• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2019

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
I just saw that Burraneer are playing a trial against Atiu.

Are Atiu seeking re-entry to the comp?

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Numbers looking seriously concerning for quite a few clubs now...noticed Brothers have completely dropped out of a trial game this weekend...

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Numbers looking seriously concerning for quite a few clubs now.noticed Brothers have completely dropped out of a trial game this weekend.

We did.. although we have played a few trials last few weeks with OK numbers.

I was shocked we pulled out altogether... however as I understand it, the decision to pull out had more to do with the div 1 3rd party opposition that was arranged for us. Decision was taken it'd be better for our lower grades in particular to avoid being seriously mamed.

uziel malifa

Bob McCowan (2)
Irish can't put on a 3rd Grade.

Has the tipping point been reached?

was talking to a co-worker who plays for irish and he says they may play thirds looking forward to this but i hope they do because they are truly a blessing to play against those gentlemen

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Not long to the season start now!
Any news or results from trials on the weekend?

Hearing Hunters hill are looking very strong and Iggies are in for a big 100th year!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
was talking to a co-worker who plays for irish and he says they may play thirds looking forward to this but i hope they do because they are truly a blessing to play against those gentlemen

Can be a little firey :) but otherwise good craic.

Though I wasn't there due to illnes, the Renegades hosted a trial against Maccabi. The visitors running out 24-15 winners but good signs for us with another solid rollup.

For the first time, we had them back at our pub and by all reports they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. The Renegades don't skimp on hospitality.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Subbies have confirmed only 2 clubs will attempt 2 Grades this year - Convicts and Renegades.

There are now 13 clubs left for Divisions 5 & 6, and it looks like one of two options:

1) Big Division: 12-round comp playing each other once, then a split for finals = top 6, bottom 6, discard Team 13.

2) Small Division: North/South split, with 6 in one and 7 in the other. Play each other over 14 or 15 rounds and top 4 finals as usual.

Fuck.

The Burke

Stan Wickham (3)
Any chance of putting both into Div 4 with half the other clubs with 2 teams. Then 11 teams can play a big div together.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Any chance of putting both into Div 4 with half the other clubs with 2 teams. Then 11 teams can play a big div together.

10 club comp won't suit the season length of 14 rounds.

At least we can trust in Subbies to have a plan and show real leadership here.

60920367.jpg

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Subbies have confirmed only 2 clubs will attempt 2 Grades this year - Convicts and Renegades.

There are now 13 clubs left for Divisions 5 & 6, and it looks like one of two options:

1) Big Division: 12-round comp playing each other once, then a split for finals = top 6, bottom 6, discard Team 13.

2) Small Division: North/South split, with 6 in one and 7 in the other. Play each other over 14 or 15 rounds and top 4 finals as usual.

Fuck.

So we have;

South
1 Dukes
2 Maccabi
3 Burraneer
4 Cronulla
5 Engadine
6 Convicts

North
7 Manly
8 Renegades
9 Raptors
10 Chatswood
11 Lane Cove
12 Wakehurst
13 Dee Why

Unknowns
14 Dundas?
15 Collaroy?
16 Menai?
17 Kings

Dundas have always had a numbers issue (who hasn't?) but they trialed in the pacific unity cup...so who knows.
Collaroy I heard was on struggle street numbers wise again (and again, who really isn't in this area of Subbies...)
Menai juniors won't hold up their seniors anymore so I've heard.
Kings should be able to move out of Halligans by now?

Sound about right?

Honestly though I wouldn't mind seeing a "graded" comp if one of those "unknown" teams came up with players.

G1; Cronulla, Burraneer, Manly, Engadine, Maccabi, Lane Cove, (no idea who to add as #7 but since the Raptors seem to be mainly ex-Emus, I'll pick them...)
G2; Dukes, Convicts, Renegades, Chatswood, Dee Why, Wakehurst, *insert Dundas/Collaroy/Menai/Kings/Mosman 6ths/Colleagues 6ths*

Seems a lot better balanced going graded. Even if Mosman or Colleagues decide to throw their 6ths (6 senior grades, imagine that...) into the mix for the season.

On that note, considering Div 1 teams (and everyone in general) seems to be struggling to fill out their 5ths, why not join that comp with Div 5/6? Might be worth exploring? Food for thought...

The Burke

Stan Wickham (3)
Any word on how the Raptors are progressing? I believed they played a trial on the weekend against Merrylands and Mac Uni. Does anyone know the results? Any other trial results? Always interesting to hear how teams are coming along.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Any word on how the Raptors are progressing? I believed they played a trial on the weekend against Merrylands and Mac Uni. Does anyone know the results? Any other trial results? Always interesting to hear how teams are coming along.

Apparently good numbers and would push for 2 Grades - if that was an option. Reports are, with Pete Niumata as head coach, they've picked up a few Emus which is not unexpected.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So we have;

South
1 Dukes
2 Maccabi
3 Burraneer
4 Cronulla
5 Engadine
6 Convicts
Raptors

North
7 Manly
8 Renegades
9 Raptors
10 Chatswood
11 Lane Cove
12 Wakehurst
13 Dee Why

More like that. Yeah, seems weird that Raptors go into South, but one of us in "West Conference" ;) had to, and the Renegades have had their fair share of travel the last few years.

14 Dundas Valley - gave advice they were out some weeks back. Turned up at Pacific Unity because Blacktown needed a 4th team, but they were heavily supported by Blacktown in all likelihood; I know this because they made the same offer to us.

15 Collaroy - goneburger. Maybe for good. We have one of their guys who lives out our way and was former Terrey Hills. Hopefully we survive his curse ;)

16 Menai - pussyfooted around with Subbies too long. Wanted to start in Halligan and see how they go before joining Div 6. Think they ran out of money. Fuck knows they won't run out of trophies. Subbies had discussed with them the move to Division 4 with 2 Grades a couple of years back, given their success, and that probably scared them a little.

17 Kings OB - not committing past Halligan Cup so far. And why would they? Came 2nd last year, playing ?12? of the 14 rounds available and never had to line up a game more than 3 weeks out.

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
I was indeed joking about Subbies showing leadership. Seriously what do those guys actually do? Do they think their role is only to administer the competition, or maybe they should try to develop the game?

"No thought, just reaction" - Subbies

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
I was indeed joking about Subbies showing leadership. Seriously what do those guys actually do? Do they think their role is only to administer the competition, or maybe they should try to develop the game?

"No thought, just reaction" - Subbies

You're kidding right? Subbies have 1 full time staff member to administer 6 divisions. The clubs that have folded have done so on their own terms - it has nothing to do with Subbies administration.