• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why so?

Why can't he face a suspension from AU rugby.

Say 6 or 12 months. If he stops the social media crap he may be eligible in the future (I am thinking more under Giteau rule)

Leave the door open.

If the panel finds in favor of RA that he’s breached their code of conduct, then he’s goners.............

If they don’t RA will have little choice but to pay him out............. they won’t want him around, and it’s been made clear regardless that he no longer has a place in the test team.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I suppose the other option if Folau wins, is that he goes on to be the highest paid club rugby player since Quade........

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
RA's news section has a summary of what's next.

Now that Folau has requested a hearing, Rugby Australia and RUPA must agree on a three-person panel to hear the case and a date for the hearing.
The panel will be made up of a representative appointed by Rugby Australia , one appointed by RUPA and a third person, to be appointed by both parties.
It is unlikely the hearing will take place before ANZAC Day, with the upcoming Easter long weekend and then the ANZAC Day holiday in the next eight days.
Under the code of conduct, once the three panellists are appointed, the hearing will start within the next five business days, if practical.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
The fact that RA cannot terminate a player's contract without having to have it decided by an 'independent' panel is once again being shown up a farcical.

This situation should have been rectified after the Beale fiasco.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The fact that RA cannot terminate a player's contract without having to have it decided by an 'independent' panel is once again being shown up a farcical.

This situation should have been rectified after the Beale fiasco.

RUPA is very powerful as you'd expect. They represent the players as a group and have a huge say in what happens.

I don't know how that would ever be different.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pretty hard to quantify how much any back actually helps win a game, I always thought they just decided by how much, the piggies do the "winning" after about under 8s

Completely off topic, I reckon this concept is reducing in the modern game.

Backs are expected to do far more at the breakdown in both attack and defence than they used to, and forwards are required to do far more ball playing than they used to.

I think the traditional concept around winning the contact zone is still crucially important but it is far less just the domain of the forwards than it used to be.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
has the Code of Conduct been linked to yet?

Attachments

• RugbyAUCodeofConduct.pdf
    422.1 KB · Views: 165

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
has the Code of Conduct been linked to yet?

5 CODE OF CONDUCT – SPECTATORS/PARENTS

5.10 Use Social Media appropriately. By all means share your positive experiences of Rugby but do not use Social Media as a means to breach any of the above expectations and requirements of you as a Participant of Rugby.

Social Media means any form of online or interactive application or other form or medium that enables users to create, share and/or upload content, including SMS, MMS, email and such platforms as Facebook, WhatsApp, Myspace, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, blogs, podcasts, message boards and websites.

Hopefully no-one has told Rugby Aus about this website!

Reactions: gel

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Other than not re-signing him back in October (& imagine the howls of outrage on here if they hadn't) I really don't see how RA could've done more to avoid this situation. Hardly their fault Folau first launches into the gays having promised he wouldn't, then doesn't walk away from Rugby as he said he would if his position became untenable (which it clearly has IMO).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And when those consequences are so harsh and so disproportionate that no one else dares to express a similarly controversial view, then freedom of speech effectively doesn't exist.

I'm not going to tell anyone gay or straight how they should react to Folau's post. But just because someone takes offence - even a great deal of offence - that doesn't mean that the rest of society has to move heaven and earth to ensure that they will never be offended again, or that we're justified in victimising the offence-giver in turn.

As I said days ago, if we all just collectively shrugged our shoulders at Folau's post, offended people vowed never to cheer for him again and unfollowed him on Instagram, this would have all blown over days ago instead of becoming another huge crisis that Australian rugby just doesn't need.

And I do wonder how many people in the groups identified as being bound for hell actually follow or read any of Folau's postings. For all I know there could be all sorts of insulting and offensive posts about me on twitter, instagram, facebook et al, but as I don't subscribe to any of them I am unlikely to be offended by any of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.