• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well at least we know cron should get some coaching development under Hansen so if he plans to spend 2 years under Hansen and then return to the tahs I would be ok with that. If being operative word given yes lived in nsw for 13 years but is a kiwi

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
So giant young lock Nick Frost is heading back to Australia and is going to the Brumbies not the Tahs.

Miller is apparently also going to the Brumbies

Kepu is apparently going to London Irish

Curious who the Tahs get

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Agree, like in any work place if people want to leave there is only so much an organisation can do to keep them.

I am actually quite disappointed that he is leaving the Tahs (If the rumour is true) but on the other hand how good are our forwards at the moment? I might alone here but there is very little evidence that we are making progress up front, yes last year we made the semis but it was mainly due to our backs, I cannot fault the efforts of any player but realistically we are way behind the eight ball compared to other Aus sides. We seem to have the same type of player in every single position, zero variety.

I was at the game last Saturday and the Sharks had a picnic against our forwards, not as single player was able to bend the line, at least from where I was sitting. I am not going to point fingers here but we have idea when it comes to recruitment, we seem to rely on SS players yet every other Aus team gets it right when it comes to recruitment, what I would give for another Palu!

Maybe we need a complete overhaul, backs and forwards

Anyway I'll be up on watching the Tahs again this weekend, hope they prove me wrong

Cron has worked well with the rubbish Gibson belief that the light and mobile pack will work against Super rugby sides. Gibson won't change his mind set and Cron tries to make the impossible and stupid plan work.

Cron is a massive loss and I fear unless the forward mindset is changed than the next forwards coach will also work with a beaten pack

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Cron has worked well with the rubbish Gibson belief that the light and mobile pack will work against Super rugby sides. Gibson won't change his mind set and Cron tries to make the impossible and stupid plan work.

Cron is a massive loss and I fear unless the forward mindset is changed than the next forwards coach will also work with a beaten pack
This seems to be common knowledge, but has Gibbo actually said that?

I find it odd if so, because his previous success under Cheika came with a big aggressive pack.

If not, then he's probably just working with what he can get.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
So giant young lock Nick Frost is heading back to Australia and is going to the Brumbies not the Tahs.

Miller is apparently also going to the Brumbies

Kepu is apparently going to London Irish

Curious who the Tahs get

Why would tahs want Frost? This is where Australian Rugby gets it so wrong. Give him a year or 2 in Shute Shield against classy, tough opposition and see how he performs after that... as against running around a training paddock watching his reputation grow through a manager tugging at shirt tails...

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
This seems to be common knowledge, but has Gibbo actually said that?

I find it odd if so, because his previous success under Cheika came with a big aggressive pack.

If not, then he's probably just working with what he can get.

Yes Gibson has said it. He has been there for years and still has not changed this belief

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Why would tahs want Frost? This is where Australian Rugby gets it so wrong. Give him a year or 2 in Shute Shield against classy, tough opposition and see how he performs after that. as against running around a training paddock watching his reputation grow through a manager tugging at shirt tails.

Yes why would the Tahs want on their books a giant talented lock?? The Brumbies do.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why would tahs want Frost? This is where Australian Rugby gets it so wrong. Give him a year or 2 in Shute Shield against classy, tough opposition and see how he performs after that. as against running around a training paddock watching his reputation grow through a manager tugging at shirt tails.

Part of your squad are for the future. It gives you the opportunity to have them training full time and playing at the best level you can offer them (which might be Shute Shield at the start).

Outside the matchday 23 all the squad are playing Shute Shield each week. Being a contracted player doesn't prevent that.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yes why would the Tahs want on their books a giant talented lock?? The Brumbies do.

"Talented" is the key here. Locks need to do a lot more than catch a kick off, simple things like tackle, clean out, scrummaging ....i am sure there is a lot of talented locks in the city and country who have those skills

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Part of your squad are for the future. It gives you the opportunity to have them training full time and playing at the best level you can offer them (which might be Shute Shield at the start).

Outside the matchday 23 all the squad are playing Shute Shield each week. Being a contracted player doesn't prevent that.

As an Easts supporter do you think it has helped Ryan Macaulays development? He hasnt had a lot of game time either way, very talented young man

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
As an Easts supporter do you think it has helped Ryan Macaulays development? He hasnt had a lot of game time either way, very talented young man

McCauley is too skinny and too light. Needs to fill in his frame. He looks lost. Can't penetrate the line, has little go forward.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Yes. I think he has improved substantially in the last two years.

I don't know whether he will ever be a test player or how much worse his development would be if he didn't have a professional contract.

The reality is he plays most weeks for Easts because he generally isn't in the matchday 23 for the Waratahs because of where he sits in the overall depth.

I guess the proposition you are making is that the Tahs should instead sign an older player from club rugby who might be better right now but would still sit at the same position on the Tahs depth chart and rarely play Super Rugby with the knowledge that they're no chance of developing into a much better player.

It would be an entirely different position if McCauley's place in the squad was as an expected starter. You would then want the best player you can sign even if they have a limited future.

E.g. the Tahs had Dave McDuling on contract when he was needed in the matchday 23 each week. He totally made sense in that situation. If he'd been on the outer of the squad and rarely in the frame for selection then it would have made zero sense having him in the squad.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I guess the proposition you are making is that the Tahs should instead sign an older player from club rugby who might be better right now but would still sit at the same position on the Tahs depth chart and rarely play Super Rugby with the knowledge that they're no chance of developing into a much better player.

Also worth noting these squad spots tend to pay peanuts and many older SS players are reluctant to give up their day jobs to hold tackle bags on 70k.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Waratahs will need to sign a forwards coach pretty damn quickly.

RA were a big help with the Reds getting Peter Ryan and Jim McKay.

Hopefully they can assist in getting a quality forwards coach for the Tahs. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.