• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This bloke pointed that out a year ago

"In my opinion, Rugby Australia would have been better to play a straight bat by saying Folau is entitled to express his opinion and let him be judged accordingly. End of story."

I think this is a bit simplified. I don't think Rugby Australia could ever cleanly separate themselves from Folau while he remains a very visible part of rugby in Australia and expect that any blowback is only going to be felt by Folau.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
"In my opinion, Rugby Australia would have been better to play a straight bat by saying Folau is entitled to express his opinion and let him be judged accordingly. End of story."

I think this is a bit simplified. I don't think Rugby Australia could ever cleanly separate themselves from Folau while he remains a very visible part of rugby in Australia and expect that any blowback is only going to be felt by Folau.

Peter FitzSimons through twitter has given a different take on the post by Israel;

From the moment he put that post up, his career in Australian rugby was over. And wouldn’t your career be over, too, if you tried the same thing? As someone else noted on Twitter, how many people across Australia, if they turned up for work at 9am on Monday with a T-shirt saying ALL GAYS ARE GOING TO HELL would get through to 9.05 am and still be in a job?

My office doesn't have a dress code persay, but I can't imagine I'd be allowed back to work if I rocked up wearing a similar shirt.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It is possible to express your religion or political views in a way that doesn't vilify others. That is the basic substance of RA's policy, and the law more broadly.

If Israel came out and advocated for superannuation reform, nobody would really care. If he called for an end to Muslim immigration then we'd have problems, as he'd have likely breached the inclusion policy.

Likewise when he just posts about God's love or the glory of Jesus or whatever, it's all good. He can post bible verses for days. But once he starts doing anything that can be perceived to be vilifying minority groups he is in trouble.

I'd suspect we'd have the same issue if he started quoting bible verses on women being subservient to men.

So really this isn't about banning all religious speech, or all political speech. It's just a small subsection of both which involve the vilification of minority groups.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby...l/news-story/718463003293b7df792183bac4bc7db1
Rugby Australia bungled its contract negotiations with Israel Folau by failing to insert social media restraints, according to a report.
The Daily Telegraph says Folau, who inked a $4 million four-year deal last year, refused to have the additional clauses retrospectively inserted into the contract.

The story continues and talks about RA's position and why they think they would win.

Would anyone be surprised if RA stuffed up?

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
His contract would still stipulate that he had to abide by RA’s guidelines, and that is what he is in breach of, again.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So, code of conduct hearing next week...........

His position has become untenable in Australian rugby, so regardless of which way the panel rules he’ll be gone, the difference being whether or not he receives a large payout.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby...l/news-story/718463003293b7df792183bac4bc7db1

The story continues and talks about RA's position and why they think they would win.

Would anyone be surprised if RA stuffed up?

Turinui confirmed on the latest rugby ruckus that the Collective Bargaining Agreement that all Australian Rugby Players are on the same contract which cannot be altered. Therefore no such clause could be inserted into Folau's latest contract.

Interesting that it appears the only news agencies running this social media clause comes from News Corp....

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
The standard contract inevitably has clauses around social media etc. Any confusion around amendments to folau's deal probably reflect verbal or other non-contractual assurances that were offered (which may or may not be binding).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Any remaining respect i had for Israel has evaporated. Wants to be the virtuous zealot proselytizing his religion but without accepting any of the consequences of his decision. How noble.

He has the same rights you do to be treated fairly under the law and to defend those rights by going to court and testing whether RA are acting lawfully in terminating his contract

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He has the same rights you do to be treated fairly under the law and to defend those rights by going to court and testing whether RA are acting lawfully in terminating his contract
So?

See his own comments above. I don't assert he is acting unlawfully or in some other inequitable way. I'm just saying that the only respect i had left for him was based on his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions (i.e. being fired) if RA thought that was the appropriate punishment.

He hasn't done that, therefore, i don't respect him.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
His position has become untenable in Australian rugby, so regardless of which way the panel rules he’ll be gone, the difference being whether or not he receives a large payout.

Why so?

Why can't he face a suspension from AU rugby.

Say 6 or 12 months. If he stops the social media crap he may be eligible in the future (I am thinking more under Giteau rule)

Leave the door open.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
OK so I'm going back to the sidelines and watch it play out till the next stage. This thread will just continue on with the same people airing their same point of view, none of which will affect what actually happens. People who think it will end with Folau just losing his job are naive.

Later.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So?

See his own comments above. I don't assert he is acting unlawfully or in some other inequitable way. I'm just saying that the only respect i had left for him was based on his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions (i.e. being fired) if RA thought that was the appropriate punishment.

He hasn't done that, therefore, i don't respect him.

and if the current consequences of his actions are unlawful?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
and if the current consequences of his actions are unlawful?
Again, i was making an assessment of his character not legal position (public character - i obviously don't know the bloke).

If his sacking was unlawful then RA crafted a shite contract.

Edit: please delete this if it's against the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.