore when they were on the bottom of the table. But now, I'm losing faith.

I'm not angry any more, just disappointed. I have spent a lot of time, money and most significantly emotional energy supporting the reds. This year, I have struggled to watch the games. Once Thorn is gone and they recruit beyond the carpark, I'm hopeful we'll see the sun again.

I do still watch this video whenever I need inspiration:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^^@dd

I completely agree with your every word. I have said it myself.

At this point though the topic is completely circular. I had been maintaining a self imposed policy of not starting anything , especially around Cooper, but allowed myself a right of response. Like yourself here.

But I think for the benefit of sanity I’ll be biting my tongue for the rest of the season. We’re at the battle-front now, all hands to the tiller irrespective of what we were saying before.

PS Go Easts!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Reds have the nucleus of a very competitive team. Losing Petaia was a body blow, for sure.

I agree that Hunt and Slipper had to go (as much for their own benefit as for the Reds), but not Cooper: at least not on the basis of what we know.

Maybe something happened behind closed doors.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
No QC (Quade Cooper) would not be playing as well in QLD - that's the problem. Poor coaching and lack of quality around him.
Yes, QC (Quade Cooper) would have been better than Stewart and he could have been a great mentor rather than throwing in a guy too early.
Personal policies and vendettas above loyalty

Poor coaching? Jim Mckay is the same guy who coached the backs/attack in 2011. Lack of quality in comparison to the other Australian teams yeah I'll take that but again that didn't hurt him too much in 2011. Haven't been a huge fan of Cordingley.

Thorn is making these decisions. Higgers assaulted a police office but that's okay.

The Higgers thing happened in Feb17. He was originally charged with assault then it was changed to obstructing police which was then dropped in Sept17. This was also prior to Thorns watch.

Thorn is creating a culture on his puritanical view of the world and not based on loyalty and support. People screw up and a team that values support and community brings these people closer to get through their challenges. A person that you help through a crisis is more loyal and dedicated after the experience.

I don't disagree that helping someone through a tough period builds support but from a organisational view Hunt and Slipper both got themselves into trouble multiple times. How many chances do you give someone before their behavior changes?

How is that working out with the results?

Clearly it is a work in progress but like it keep saying you cant change was has previously happened you can only move forward and over the past two years there has been a lot more positive than negative.

Even if by some miracle the Reds do well, I will struggle to accept the way they have treated some of their most loyal players. I've supported the Reds when they underperformed in the past. I would get out to Ballymore when they were on the bottom of the table. But now, I'm losing faith.

Who has been treated poorly if you discount Slipper and Quade? Simmons? I was happy he wasn't re-signed. Seems you are jaded by the past and wont move past it.

I'm not angry any more, just disappointed. I have spent a lot of time, money and most significantly emotional energy supporting the reds. This year, I have struggled to watch the games. Once Thorn is gone and they recruit beyond the carpark, I'm hopeful we'll see the sun again.

Who has been recruited from the car park recently? Great line to throw out but that was back in 2016. Who would you suggest is the head coach? You talk about loyalty but but you want to shunt the head coach.

I do still watch this video whenever I need inspiration:

Who was the backs/attack coach? Oh that's right Jim Mckay.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Actually Thorn was recruited from the carpark, as was Stiles. Apparently Blackadder was an option after Graham and they thought it would cost to much. I think looking back the decision they made has cost them much more.

In terms of all the love for McKay, I am happy he is in the set up, Phil "Chook" Fowler apparently had a huge say in the team tactics back in 2011.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Watching that video has been the highlight of my day. If only we could play like that again.

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I appreciate everyone here humouring me as it's cheaper than therapy.

Haha - unfortunately Dasduke i think we are all going to continue to need some therapy for some time yet.

Sometimes there is just not enough alcohol at arms reach.

BrutalTruth

Bob McCowan (2)
I feel like they've had one of the toughest draws to begin the season and it's not too late to turn things around. They have some great players and are picking from the local pool. Let's keep the same side on the pitch a few weeks in a row and watch the combinations grow.

If I can remember in 2011, every week you knew QC (Quade Cooper) at 10, Taps at 12, Faaingaa at 13.
Samo at 8, Higgers at 6 and Beau at 7.

Unfortunately Petaia's injury has thrown a spanner in the works but CFS is an absolute beast when he gets time and space. Let's hope the boys have a crack and play to score meat pies for the whole 80 minutes.
Hamish 10, SK 12, CFS 13.

I'd love to see a backrow that's experienced and been in the system developing for a few years.
Timu at 8, Higgers at 6, Korczyk at 7. Genuine line benders and tacklers at 6/8 with a breakdown pest and someone who never makes mistakes at 7.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I feel like they've had one of the toughest draws to begin the season and it's not too late to turn things around. They have some great players and are picking from the local pool. Let's keep the same side on the pitch a few weeks in a row and watch the combinations grow.

If I can remember in 2011, every week you knew QC (Quade Cooper) at 10, Taps at 12, Faaingaa at 13.
Samo at 8, Higgers at 6 and Beau at 7.

Unfortunately Petaia's injury has thrown a spanner in the works but CFS is an absolute beast when he gets time and space. Let's hope the boys have a crack and play to score meat pies for the whole 80 minutes.
Hamish 10, SK 12, CFS 13.

I'd love to see a backrow that's experienced and been in the system developing for a few years.
Timu at 8, Higgers at 6, Korczyk at 7. Genuine line benders and tacklers at 6/8 with a breakdown pest and someone who never makes mistakes at 7.

not quite. QC (Quade Cooper) and Genia played every match which was how blessed we were. Our two key players not missing a game.

Centres meddled a bit.

12 Fainga'a and 13 Chambers played a few.

12 Fainga'a and 13 Tapuai played a few

Harris played 12 sometimes, Ioane was tried at 13

Horwill actually started the season at 6 and Quirk at 78 with Houston at 8. The DK, Higgers, Beau combo finally came around week 7 although Higgers was 8 and Samo at 6. Gill and Wallace-Harrison played in the backrow too (as well as a once off for Ben Coridas).

But in reality we had two play makers at their very peak of form (or close to it) who didn't miss a match at all.

Reactions: dru

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Monsour's Majella Group was known to be in trouble for a long time. It's not a surprise.

Paying an average of 122k for each of the exiled players is lower than I thought, though.
Pretty sure it was 366 k just for Cooper..