• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2019

uziel malifa

Bob McCowan (2)
I think the problem was that golden period we had meant pretty much zero juniors carried on to seniors, all those guys that wanted to keep playing footy were all really high level players

There’s more oatley juniors playing semi-professional/professional footy than there is playing park footy

tell me about it theres old juniors from oatley playing in the shute shied then there is playing with us its scary i have been going through the lists of each division and found a number of them that played for us now play for them. its crazy

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
From memory, if you forfeit a higher grade, all lower grades are forfeit. That's what it used to be. Have things changed. I know the thinking was to avoid stacking lower grades to guarantee wins and avoid getting smashed but the flip side was safety. Has this been looked at?

This is a good point. I am a big believer in that if you forfeit, it needs to be the lowest grade, just on principle. However, it is something that has been debated at our club a bit and I can see the other side of the debate. We essentially have 2 senior teams, 1 1st grade side that will compete, as we showed on the weekend with a game we really should have won against Iggies, and another senior team that is in reality a 3rd grade side. However, unfortunately, those guys will play 2nd grade all year and get absolutely shitmixed. Doesn't help our already fucked club.

If these blokes could play 3rds and compete, they might stay at the club and more importantly, stay in the sport next year. However, that looks unlikely.

Before everyone comes back and says we shouldn't be in div 3 if we don't have the teams, you are preaching to the choir. This was the year we needed to go down to avoid a KOB's like catastrophe.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And it is going to continue to be a problem with the current structure. Particularly with clubs who can only get 1 or 2 Grades out.

This weekend we reckon we've got the numbers for the visiting Covies to put 2 Grades out. One will be a lot more social than the other, but we need to keep pushing this in order to ensure guys don't miss out when the situation is 27 guys for a single grade. Hopefully we can make this more regular, as well as filling our bye weeks with Halligan Cup games.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Newport vs Blacktown.

A massive crowd was on hand day at Porters with 4 tough games played in tremendous but willing spirit. Blacktown are enormous throughout the grades and their back lines in each grade are sharp, quick and skilful. Im not joking, their 3rd pack must weigh in over a ton. Huge men!

In first grade Newport were down 17-0 after 15 mins but came back to go into the break down 24-14. An early try to the Breakers in the 2nd half was nullified by 2 Blacktown penalties. Two tries in the last 10 minutes with the last on the bell sent the crowd into meltdown.

Full credit to the Blacktown players and officials whom were first class all day. Wild sciences in the clubhouse as the two groups came together arm in arm in celebration for the boat race and goes to show just how good subbies rugby can be.

Bye Last count over 100 cases were consumed and the BBQ cleaned out of over 500 steaks, snags and rissoles.

if only some of the muppets from the ARU were there to see grassroots rugby at its best

One of the great destinations in Subbies rugby. The only thing better than the scenic location is the constant feedback from the crowd. Not for the thin skinned but in good spirits and washed down with a few beverages and all left on the field.

Rumour Ronald

Herbert Moran (7)
One of the great destinations in Subbies rugby. The only thing better than the scenic location is the constant feedback from the crowd. Not for the thin skinned but in good spirits and washed down with a few beverages and all left on the field.

Seems to be on it's way out the game. The sideline "encouragement" is still there, but the thick skin to absorb it seems to have started to thin. Once the whistle blows, it should all be done and dusted, other discussions held over tinnies and mutual "hatred" of other clubs duscussed.
But alas, it fear it's slowly going the way of the dodo, along with after match speeches and sadly in this wide brown land, rugby in general...

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
Anyone seen Blue Mountains play this year? Shammies up against them this week looks to be an interesting match. BM have won two from two including a flogging of Balmain. That's unusual for a newly promoted side to start so impressively.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Heavy B's Div 3 Tips

Newport v Brothers - Match of the Century. Ladies and gentlemen - winter has come.. and Just as Jon Snow rides his armies south to face his foes, we ride North to Porters on Saturday to rightfully claim our crown as Kings of the North. Many key questions to be answered in this one.... If HeavyD is defeated, do the rest of the Porters army fall? Do Newport fans really shag their sisters in the bath? All will be revealed in what will be a history making afternoon on the ass end of the Northern beaches. We may win, we may lose... however, I am comforted by the knowledge that I shall return home to the love of a good woman who isn't a blood relative. Brothers - for the sake of all that is holy. #zumbazumbazey

The also ran games:

Iggies v Blacktown - As much as I dislike them as blokes, and in particular the way their 2nd grade sing their song facing the field at kick off, which ironically does nothing more than fire you up right at kickoff as an opposition player, I have grown to respect Iggies as opponents. They're always a well-disciplined, well-drilled, cohesive unit on the field. We've had a few games over the last 2-3 years that have just been absolute dogfights and have been very memorable and enjoyable to be a part of. Will they win this week? Absolutely not. Blacktown smash. Blacktown by 15

Valley v Redfield - Based on form, the pre #pinacoladaparty Redfield will win this by an absolute street. Redfield by 50+

HAC v Beecroft - HAC will be hurting badly after being uncharacteristically thumped by Redfield. However, having a look through Fusesport, there were a few familiar faces missing... I suspect they'll be back this weekend, along with the lovely ladies trying their absolutely best to get a human pyramid/centipede going for ladies day. #we'retheHACteam. HAC by 12

Rumour Ronald

Herbert Moran (7)
Happy Days, it's Rumour Ron Howard back for your entertainment and for a sniff of Mrs C's perfume to gird your loins for the weekend.

Div1 - Harder to pick than a broken nose this week but here's hoping to be 12 from 12 at the end of the round. Colleagues, Whales, Waves and Shammies

Div2 - Lindfield, Hills to take Hunters to 0-3, Pats firming as premiership favourites and Epping (I do miss all the shit chat on here about Epping from a few years back. Always made for good reading and far more exciting than fences and amateurism.

Div3 - must be the least exciting comp in subbies. Blacktown, Newport, Redfield and Ag. Thank god for heavyb's attempted banter with heavyd

Div4 - Maccies, Berries, Merries and Paddies

Div5 - Lice, Convicts and Burra all by heaps

Div6 - Covies, Wakehurst and Savers all comfortably

Looking forward to the taste of my humble pie after last week's gloating.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div 1
KNOBS vs Colleagues - Battle for the spoon. KNOBS just.
Mosman vs DRUMMOYNE - Dirty reds in the match of the round.
Balmain vs WAVES - The muzzled wolves to remain muzzled.
PETERSHAM vs MOUNTAINs - The first draw of the season in this high quality affair.

DIV 2
LINDFIELD vs Unsw - OLD Soldier on a roll.
HH vs HILLS - HIlls to add to HH early season woes.
ST PATS vs Forest - DIV 2 MOTR. PATs in a close one over the hillbillies.
BOBS vs Epping - BOBS to bounce back after last start trouncing.

DIV 3
NEWPORT vs Brothers - The last few seasons has seen Brothers embarrassed 70-0 in the 1st few rounds before the reinforcements get bused in around round 4 or 5. This year it appears the cheques have cleared early with Brothers competitive in Rd 2. Will be tight but fancy Newport...just.
Iggies vs BLACKTOWN - Will be tight but expect Blacktown to prevail in the end.
HV vs ROBS - ROBS by 20+
HAC vs Beecroft - HAC to bounce back by 25+

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Div 1
KNOBS vs Colleagues - Battle for the spoon. KNOBS just.
Mosman vs DRUMMOYNE - Dirty reds in the match of the round.
Balmain vs WAVES - The muzzled wolves to remain muzzled.
PETERSHAM vs MOUNTAINs - The first draw of the season in this high quality affair.

DIV 2
LINDFIELD vs Unsw - OLD Soldier on a roll.
HH vs HILLS - HIlls to add to HH early season woes.
ST PATS vs Forest - DIV 2 MOTR. PATs in a close one over the hillbillies.
BOBS vs Epping - BOBS to bounce back after last start trouncing.

DIV 3
NEWPORT vs Brothers - The last few seasons has seen Brothers embarrassed 70-0 in the 1st few rounds before the reinforcements get bused in around round 4 or 5. This year it appears the cheques have cleared early with Brothers competitive in Rd 2. Will be tight but fancy Newport.just.
Iggies vs BLACKTOWN - Will be tight but expect Blacktown to prevail in the end.
HV vs ROBS - ROBS by 20+
HAC vs Beecroft - HAC to bounce back by 25+

Yeah mate, we're all on heaps. Beers on me afterwards... absolute muppet. No idea.

Last year round 1 was a 36-17 loss to the eventual runners up BOBs..... we actually won 2 of our first 4?

Have a look at fusesport. Tell me who you think is getting paid.. We could easily go and buy a first grade side but we don't.

In fact, on the contrary, we have lost players because we refused to pay them when they are getting paid elsewhere.

Move on - we aren't doing well as a club, we will be lucky not to fold at the end of the year mate...

loads of clubs used to pay blokes, including your own. If you don't think Newport did then you are simply not in the loop champ. There is no way known a fully amateur side competes and draws a Barraclough grand final against a team stacked with ex Shute Shield players. Particularly given what Newport has become in the years since cash has dried up.

This kind of bullshit is the whole reason I made this stupid account in the first place. Everything you have said about this over the last 3-4 years just could not be further from reality.

OK, maybe I'm the dickhead and I carry on here a bit.... I accept that. I get bored at work and feeling like taking the piss out of Newport for a bit, kill me. Nobody likes Newport. The boys get a few laughs out of it and its a bit of a joke.

I know Newport are not systematically cheating Division 3 suburban rugby, but neither are we. We will quite literally be on the phone trying to get 15 blokes to turn up to play 1ST GRADE against you guys on Saturday. Would you prefer we didn't so you didn't have a game to play? Because I've got better things to do with my time.

Please - give us a fucking break.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah mate, we're all on heaps. Beers on me afterwards. absolute muppet. No idea.

Last year round 1 was a 36-17 loss to the eventual runners up BOBs... we actually won 2 of our first 4?

Have a look at fusesport. Tell me who you think is getting paid.. We could easily go and buy a first grade side but we don't.

In fact, on the contrary, we have lost players because we refused to pay them when they are getting paid elsewhere.

Move on - we aren't doing well as a club, we will be lucky not to fold at the end of the year mate.

loads of clubs used to pay blokes, including your own. If you don't think Newport did then you are simply not in the loop champ. There is no way known a fully amateur side competes and draws a Barraclough grand final against a team stacked with ex Shute Shield players. Particularly given what Newport has become in the years since cash has dried up.

This kind of bullshit is the whole reason I made this stupid account in the first place. Everything you have said about this over the last 3-4 years just could not be further from reality.

OK, maybe I'm the dickhead and I carry on here a bit.. I accept that. I get bored at work and feeling like taking the piss out of Newport for a bit, kill me. Nobody likes Newport. The boys get a few laughs out of it and its a bit of a joke.

I know Newport are not systematically cheating Division 3 suburban rugby, but neither are we. We will quite literally be on the phone trying to get 15 blokes to turn up to play 1ST GRADE against you guys on Saturday. Would you prefer we didn't so you didn't have a game to play? Because I've got better things to do with my time.

Please - give us a fucking break.

Was actually a tongue in cheek response to your constant banter which I don’t really participate in. I’m happy just to wish all clubs the best and hope that everyone gets through the season in what is a tough period for rugby at many clubs, including yours and mine.

uziel malifa

Bob McCowan (2)
looks like our 3rds have been canned because of lack of numbers and commitment from players.its scary because that grade has a few team members that turn up at 10.30 play stay around 5.15-6.00 has a 10-11 year old son who along with a few other individuals setting up and packing up the field while a number of people not to far away from them sit and laugh while drink lol

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Seems to be on it's way out the game. The sideline "encouragement" is still there, but the thick skin to absorb it seems to have started to thin.

Last weekend at Dee Why, the ref - who was pretty good actually - called the home ground Marshal over to point out a section of onlookers who were getting slightly beyond rowdy.

Need seen that before.

uziel malifa

Bob McCowan (2)
Last weekend at Dee Why, the ref - who was pretty good actually - called the home ground Marshal over to point out a section of onlookers who were getting slightly beyond rowdy.

Need seen that before.

some crowds are getting a bit out of hand now a days in a trial our club had with mac uni and some drop kicks decided to start yelling stupid things towards the away team, towards the home team everyone, so we sent one of our more senior club members over and told them where to go.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Even pro players don't like getting boo'd now.

Friggin joke, did people wanna play in front of a bunch of clapping robots.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)

Need seen that before.

Challenge is you get groups of guys who show up to a public oval, not associated with the club, bring their own booze and then think its funny to abuse the ref, touchies and opposition players as their Saturday arvo entertainment. Its very hard to control.

ValleyGirl

Bob McCowan (2)
We've always enjoyed throwing some comments here and there at opposition players (as well as our own) which is always in good nature. I think every club gets those ring-ins that take it too far unfortunately...
Had a couple of good games against HeavyB and his boys on their ladies day where the banter has been flowing. Id have to say this is the silver lining with the numbers issue... smaller clubs have the camaraderie and light-heartedness to get involved in that stuff.
Tore shreds off the young brothers 1st grade winger last year... he took it like an absolute champ to be fair. Can't wait to see TC again!

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Challenge is you get groups of guys who show up to a public oval, not associated with the club, bring their own booze and then think its funny to abuse the ref, touchies and opposition players as their Saturday arvo entertainment. Its very hard to control.

Why would you wanna control it?

Good clean fun.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
I'm guessing Petersham are the previously mentioned 'craft beer bandits' based on that post they just made on the subbies page on FB.