• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
We could use him, although Faulkner has been decent this year. Actually the scrum has been better than expected, Ainsley still isn’t to standard tho and clearly has been usurped by big Sam.

B

Bobby Sands

We could use him, although Faulkner has been decent this year. Actually the scrum has been better than expected, Ainsley still isn’t to standard tho and clearly has been usurped by big Sam.

I always really rated Sam Talakai at the Reds. He is very different to most Oz props, in that he is set-piece first, and I even think he could have value at the Wallabies at some point.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I forgot to point out that Colby Fainga'a won Connacht’s players player of the year award. He’d be a great complementary player to our pack this year

Tex

John Thornett (49)
What's going on with the form at the moment?

Mid season lull after a punishing schedule? Opposition figured us out?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think it’s more just bad play.

On saying that it doesn’t help having the bye in week 1, then touring SA and not getting the week off after it like most teams do.

We are still in a very strong position with 4 home games and a trip to Japan to come. Realistically only need to win 3 of those matches to make the finals.

I suspect we will rest a lot of players in the Crusaders away match.

The stormers game is the only one I think we really lost the plot, should be winning that match. Waratahs game was disappointing but at the start of the season a bonus point away to them wouldn’t be the worst result.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Also a story in Herald Sun that Jordan Uelese is hopeful of playing against the Hurricanes
Yeh he’s been there abouts for a month now, it’s been a strange one but the club to their credit has been playing on the side of caution.

I’m hearing that Robbie Abel is looking like signing with the Blues for next season.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Herald Sun reporting that Trevor Hosea has re-signed with the Rebels until end of 2021.
Good news, I keep thinking he should be pushing for a bench spot by now but then remind myself he’s a lot younger than I think.

Another genuine Vic talent, the team is starting to push through some of its own talent which can only be a good thing for all the Aus sides

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
From Panda RugbyCon:

Nick Stiles is set to return to Super Rugby.

The former Queensland head coach is now plying his trade in Japan, however we hear he will become assistant to Dave Wessels at the Melbourne Rebels next year.

Talk is that Geoff Parling is set to depart the club and Stiles, who consulted with the Rebels last year on scrums, will take over as forwards coach.

Stiles had an unsuccessful stint as Reds head coach in 2016 and was replaced by Brad Thorn.

Good to see Stiles back in coaching ranks in Australia. Always thought Parling would only be a one year poroposition, using the coaching time in Aus for a springboard into a coaching role back in England.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
A positive result for Leicester this weekend could see To'omua arrive in Melb earlier than expected.

I haven't been following NH at all, but I presume this means they're not in finals contention, rather relegation risk. So, a positive result = avoiding relegation = can release good players?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Apparently he had asked for an early release a few weeks ago. Was rejected because they were in relegation problem. But a win over the weekend will make it mathematically impossible for them to be released.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Sa'aga was in hospital this morning for something, not sure what. Don't think we'll see him back this season.

Uelese potentially returning next week.

DHP & Cottrell must both be back soon too.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Apparently he had asked for an early release a few weeks ago. Was rejected because they were in relegation problem. But a win over the weekend will make it mathematically impossible for them to be released.

He should see out his contract - happy to sign it at the time and take the money so he should stick with it and perform for his team until the end.

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
Well the Rebels didn't play this weekend. But it was still a good weekend for the Rebels, with the Waratahs and Brumbies both losing (with only the Brumbies getting a bonus point). So the Rebels are still four points clear in the Australian conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.