• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

B

Bobby Sands

Just rest them once we are out of playoffs contention. Our backs are the walking wounded right now so theres a fair excuse not to rest him.

As if anyone at the ARU wants to see him rested while he is in this sort of form.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Kerevi just had the 2nd half of 2018 off with a season ending injury.

One could argue he doesn’t need less rugby but more rugby. I am certainly not making that argument cause he definitely hit the ground running and picked up his spectacular form he had going on in 2018.

Resting players during World Cup year.. is it injury prevention or is it managing workload for the 3 seasons previous from the last World Cup?

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Kerevi just had the 2nd half of 2018 off with a season ending injury.

One could argue he doesn’t need less rugby but more rugby. I am certainly not making that argument cause he definitely hit the ground running and picked up his spectacular form he had going on in 2018.

Resting players during World Cup year.. is it injury prevention or is it managing workload for the 3 seasons previous from the last World Cup?

Its all managed workload. RA sees NZR doing it and think its a great idea seeing as they're fairly successful. Unfortunately we dont have the depth NZ has.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

If I've heard it correctly from Chieka on the G&GR podcast, it's more that, if a player doesn't have to prepare for a game, they can 'overload' their physical work i.e. they can cram in extra fitness and strength sessions as they're not worried about being fresh or travelling for a game.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
I think Ignoto / Cheika is making a really good point

Does everyone remember 2017 when in our first game against Italy our blokes just looked like they just weren't all there

How good is it to see someone in just shit hot form!

Kerevi's physicality and lines are fantastic, but I think what's even better is his decision making. He could easily just run around trying to offload any pill when he gets into a tackle because he's so strong- but he waits until people have half fallen off the tackle, he won't try and do it if the contact is too tight. This is the mark of a great, considered player

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Ignoto / Cheika is making a really good point

Does everyone remember 2017 when in our first game against Italy our blokes just looked like they just weren't all there

How good is it to see someone in just shit hot form!

Kerevi's physicality and lines are fantastic, but I think what's even better is his decision making. He could easily just run around trying to offload any pill when he gets into a tackle because he's so strong- but he waits until people have half fallen off the tackle, he won't try and do it if the contact is too tight. This is the mark of a great, considered player

One of Bob Dywers' cornerstones when it comes to off-loading. Do it before or after the tackle, not in it.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Credit to the rest of the Reds' backs as well who have become quite good at running off Kerevi as well. In the last couple of games breaks from Kerevi around the 10m line have been converted into simple tries under the sticks because players are following him into contact. I hope this continues at Wallaby level, the past few seasons we've not always converted our line-breaks into tries.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Bit early (will put this in the 2020 thread when it gets posted) but with all the talk about Kerevi and CFS's form, if we can keep Samu we are actually gonna have a top-notch XV next year:

1. Fotuaika
2. BPA
3. Thor
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
7. Wright
8. Higgers
9. Tuttle
10. Hegarty
11. CFS
12. Kerevi
13. Petaia
14. Daugunu
15. Stewart

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Bit early (will put this in the 2020 thread when it gets posted) but with all the talk about Kerevi and CFS's form, if we can keep Samu we are actually gonna have a top-notch XV next year:

1. Fotuaika
2. BPA
3. Thor
4. Rodda
7. Wright
8. Higgers
9. Tuttle
10. Hegarty
11. CFS
12. Kerevi
13. Petaia
14. Daugunu
15. Stewart

Is Tate leaving the club in your prediction? Higgers has agreed to leave.

Jeff Thompson69

Stan Wickham (3)

1. Fotuaika
2. BPA
3. Thor
4. Rodda
7. Wright
8. Higgers
9. Tuttle
10. Hegarty
11. CFS
12. Kerevi
13. Petaia
14. Daugunu
15. Stewart

if the reds could recruit sunwolves number 8 rahboni warren vosayaco, Hayden Parker and meakes they'll have a very good side next year

B

Bobby Sands

Loose forwards are surely not on the priority hit list.

Don't disagree about Quirk, though.

Fair, but after we lose Timu and Higgers we don't have many hardened backrowers. Quirk is a seasoned pro these days.

Would love to get Butler, Wilkin and Cottrell home too.

Reactions: dru