• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Knox Show Early Potential

After a dismal 2018, Knox have kicked off the 2019 season with a strong showing against Oakhill.

A warm, sunny afternoon saw the 16A's head out on to a wet Hermann Oval. An arm-wrestle ensued, with both teams staunch in defence and creative in attack. As the tight game was drawing to a thrilling close, the referee started struggling to control the raging testosterone on both sides. A case of "Handbags at Five Metres" five minutes before the siren saw a Knox player yellow carded for "Holding the ball at the penalty", and thus starting the melee. It made no difference to the final result, with Knox winning 10-8.

The 3rd's followed, with Knox fielding a predominantly Year 11 team. Both sides were willing, however the Knox set piece kept pressure on Oakhill all afternoon. That, combined with aggressive defence and strong running from Longhi (6) saw Knox just too good with a 20-10 victory.

The 2nd's then ran out on to a perfectly prepared Damien Oval. Knox were immediately on the attack, with Muskens (9) and Asher (10) controlling traffic in the halves, and Korthout (12) smashing his way through the mid-field defence. Knox again dominated at the set piece, winning both scrums and lineouts against the feed all afternoon. Oakhill were gallant in defence, however with less than 30% possession, it was all one-way traffic. Knox the winners 44-0.

Knox 2nd's are an interesting team this year, with two-thirds of them backing up from last years' 3rd's (placed 3rd in CAS 2018), and the remainder from the 2018 highly rated 16A's. They appear to be a cohesive unit, backing each other, and never giving up. In fact, 5 minutes from full time, with the game wrapped up, Knox could have been forgiven for letting in a try in the corner after Oakhill made a break down the middle, popped a pass from the ground to a flying number 11 who was in for all money. Except Nicholl (14) came from nowhere to stop him on the line, and Asher (10) arrived on the scene to help bundle the player into touch in goal. This is a Knox team with a bit of belief and commitment, who may even trouble the highly rated Barker and Waverley 2nd's this year.

Then it was time for the 1st's. Knox look to have used the off-season to build size and skills. Backing up in the 1st's from 2018 this year are Hughs (5), Gratwicke (6), Breden (7), T. Constable (9), Addis (14), Cheal (8), Fitzgerald (10), Kablau (3) and Grobler (2), with S. Rechner (12) and Griffiths (15) returning from last years early season injuries. In fact, of the 18 1st's players named, 16 are currently in Year 12, with all having played together for many years.

This cohesion showed, with Knox scoring from the kickoff, running the ball from their 22 with Rechner (12) and Evans (11) teaming up to outpace the Oakhill backs. The second kickoff had a similar result, and with Fitzgerald (10) slotting conversions from the sideline Knox were up 14-0 in under 3 minutes.

An utterly dominant scrum, and a lineout winning 50% of the opposition ball meant that Knox had more than 80% possession. With Hughs (5) and Grobler (2) making meters up the middle and Evans (11) and Griffiths (15) carving up the backs, Oakhill had a very tough first half, finding themselves down 55-0 at the break.

However, they never gave up, and with a 30km/h breeze at their backs, Oakhill put in a mighty effort in the second half. Knox though, were just too good, running out eventual winners 74-0.

Knox would have been disappointed with their loss of structure in the 2nd half, with too many passes going to ground. However, their rock solid defence and speed in the backs must give the coaches some hope for an improved year after the disappointments of 2018.

Injury concerns for Knox include T. Constable (9 - shoulder) and S. Rechner (12 - hamstring).

With Barker and Cranbrook having many of last years 1st's returning, and Waverley again being very strong in the backs, 2019 is shaping up to be a cracker of a year for CAS rugby.

concernedcranbrookmum

Bob McCowan (2)
my take on CAS season 2019

very different to CAS 2018, where it was really just 2 juggernauts in Barker and Waverley

this year I agree GPS should prove a lot stronger . and so hopefully the pre-season GPS rounds don't have a bearing

very hard to pick an out and out favourite . last year Barker had a monster pack and business-like backs. and this year every team has some chinks in the armour

in 2019 you might fancy Cranbrooks chances . particularly with a new GPS coach, the best CAS backrower in Alex O'Reilly, the best 9, a good draw, a respectable 2018 season with strong showings

However I think there are some weaknesses. and really Jude Gibbs (now joeys star 10)had to remain at brook for them to win

Waverley . as always a strong chance. I really rate their backs . LHW is a freak , Volkman is the CAS best 10, and Midford/Jordan Swann mean backs red hot ...however what they don't have is a formidable back row in 2018’s Molloy/Murphy/Moretti

yes , they have Moretti Junior, however unlike Luca he wasn't an Aussie Schools player in year 11 . so he is good, and will show some dazzle dazzle.however while he got picked in the NSW 7s team . in terms of 15 aside.. just not as big and hard to contain, as Luca

further Waverley's problem is they have a huge pre-season and I think they will do well to come in 2nd, as they will find their schedule their undoing

Trinity . they are being pretty under-rated , as they have the monster trucks in 2019 and if Hugh Engele is still coach I rate them as a pretty good chance . have a formidable back row in Iemaria, Eid and Pelesasa plus Malachi Hawkes (3) and several handy backs - who could do like the 2018 Barker backs . and run off the back of a strong forward pack. Either way Trinity a real chance IMHO.

Barker . kind of the opposite to Waverley’s 2019 team . some big name forwards (pollard who might be better used at breakaway) and unknown backs. So think it will be hard to rack up the points as they did in 2018. Pollard and Wilson to be missing their 2018 tall timber

Aloys . Ok they will at least smoke the HSC. But will be the cellar-dwellers, lacking the forward grunt

so that leaves me with Knox . they had a horrible 2018 . however I think they will probably have a far better 2019 . with some balance across the park, and youngsters better for the 2018 experience. This age group was strong, in 16As (As mentioned earlier) and I expect to see the likes of Ollie Evans, Oscar cheal, grobler, gratwick and in the backs Darcy Fitzgerald and Sam rechner.make a name. So I am tipping them as surprise favourites

my tipping of ladder

Knox
Waverley/Trinity
Cranbrook
Barker
Aloys

NO KNOX OR CRANBROOK)

Bit Late to the Scene of this post... but, I believe that Barker will still have momentum going forward into 2019 after a beautiful season in 2018, although they have lost the likes of Reimer and Tjeck, they still have the best Hooker in the country, Billy Pollard. But this is also very late, he was suddenly at barker in 2018, was he a sporting scholarship recipient or just coincidence that he joined the College that year and conveniently plays Australian Schoolboy Footy???

Waverly- Waverly has always had a "forward grunt" since the '80s but they still lack the balance between true students and Sporting Scholars. Some of the previous First XV boys may understand the pain of their position being snaked by a Sporting Scholarship, the school needs to realise that a school is a place for learning academically not being a man on the Sporting field. Because in my own opinion, academia matters more in life because a sporting career may fall through the cracks.

Trinity- Basically the same as Waverly, but they have not got the best momentum at the moment from a disappointing attempt at 2018 CAS comp. But they did have some brilliant players like Tane Edmond, whom unfortunate graduated.

Aloys- Aloys have always had an aspect of "underdog in them" due to the forces of a prevalent school comradery in the phrase "always back the boys" this always gives the boys an adrenaline rush when they hear the various chants from the Sideline when playing footy, this happens frequently at their fortress in Willoughby. I personally believe that Aloys will have a decent season maybe pushing for 3rd.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
NO KNOX OR CRANBROOK)

Bit Late to the Scene of this post. but, I believe that Barker will still have momentum going forward into 2019 after a beautiful season in 2018, although they have lost the likes of Reimer and Tjeck, they still have the best Hooker in the country, Billy Pollard. But this is also very late, he was suddenly at barker in 2018, was he a sporting scholarship recipient or just coincidence that he joined the College that year and conveniently plays Australian Schoolboy Footy???

Waverly- Waverly has always had a "forward grunt" since the '80s but they still lack the balance between true students and Sporting Scholars. Some of the previous First XV boys may understand the pain of their position being snaked by a Sporting Scholarship, the school needs to realise that a school is a place for learning academically not being a man on the Sporting field. Because in my own opinion, academia matters more in life because a sporting career may fall through the cracks.

Trinity- Basically the same as Waverly, but they have not got the best momentum at the moment from a disappointing attempt at 2018 CAS comp. But they did have some brilliant players like Tane Edmond, whom unfortunate graduated.

Aloys- Aloys have always had an aspect of "underdog in them" due to the forces of a prevalent school comradery in the phrase "always back the boys" this always gives the boys an adrenaline rush when they hear the various chants from the Sideline when playing footy, this happens frequently at their fortress in Willoughby. I personally believe that Aloys will have a decent season maybe pushing for 3rd.

Interesting comments Concerned..... unfortunately quite a bit unbalanced and uninformed.
Agree that Academia is very important for those who wish to pursue a University/white collar career.However there are many people who do not, and we need these people arguably just as much, often more so. FYI, nearly ALL schools offer scholarships for 1 thing or another and Cranbrook also offers Rugby Scholarships, maybe under a different name but it does, personally know 1 prime example, and good on that boy. Waverly is also spelt with an e before the y. Going back to the 80's as a reference point for Rugby scholarships is drawing a long bow, and just not true as you suggest it has always been rife. We ALL really hope that Brook have a great year this year, for the school, and the CAS comp!

Steve Jane23

Stan Wickham (3)
Interesting comments Concerned... unfortunately quite a bit unbalanced and uninformed.
Agree that Academia is very important for those who wish to pursue a University/white collar career.However there are many people who do not, and we need these people arguably just as much, often more so. FYI, nearly ALL schools offer scholarships for 1 thing or another and Cranbrook also offers Rugby Scholarships, maybe under a different name but it does, personally know 1 prime example, and good on that boy. Waverly is also spelt with an e before the y. Going back to the 80's as a reference point for Rugby scholarships is drawing a long bow, and just not true as you suggest it has always been rife. We ALL really hope that Brook have a great year this year, for the school, and the CAS comp!

I think you'll find WLF that 'Concerned Cranbrook Mum' isn't in fact a Cranbrook supporter and rather someone trying to stir some grief, at least I would hope this is the case...

brookienuffie

Frank Row (1)
false flag attack on Cranbrook, trying to make us all look like dickheads before the start of the season. focus on the footy, not on the politics, and lets hope for a cracking year of CAS rugby.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Can't see Aloys having a good year and I am an old boy from Aloys. I thought with Antico in 2019 they may have caused an upset or two however I doubt that now. They did have some fairly decent players last year until injuries hit them. I think the 16 A's weren't that strong and some of the better 1st XV players graduated last year. Knox, Waverley, Barker and Cranbrook all have a chance this year. However, I like Waverley. From what I have seen they should have very good backs. The question mark will be the whether the forwards have the grunt to match it with the other teams forwards.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
My first look at the Barker Reds for 2019 was pretty interesting. The Reds have the makings of a very solid team. Maybe not at the same level as 2018 but there is some very positive signs for not only this year but also next.

Missing from todays 1st XV was Billy Pollard, Dane Wilson and Luc Weymouth in the forwards. The backs looked at full strength. I was very impressed with the Barker backs. Luke Harrison at 9 is a clone of last years capt David Tecjek and Hilton Ovenden is just sublime at 10. His running and passing game is the best I have seen from a Barker 10 in many years.

The centres Joe kennedy and Liam Jones are a talented pair with ball in hand, although we did not get to see how they are on defence. With Kyle Galloway on one wing and Lucas Vass (4 tries today but should have been 5) on the other, the Reds have a set of backs that can score points.

Their 15 young Kyle Bowen is a real find. Short in stature but a real nugget, he can tackle and run.

The forwards though was where Barkers dominance is derived. Barkers front row is very solid with Adrian Brown bulking up and Nathan Woodley (I think) from the 2nds being very dominant around the park. Jordan Cameron lead the side and completely dominated the lineouts with partner Ned Slack Smith.

But its the back row who starred on the day. Dan t"he Man" Stovold was enormous at 8 and young Mitch wheals at 7 (who kicked 6 from 9) were just every where and very solid at the breakdown and solid on defence.

Most pleasing on todays performance was that 9 of the lads were year 11.

The Reds may not be as strong as Knox and Waves this year, but they will give a very good account of themselves especially in the CAS round.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I believe view beat Waverley 21-12

View has been bogey team for Waverley

However waves will learn from that

Playing against a 15 year old 10 (albeit son of a wallaby) they would of liked their chances

But jack Bowen to me showed he is one to watch

And waves probably need to look at recycling ball better

Undone by views pods... was part of their problem

A lot of tall timber in this years Waverley pack ... and given how few line outs are in most games, might need to ponder selections.

Need a tadg Murphy

Not sure if Alex rice is a natural captain, but he played well and particularly good at getting body height low for a tall kid

I liked the replacement 16 ... is he from the 16As?

And the front row was better when last years prop came on... clearly carrying a knee niggle

Anyway Waverley will come good ... and today was probably a good thing

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Yes SDW,

Riverview deserved to win today, the View 10 and 12 are both in year 10, and extremely good, both played great games in their debuts.
I believe there are some good days ahead for the Waves, today they just dropped too much ball in promising plays, but when they do click it will look very different. The no.8 today for Waverley is also in year 10 and he is one to watch.

These 2 teams will meet again in the months to come, it will be interesting to see how each team grows.

A hot day for all concerned but a good hit out.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any other CAS results?

Thought I saw cranners 2019 players in the crowd... did they not have a game?

What are tours.... other than Waverley to japan sanix?

Steve Jane23

Stan Wickham (3)
Any other CAS results?

Thought I saw cranners 2019 players in the crowd. did they not have a game?

What are tours.. other than Waverley to japan sanix?
SDW, Aloys had a game against pius yesterday but unsure of the score, I’d assume the aloys boys would have got up comfortabely. Brook was without a game yesterday and head to The AIS in Canberra this week with games against Marist Canberra and kinross Wallaroi. Should be a couple good hit outs. Trinity played Newington yesterday but again am not sure of a score line.

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
With 1,100 students from years 9-12 on cadet camp, Knox had a lot fewer Opens players to choose from for their two matches this week.

Thursday night saw a match on Knox 1 against Arndell Anglican College. Played in torrential rain, handling on both sides was sloppy, with Knox taking the win.

Saturday saw Knox travel to Erina to play Central Coast Grammar.

The Central Coast boys fell behind early in the match, but fought their way back through some very effective counter rucking and great ball control. Two quick tries at the end of the match saw CCG take the win (I think), with Knox finishing the game with 14 players due to a couple of injuries and limited reserves.

It was a good hit-out for the Knox boys, who were made up of players from the 4ths/5ths/6ths.

The Knox 1st’s and 2nd’s head off to Japan on the first day of school holidays, with several matches planned.