• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5: Lions v Rebels - Sun12:05am @Emirates Park

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
You're not covering yourself in glory right now...

My god you've got a thin skin. I'm leaving this here. I suggest you toughen up, and develop some banter. And work on those witty comebacks. If you want some tips, start with trying the veal. I'm here all week.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hard luck to the Rebels. I stay away from critizing ref but Seconds sure is out of his depth. He make a habit of teams winning after the hooter.

Rebels looked very strong this year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You might want to check which team leads the competition in yellow cards, and ranked fourth in penalties conceded this year....

I'll give you a hint: they gave away 20 penalties tonight.

Lions were averaging a pretty high penalty count prior to tonight as well, prior to tonight they were averaging more penalties then the Rebel’s, however have somehow managed to pull of the lowest penalty count of the season?

We need to recognise that was a very questionable refereeing performance with some statistical outliers present which raise questions over his ability to manage a game.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Until the rebels learn to play 80 minute games instead of 40 minute halves they will continue to be pretenders.

Regardless of referee performance to lose that game after first half is an absolute disgrace

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Until the rebels learn to play 80 minute games instead of 40 minute halves they will continue to be pretenders.

Regardless of referee performance to lose that game after first half is an absolute disgrace
I don’t think you’re giving the ref enough credit.
That was some “performance “

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
One things needs to be clear, the Rebels lost that game more than the Lions were handed it.

There was clearly only one team been policed, but some serious poor game management lost this game. The reserve pack also got absolutely blown off the park and deserved from a scrummaging point of view every penalty they got. Fa’amasuili should be seriously looked at for Ainsley’s spot next week. For someone I have never rated but the selectors obviously did, I don’t even know if he’s in the top 10 THs in the country atm.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Rebels probably should have won that and their ill discipline was perplexing and seemed almost intentional.

That said, they played some lovely football and their pack held up for the first 40. They arent the finished product but its still the best Rebels team ive ever seen.

Beating Lions in SA is not small task and they came close.

Motm for me was Naisarani. A little ill disciplined but involved in everything, made metres every touch and capped it with a try.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Ken oath, what a game.

Positives:
- Rebels looked bloody amazing in that first half. Definitely shaken off the tag of 'pretenders' by completely dominating SA's best team for a half at altitude with minimal preparation.

- Billy Meakes and Rangi are both playing a level above what I thought they could. Rangi is a cannonball on legs and Meakes is loving having a decent flyhalf inside him. I'm excited to see what they can do.

- General lineout work is great. Coleman had a brilliant maul disruption.

- Having another reliable clearance kicker in Hodge on the field really helped. His starting return was decent. In saying that, I thought Koroibete was one of the few Rebels who put in a decent shift in the 2nd half.

- Naisarani is looking like that 8 Aus rugby has so desperately needed.

- Rebels' set play moves and counterattack were great. Looked threatening everytime. 5 great team tries were scored with another two or three that should've been scored too. Rebels look dangerous.

Negatives:
- Penalties, penalties, penalties. Coach killer.

- What was that by QC (Quade Cooper), not grounding the ball in the try area, foolish play.

- Our scrum, can't win games with a scrum on skates.

- Saffa commentators. Almost make the game unwatchable. These guys were slightly more bearable than the ones in the Jaguares game. Is it because of the time difference that they only commentate one team? At least here NZ and Aus commentators try and educate/commentate about the away team from across the ditch.

- That dangerous tackle by Genia on Marx, piiishhh, Marx should be ashamed.

- Followed late in the game with I think Ainsley being pinged for not releasing the player and the Lions player just driving straight at his neck. Ref saw the replay but obviously thought it didn't merit anything. Looked definitely dangerous.

- What the flying fuck is with that lopsided penalty count. Like sure, Rebels were atrocious, sure they might be the worst in the competition. That still doesn't explain the Lions having a near perfect game with ONE FLAMING PENALTY. Has that been done before?

Just looking at the scoreline, I think Rebs fans would be happy to take a bonus point away from a really tough fixture in SA.
As some posters said before, they really needed to get in front and not blow it by HT because they would be exhausted in the 2nd half. I noticed already by 20 minutes the Rebs were blowing hard. I'm not too upset with this, Rebels looked the much better team and discipline is something you can fix going forward.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
^^^The Munster v Kings game last month, Munster 0 Kings 14. Match score was 43-0 to at least reflects one side being dominated. But I also watched the game again and saw Munster were getting away with a bit but we're a class ahead of the Kings, was a game of men v boys.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
No penalties when rebel’s dominated scrum , lions had knees and hands down , nothing ,,,, a lot of the penalties came from the touch judge , was it Jaico Peyper ?? Not sure but he had his hand on the button a lot ,,,, terrible reffing BUT it’s like the conditions you must play what is in front of you , rebels need to learn to recognise that and be able to adjust

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^The Munster v Kings game last month, Munster 0 Kings 14. Match score was 43-0 to at least reflects one side being dominated. But I also watched the game again and saw Munster were getting away with a bit but we're a class ahead of the Kings, was a game of men v boys.
The Irish are reknowned for their discipline. The Lions have Malcolm 'on my knees' Marx who has never legally pilfered a ball in his career.

The ref just looked fairly junior and let the Rebels otherwise atrocious discipline blind him to the less overt Lions penalties.

Scrums/mauls are literal penalty lotteries.

Edit: one of the commentators actually tried to make some impartial comments in the first have and got shut down by his co-host who was aggresively biased.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Painful to watch in the second half. I think all fans accept match officials are human and makes mistakes but you at least want to see some consistency. Seconds blatantly favoured the Lions the guy is incompetent and shouldn’t be officiating at this level.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I watched the game knowing the score and the penalty count. I expected to be screaming at the TV as the ref ignored countless Lions infringements, and then pinged the Rebels every chance he could.

But that wasn't what happened. I thought he was fine. In fact, the main criticism I'd make is he should have put another Rebel in the bin in the second half.

There were no aggregious Lions infringements, at best you could have found a few 50/50 ruck penalties. No missed high shots or abuses of the offside line. Their first half defence was so weak they barely had a chance to infringe.

It was a great game of rugby, some brilliant play by both teams. Rebels look so well coached, but were a bit overenthusiastic in the second half. Naisirani and Genia both great, as was Cooper, Meakes, Jones.

They could have managed that final scrum better. It was a shame as their defence in the last 15 was great, and they deserved to hang on for the draw. Channel 1 ball and kick it out, but they couldn't get it done.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If we were playing 40 minute rugby - Rebels could claim to be one of the best - but last time I checked it is an 80 minute game. And sadly they have a history of not being able to play 80 minute rugby.

Until that changes they will be perennial underachievers and frustrate the crap out of their fans and limit the ability to grow their fan base.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I watched the game knowing the score and the penalty count. I expected to be screaming at the TV as the ref ignored countless Lions infringements, and then pinged the Rebels every chance he could.

But that wasn't what happened. I thought he was fine. In fact, the main criticism I'd make is he should have put another Rebel in the bin in the second half.

There were no aggregious Lions infringements, at best you could have found a few 50/50 ruck penalties. No missed high shots or abuses of the offside line. Their first half defence was so weak they barely had a chance to infringe.

It was a great game of rugby, some brilliant play by both teams. Rebels look so well coached, but were a bit overenthusiastic in the second half. Naisirani and Genia both great, as was Cooper, Meakes, Jones.

They could have managed that final scrum better. It was a shame as their defence in the last 15 was great, and they deserved to hang on for the draw. Channel 1 ball and kick it out, but they couldn't get it done.
I don’t think many are whinging about the Rebels been penalized but it was pretty apparent only one side was reffed. Of the 20 penalties prob 15-16 of them were absolutely correct, which is probably reflective of most games (75-80%). But it was very clear the Ref sub consciously had eyes for one team only, hence every 50/50 was given to the Lions and against Rebels. Almost like he’s thought, this shouldn’t be happening, surely they are up to something that’s causing this to happen. It’s abit of a problem with Aussie teams in general, in that the game was screaming out for someone to manage the ref in a calm and controlled manner and remind the referee that there was another team on the field that was staying off their feet and pushing the offside line as much as his team was. Case in point Marx typically (like he does) never supports his weight, they scored a run away try from one, he even managed to slap the ball out of the ruck while laying on his back.

Biggest issue in the game tho was the Rebels willingness to continue to play football, instead of the clock. The ball should of been belted down field or over the touch line, but they continued to attempt to run and run and run against a team that was clearly getting over the top of them. I don’t think the selectors would of been very impressed with the smarts of many of the decision makers in the team.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If we were playing 40 minute rugby - Rebels could claim to be one of the best - but last time I checked it is an 80 minute game. And sadly they have a history of not being able to play 80 minute rugby.

Until that changes they will be perennial underachievers and frustrate the crap out of their fans and limit the ability to grow their fan base.

Haha this is hyperbole of the highest level. Perennial underachievers? This is their 2nd year that they have been finals contenders in 8 years of existence. We all know a team north of the Murray who are much more deserving of the tag 'perennial underachievers'.

I'd speak for your own fanbase before speaking for ours. I can tell you that the Rebels season so far has been far from frustrating.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Haha this is hyperbole of the highest level. Perennial underachievers? This is their 2nd year that they have been finals contenders in 8 years of existence. We all know a team north of the Murray who are much more deserving of the tag 'perennial underachievers'.

I'd speak for your own fanbase before speaking for ours. I can tell you that the Rebels season so far has been far from frustrating.
It's not the first time they've had a strong roster and not achieved anything with it, though.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's not the first time they've had a strong roster and not achieved anything with it, though.
Gees if Rebels fans happy to accept the good history of good 40 minute half games against the top teams and getting hammered in the second half then maybe all is good with the rebels. Constructive criticism from me is with the Roster they offer so much potential but potential gets you only so far against the top teams.