• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2019 SYDNEY COLTS RUGBY

GentleGiant

Allen Oxlade (6)
Do colts coaches feel pressure due to poor performances ...hmmmmm there is some trouble brewing I’d assume

Im still waiting for the 'big things coming from parra colts' to actually happen. although i was also expecting a lot more from eastwood colts.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'm still waiting for the 'big things coming from parra colts' to actually happen. although i was also expecting a lot more from eastwood colts.

GG really - they have played Marlins and Uni 2 of the strongest colts teams. Look at Marlins V Eastwood on the weekend and that was without M Douglas because he was playing grade.

GentleGiant

Allen Oxlade (6)
GG really - they have played Marlins and Uni 2 of the strongest colts teams. Look at Marlins V Eastwood on the weekend and that was without M Douglas because he was playing grade.

Yes i do undertand that, but i dont think they are going to have any easier teams also. the quality of every club at colts level seems to be exceptionally high, and thats great.

i expected more from eastwood too.

bignoofa

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes i do undertand that, but i dont think they are going to have any easier teams also. the quality of every club at colts level seems to be exceptionally high, and thats great.

i expected more from eastwood too.
Yes Eastwood very disappointing new coach new structures or perhaps no structure must be a settling stage well let’s hope so .

Parra vast improvement from r1 watched some of the marlins woods game and I must have walked In at the best 15 min of woods year to date because looked great for a period prior to halftime and probably last 10min of game was surprised by score .

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yes Eastwood very disappointing new coach new structures or perhaps no structure must be a settling stage well let’s hope so .

Parra vast improvement from r1 watched some of the marlins woods game and I must have walked In at the best 15 min of woods year to date because looked great for a period prior to halftime and probably last 10min of game was surprised by score .
And 2020 for Eastwood could also be a struggle as the age group representative team that will graduate to Colts next year has been quite weak. Also concerns for Randwick who were not able to even field a State Championship team in the same age group for most years.
The stronger teams come from north of the harbour, with Manly, Warringah, but most significantly, Gordon, bringing some major talent into Colts next year.
The Gordon team reached the State Championship final from 2011 to 2016, then dispersed as the boys focused on the last two years of school rugby.
Unless the Unis and Randwick get hold of some of them, the Gordon depth is only likely to strengthen over the next few years.
Then eventually, hopefully, that will spread through to grade.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Given results to date, could be a very long season for the Parra Colts Program. Uncontested scrums across all Colts Grades against Manly and Gordon. Assume same issue happened against Sydney Uni? Just assuming.....

Getting belted each week cant be good for recruitment and retention. Assume a number of players are already backing up across multiple grades.

My fear is keeping these guys in the game.

Not good for the game and Rugby in the West. Colts Rugby looking sick (not in a good way) across Sydney

GentleGiant

Allen Oxlade (6)
Given results to date, could be a very long season for the Parra Colts Program. Uncontested scrums across all Colts Grades against Manly and Gordon. Assume same issue happened against Sydney Uni? Just assuming...

Getting belted each week cant be good for recruitment and retention. Assume a number of players are already backing up across multiple grades.

Not good for the game and Rugby in the West. Colts Rugby looking sick (not in a good way) across Sydney

Ive said it a couple of times. they will struggle massively. even more than they already are. they made so many changes in their staffing ranks in the off-season, (in grades and colts), that for some reason they didnt think that players can sometimes be loyal to the staff, instead of the badge. they shafted their colts head coach who did a lot for them over last 5 years, and when he ended up going to wests - majority of the good players they had left all reached out to him to go over. same with grade - all their best left and went to teams where their coaches moved to.

cellar dwllers in colts and grade already after 3 rounds with zero wins from 21 matches across all grades.

PURERUGBY

Frank Row (1)
Given results to date, could be a very long season for the Parra Colts Program. Uncontested scrums across all Colts Grades against Manly and Gordon. Assume same issue happened against Sydney Uni? Just assuming...

The Two Blues Colts are extremely young 16/17 in many cases, were 12-5 at half time v Uni I believe and same v Gordon before an injury resulted in uncontested scrums meaning down to 14 players then yellow card down to 13. Hard to compete with 13 v 15. Centre for Gordon was a Two Blue last 2 years and this weekend around 5 first grade colts are now at West Harbour where various incentives have been used to lure players across. If the Two Blues boys stick together over next 12-24 months they will be very strong and if boys stayed to water the grass in their own backyard over looking for greener grass elsewhere they’d be strong now.

GentleGiant

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Two Blues Colts are extremely young 16/17 in many cases, were 12-5 at half time v Uni I believe and same v Gordon before an injury resulted in uncontested scrums meaning down to 14 players then yellow card down to 13. Hard to compete with 13 v 15. Centre for Gordon was a Two Blue last 2 years and this weekend around 5 first grade colts are now at West Harbour where various incentives have been used to lure players across. If the Two Blues boys stick together over next 12-24 months they will be very strong and if boys stayed to water the grass in their own backyard over looking for greener grass elsewhere they’d be strong now.

just an fyi - if injury during game and go uncontested, you stay at 15 players. you only lose 1 player if you start the game uncontested

ive heard for few years people moaning at parra about them losing players and about the grass being greener on the other side, and what i can see - in parra's case - the players who have left have majority gone on to do well in those other clubs so im guessing it has been greener (last 10 years)

end of the day, you can 'water your grass' as much as you want but if the soil is rotten and cheap quality, it still wont grow.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
you can 'water your grass' as much as you want but if the soil is rotten and cheap quality, it still wont grow.

Ouch! That's tough.

All I can say is its really disappointing to see the lack of numbers in Parra's Colts program for whatever reason.

Fairly obvious that they dont have the player numbers which at round 3 is alarming. If players continue to back up in multiple grades they will either get injured or will lose interest. Especially being on the wrong end of Cricket scores.

Given they are moving to brand new facilities next year, I hope the Parra Board have a good look at their program for Colts and Grade so that players have a genuine development pathway rather than seeing the only opportunities being elsewhere.

PURERUGBY

Frank Row (1)
Ouch! That's tough.

All I can say is its really disappointing to see the lack of numbers in Parra's Colts program for whatever reason.

Fairly obvious that they dont have the player numbers which at round 3 is alarming. If players continue to back up in multiple grades they will either get injured or will lose interest. Especially being on the wrong end of Cricket scores.

Given they are moving to brand new facilities next year, I hope the Parra Board have a good look at their program for Colts and Grade so that players have a genuine development pathway rather than seeing the only opportunities being elsewhere.

By all accounts they do have numbers went from 2 grades in 2018 to three in 2019 but playing group are 16/17 years old results held Uni and Gordon to 12-5 at half time but couldn’t go on with it.

PURERUGBY

Frank Row (1)
just an fyi - if injury during game and go uncontested, you stay at 15 players. you only lose 1 player if you start the game uncontested

ive heard for few years people moaning at parra about them losing players and about the grass being greener on the other side, and what i can see - in parra's case - the players who have left have majority gone on to do well in those other clubs so im guessing it has been greener (last 10 years)

end of the day, you can 'water your grass' as much as you want but if the soil is rotten and cheap quality, it still wont grow.

Wow that’s harsh

bignoofa

Allen Oxlade (6)

For someone who talks like a expert you are really a novice ...it’s true in fact that if you go to uncontested during the game in both 1st or 2nds colts you must drop to 14 . This is not the same in 3rds in there situation it stays 15 v 15

GentleGiant

Allen Oxlade (6)
For someone who talks like a expert you are really a novice .it’s true in fact that if you go to uncontested during the game in both 1st or 2nds colts you must drop to 14 . This is not the same in 3rds in there situation it stays 15 v 15

Sorry you are correct 17.2 does state one man down.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Why?

That’s like saying it would be great for Easts if Gordon folded.
Same travel time.

Maybe you need to do some more research on Google Maps and have a look at which club (s) is/are closest to Penrith. 40 - 50 minutes to Parramatta/Concord. An hour to the rest.

They should be in an ideal position if a kid plays rugby union and is a competitive player that they should be able to sell convenience if they have a decent program.

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Maybe you need to do some more research on Google Maps and have a look at which club (s) is/are closest to Penrith. 40 - 50 minutes to Parramatta/Concord. An hour to the rest.

They should be in an ideal position if a kid plays rugby union and is a competitive player that they should be able to sell convenience if they have a decent program.
The issue for Penrith based players to join any other club is the cost in Tolls and petrol which over a month of 2 training sessions per week and the weekends game will be a few dollars that they maybe dont have.
AR liked to say participation numbers are increasing but in fact in mens rugby they are dropping and with juniors struggling and falling over the flow on is now hitting colts and hard
At Souths we lost over 30 players due to age and had only 1 front rower at the beginning of the season and we have tried everything possibles to find props and hookers
To have 3 teams you need 8 props and 4 hookers, if you like a challenge try finding this many at U/20 age and with less juniors the well is even drier.
All club go through there tough seasons it mainly due to the cycle you are in.
Just because Penrith have folded doesnt mean there is a glut of players looking for a game
Penrith only had about 25? Colts and costs of travelling and having access to a car will stop players going to other clubs

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

That’s my point.
If you think 40-50 mins is convenience, then there’s not much else to say.....

There’s plenty of things for young blokes to do,that require little effort,no travelling costs,that are local to them.
Rugby is not the centre of everyone’s universe.