• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
If LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) could just drop his body height on the right occasion he'd be damn near unstoppable.

Take Rory Arnold on the classes too.

When I was a young fella we were force to run into hit shields and do mauling under a racking system. If you ran high to you hit the timber. Not fun.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So, after 5 rounds, who are the smokies putting their hand up with a genuine shot at getting a gig. Realistically, there isn't going to be wholesale changes and it probably requires barnstorming form to get a gig in a World Cup year. For example, not sure Philip will get a crack when Coleman, Simmons, Rodda, Salakaia-Loto & Arnold are all available.

Rangi may be a show with some of the other contenders not exactly nailing down their spot.

McCaffrey may get a look in, but I tend to think there are too many others in front of him.

I would have had Petaia in there as an almost certaInty for the squad, but with his injury he may not have enough time to get back.

Meakes is probably the one banging on the door. Just not sure if To'omua's return might be a stumbling block.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So, after 5 rounds, who are the smokies putting their hand up with a genuine shot at getting a gig.

Agree with Meakes and Rangi. Add Cooper. And I expect to see a return of Slipper. It will be interesting to see who get's teh back up to Genia - not clear I don't think.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - I didn't include Cooper, Slipper or Hunt. They are all easier to include as they have past squad experience. But I agree many would see them as fitting the description of a smokie.

I expect both Cooper & Slipper to make it on current form and Hunt is in with a genuine shot too.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Agree with Meakes and Rangi. Add Cooper. And I expect to see a return of Slipper. It will be interesting to see who get's teh back up to Genia - not clear I don't think.

will be phipps and one of gordon or powell. probably the former

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If Powell can break himself of the habit of stepping back/sideways he'll push for a start. Genia's temper issues need addressing. But that is a handy pair of 9s.

Phipps can't unpick himself if he hasn't played yet, but by fuck that Tahs pack is getting mullered so he's hardly going to get front-foot ball to deliver.

Most of the Tahs have played themselves out of contention in any normal* universe. Hooper just turned it around on the weekend, but can't start ahead of Pocock no matter how many years he has left on his contract.

* But this is the Cheikaverse, so who knows?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
5 rounds of Super down, are the Wallabies' prospects looking better, worse, or about the same as last year?

I'd say a bit better, mainly thanks to more backrow options and Quade in contention at 10. Although the patchy play of the Waratahs, Brumbies, and Reds remains a concern.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rebels pack were mullered as well by an inexperienced Lions 8.
Naisarani, Jones and Rangi looked ok in patches but they were well and truly stiched up by a no name pack.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Coleman’s form has fallen off a cliff, likewise with Timu, Rodda is looking like a lock at lock. Phillip and Jones both get through a lot of work, but we need a bit of mongrel and not just a workrate. Like all selections, it’s gojng to be about finding balance across the pack.

4. Rodda
5. Arnold
6. Jones
7. Pocock
8. Naisarani

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
5 rounds of Super down, are the Wallabies' prospects looking better, worse, or about the same as last year?

I'd say a bit better, mainly thanks to more backrow options and Quade in contention at 10. Although the patchy play of the Waratahs, Brumbies, and Reds remains a concern.

I'd say it's a combination of being too early to tell and worse/about the same as last year.

The average play of three of our super sides is a concern. We have some players playing really well but a whole lot of key players who aren't.

The form of a few fringe players such as Billy Meakes is hugely encouraging. There's not space for a lot of players to burst onto the scene in a World Cup year but there is space for a couple if they play well enough.

It's still really early though. The form in the last 6 weeks of Super Rugby is going to be far more relevant than anything else.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'd say it's a combination of being too early to tell and worse/about the same as last year.

The average play of three of our super sides is a concern. We have some players playing really well but a whole lot of key players who aren't.

The form of a few fringe players such as Billy Meakes is hugely encouraging. There's not space for a lot of players to burst onto the scene in a World Cup year but there is space for a couple if they play well enough.

It's still really early though. The form in the last 6 weeks of Super Rugby is going to be far more relevant than anything else.
Meakes is timing his run fairly well. No standout 12 for the Wallabies last year. Beale was off form last year and appears to be out of touch this year as well.

If things stay the same, and he can't make the squad now he never will.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If Poey is busted Hooper's the starting 7 without doubt. Worst case he's on the bench

In the coming shakeup of the Wallabies team/squad I'd have Pocock and Hooper as co-captains. Pocock would be the preferred starter at No 7, but Hooper would miss the bench. In case of injury/rest to Poey, Hooper comes into 7 and takes on the captaincy.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Agree about Gordon. He is a tough rooster, his kicking is reasonable and his workrate is high. He could start if anything happens to Genia. He would not set the world on fire, but he would not make too many mistakes, or miss too many tackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.