• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You forgot Ralene saying she wanted to terminate his contract before speaking to him.

And the Waratahs standing him down from training before speaking to him.

And then a parade of players conducting what appear to be RA sanctioned interviews all giving their two bobs worth.

Very strange way to act when involved in contracts and legality.

“Before speaking to him”

He didn’t answer his phone for 2 days, he posted that infamous message then cold shouldered his employer when they tried to contact him over it.

I agree that it’s a very strange way to act

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Errr, as far as we know there have been no negotiations. Or have I missed something?

I do make the point again that all Izzy's posts are based on his own faith, which is a fairly narrow brand of evangelical Christianity.

More orthodox Christians might find his posts offensive. Not to mention Jews of all brands, Muslims, Quakers, and on and on. Let alone agnostics or atheists.

Izzy should not be promoting his personal views in the public space IMHO. He is offending a lot of people.
I think a lot of people could give a shit what he thinks or posts tbh.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
“Before speaking to him”

He didn’t answer his phone for 2 days, he posted that infamous message then cold shouldered his employer when they tried to contact him over it.

He didn't have an agent or manager they could have used to reach him? They couldn't go through his teammates? There was no one from RA in a position to approach him face-to-face if he was ducking their calls?

It would take RA's incompetence to a dizzying new level if they couldn't figure out how to contact their highest-profile player before publicly announcing they were going to sack him.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
He didn't have an agent or manager they could have used to reach him? They couldn't go through his teammates? There was no one from RA in a position to approach him face-to-face if he was ducking their calls?

It would take RA's incompetence to a dizzying new level if they couldn't figure out how to contact their highest-profile player before publicly announcing they were going to sack him.
T
his is well documented. They were in contact with his manager but he still wouldn't take his call.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
“Before speaking to him”

But you see, he's contractually bound to attend training so by banning him from training they removed the simplest way of being able to speak to him.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Once they announced that they would sack him, the smartest thing for him to is to choose not to speak to them. He seems better advised than they were.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes and in that time RA tried to contact folaudirectly and through his manager and he refused to talk to them.

We'll see how it pans out. I've refrained from being too critical of RA as I think that they were/are in a tricky situation. I just think they could have been more prudent in how they dealt with things.

Possibly it would have been wiser to allow him to attend Waratahs training and use that occasion to speak with him? And then issue a code of conduct breach, without first announcing an intention to terminate?

Noting that (a) he is contractually obliged to attend training, so banning him from training makes no sense - assuming that they wanted to speak with him and (b) once a person is placed in a postion where they've been told that they are going to be terminated, they have no incentive to speak or co-operate or negotiate any outcome - their only choice is either to take a $3-4 million loss or take the matter to a legal hearing.

S

sidelineview

Errr, as far as we know there have been no negotiations. Or have I missed something?

I do make the point again that all Izzy's posts are based on his own faith, which is a fairly narrow brand of evangelical Christianity.

More orthodox Christians might find his posts offensive. Not to mention Jews of all brands, Muslims, Quakers, and on and on. Let alone agnostics or atheists.

Izzy should not be promoting his personal views in the public space IMHO. He is offending a lot of people.

Other Christian's wouldn't necessarily be offended by Folau's post especially with the accompanying text referring to Biblical verses, they just may take a different approach. The harsh fire and brimstone approach isn't everyone's cup of tea in trying to reach people.

The Jewish faith is basically against homosexuality through their teachings, although Israel is apparently tolerant of the LGBT community.

Islam in general is not tolerant. It's not uncommon for homosexuals to be treated harshly including being given the death penalty in Islamic countries where religion and state are not separated.

I can only imagine the pressure Qantas put on RA when this issue first hit the headlines.

EDIT: I should have typed homosexual acts instead of homosexuals.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
You have to see the irony. So many players we could all mention have managed to wriggle out of consequences or pay fines and time to get back in the good books, players who have brought their own name into disrepute if not the game, but a player who everyone agrees has been a glowing and honourable representative of the sport on field and in his sporting conduct off it, stands condemned for preaching a religious belief. The NRL's chairman even said he wasn't of good enough reputation to be allowed into League when League has had an unending roll call of disgrace.

Even more ironic, his views are shared by millions if not billions around the world, many of them by people of a different faith. I can't help wondering how many people calling for Israel Folau's dismissal are also people who are quick to accuse others of religious phobias and intolerance. I fear some of us are not terribly good at tolerating views other than our own.

It wasn't that long ago our country cruelly punished homosexuality, but with time and a willingness to tolerate things we don't agree with, we came to better views.

That's the thing about tolerance, it isn't really tolerance if you agree with it.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
You heard it here folks, just because large swaths of the Middle East want to stone all gays to death means that we should tolerate bigotry within society on the other side of the world.

S

sidelineview

You heard it here folks, just because large swaths of the Middle East want to stone all gays to death means that we should tolerate bigotry within society on the other side of the world.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to count our blessings.

It's not about any of the that anyway.
It's about the corporate dollar.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Some might see what Izzy said as bigotry. I do, and I reckon that I am not in a minority. Bigotry comes in a lot of different guises. Just because you might be comfortable with what he said does not mean that he is entitled to say it.

This is a secular society. Long may it remain so.

S

sidelineview

Some might see what Izzy said as bigotry. I do, and I reckon that I am not in a minority. Bigotry comes in a lot of different guises. Just because you might be comfortable with what he said does not mean that he is entitled to say it.

This is a secular society. Long may it remain so.

I'm not too sure if many people are comfortable about what he said or the way he said it, but opinion about whether he was entitled to post it is divided.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
It wouldn't be a bad idea to count our blessings.

It's not about any of the that anyway.
It's about the corporate dollar.

Ah the corporate dollar goes hand in hand with corporate double standards.

Brunei brings in the death penalty for gay sex and there are calls for boycotting the hotels owned by their state owned investment fund.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...boycott-of-brunei-owned-hotels-george-clooney

This includes the up market Dorchester Hotel in London.

Guess what you can book on the Qantas website

https://www.qantas.com/hotels/properties/169586-the-dorchester-hotel

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Islam in general is not tolerant. It's not uncommon for homosexuals to be treated harshly including being given the death penalty in Islamic countries where religion and state are not separated.

I can only imagine the pressure Qantas put on RA when this issue first hit the headlines.

EDIT: I should have typed homosexual acts instead of homosexuals.

This shows how ridiculous the whole conversation has got, it now got to where it has turned ti Islam FFS and that has absolutely nothing to do with Izzy and RA, and then this post is finished with the sentence "I can only imagine the pressure Qantas put on RA etc" . So we now put our imaginings on a post to bolster arguments?? We really are stretching the whole argument now aren't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.