• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^ he has played a couple of positions . Played prop during one trial game .

Brothers have Dobby as their first choice #2 who currently is in the Junior Wallaby squad, don't think Hudson will get a run at 2 for colts unless he is injured or gets a call up to 1st grade.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Interestingly , Hudson played #8 in U16a's and benched for the First XV as a prop in 2017. Starting #2 for the First XV 2018.

Similar story to Levi White , #8 in 16a's 2016, starting LHP First XV 2017.

See a pattern?

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Interestingly , Hudson played #8 in U16a's and benched for the First XV as a prop in 2017. Starting #2 for the First XV 2018.

Similar story to Levi White , #8 in 16a's 2016, starting LHP First XV 2017.

See a pattern?

Melvin went from No 8 16bs to prob (with White) V NC 2017 so neither GT prop that day played prop the year before.

ET was a 5/6/8 in the 16's as well, albeit not at GT.

I expect there is a fair chance the guy lining up with ET this year, won't have been playing prop in 2018.

As you have already alluded the 2 will likely be in the same boat as well.

More than a pattern almost looks like a plan.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
ET was always miscast at 5/6/8 - certainly not enough endurance or ball skill to be playing in back row power spots and never really a jump option at 4/5

Was always a 1

And I wouldn’t be writing off Ed Hiley to Prop with ET. Has done the Colts preseason at UQ and playing some Colts 2 to warm up for the school season. Can he stay healthy ? That’s the question .

I’d run ET/Gus/Ed - I’m pretty sure that’d be the best front row GT could put forward

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
ET was always miscast at 5/6/8 - certainly not enough endurance or ball skill to be playing in back row power spots and never really a jump option at 4/5

I think the point is not where they SHOULD have been playing but where they WERE playing - all those listed were going to end up in the front row, and were never going to play in the back row at the top level , its whether they should have transitioned earlier is the question.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@BAG

Yes. Fair point. But no use crying over spilt altar wine.

At least ET had time at 1 last year and Ed has always propped. Gus has seen plenty of development time at 2 for 3 years for it not to be foreign to him. In the 16's, realistically, boys need to be flexible with movement up and down with Firsts etc

Reality across spots and the broader point that Nomad was making , I believe , is more pertinent as it relates to Zeke. I called it a long time ago and it was only last year that he started to see some time at 3 in the 16A's.

Probably a bit wackier has been Jordyn Bell's positional journey over the last few years

Pat Elekana's as well

Jeff Thompson69

Stan Wickham (3)
long way from start of the season but i reckon this is GT's Best team
1. Emerson Treasure
2. Gus Dillman
3. Ed Hiley / Ezekiel Amituanai
4. Xavier Boyle
5. Marly Bitungane
6. Charlie Condon
7. Louis Jorgensen
8. Aiden Chambers
9. Tom Burns
10. Quinn Siolo
11. Ed backstrom
12. Pat Elekana
13. Glen Vaihu
14. Keegan Van der berg
15. David Vaihu

If only they let Aidan Lattre repeat like he wanted, they wouldn't be in this front row dilemma

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I`m not sure I`d go with Siolo at 10. I think he is much better at 15. I think Elekana could develop into a quality 10.

Bell will be in the mix, who knows where. Ben Hearn and Ben McMahon will push for spots in the backs, Fergus Nasser had experience in a couple of 1st games last year so will likely be around too. Other front row options are Stevens and Metuseia-Suapaia.

As for Latter, I see he`s playing Colts 1 at Uni. I think club rugby suits him much better than the schoolboy stuff.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
long way from start of the season but i reckon this is GT's Best team
1. Emerson Treasure
2. Gus Dillman
3. Ed Hiley / Ezekiel Amituanai
4. Xavier Boyle
5. Marly Bitungane
6. Charlie Condon
7. Louis Jorgensen
8. Aiden Chambers
9. Tom Burns
10. Quinn Siolo
11. Ed backstrom
12. Pat Elekana
13. Glen Vaihu
14. Keegan Van der berg
15. David Vaihu

If only they let Aidan Lattre repeat like he wanted, they wouldn't be in this front row dilemma

Ezekiel Amituanai's scrum work and work ethic has been the question. Talent is quite obvious but needs to match it scrum wise with the other props to get the spot.

Condon has a disciplinary issues in game and again, plenty of quality options like Nasser in the mix.
Chambers also coming off a long injury lay off and has always had issues adapting his rugby league style game to the rigours of union.

I further the idea that Siolo is a quality 15 but not a 10. So too Elekana imo. I think he would much be suited to 15 as well.

Backstrom a very quality winger and there will be plenty of competition for spots at GT this year.

They will be a quality side and those who underestimate them will go down.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree GWM,

Think PE’s best spot is 15 (or12), but might end up again at 10 depending on the development of Bell.

Plenty of competition in the midfield/outside backs , which is very healthy. Would say a couple spots there to be won with the right attitude and approach to preseason, equaling there to be lost.......

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
All schools do well when you right them off too.

NC will be top dog though. Schoolboy rugby has time and time again be dominated by flyhalfs and Nudgee have the best one at that. They have an outstanding leader who dominates and a team that knows how to win. Out and out favourites

Jeff Thompson69

Stan Wickham (3)
I`m not sure I`d go with Siolo at 10. I think he is much better at 15. I think Elekana could develop into a quality 10.

Bell will be in the mix, who knows where. Ben Hearn and Ben McMahon will push for spots in the backs, Fergus Nasser had experience in a couple of 1st games last year so will likely be around too. Other front row options are Stevens and Metuseia-Suapaia.

As for Latter, I see he`s playing Colts 1 at Uni. I think club rugby suits him much better than the schoolboy stuff.

Metusela-Suapaia will not play firsts, currently around 160kg mark

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
All schools do well when you right them off too.

NC will be top dog though. Schoolboy rugby has time and time again be dominated by flyhalfs and Nudgee have the best one at that. They have an outstanding leader who dominates and a team that knows how to win. Out and out favourites

You are so right.NC have the best player RP (by a mile)and the 2nd best player- Vella. But gee that BBC backline worries me Clearly Savage & Bowyer are 2 fastest players in comp(Savage after 2018 T&F is fastest in GPS history).And I know that they have to get the ball. But my nephew was in our 16A last year & they got walloped by BBC by 30 points-they got some big running boys in that team . As long as RP and HV stay fit I back 3 peat. And BBC have no 10
So I predict
NC
BBC
TSS

rocketman

Frank Row (1)
You are so right.NC have the best player RP (by a mile)and the 2nd best player- Vella. But gee that BBC backline worries me Clearly Savage & Bowyer are 2 fastest players in comp(Savage after 2018 T&F is fastest in GPS history).And I know that they have to get the ball. But my nephew was in our 16A last year & they got walloped by BBC by 30 points-they got some big running boys in that team . As long as RP and HV stay fit I back 3 peat. And BBC have no 10
So I predict
NC
BBC
TSS

BBC 10 = Ripley, Claridge, Gordon - All Quality footy players