• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

S

Show-n-go

Neither has been prioritized over the other. What has happened is earlier in the season the super teams and Rugby Australia created an understanding that if a player plays over a certain amount of minutes up to the Oceania tournament, they would would remain with their super sides. If it was under the allotted minutes threshold then RA has control of the player during that period.

I meant it’s about time as in, it should happen not that is has happened

S

Show-n-go

Common sense approach here, he could have been played this Super Rugby game with no impact on JWC preparation

would be great if he got injured in that one game wouldn't it

Common sense for me would be letting Lucas do his thing with the U20's, the Reds have a squad, use it! They have other options and its not like Lucas is as important to the Reds as say Beale was to the tahs in 2008

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I'm fine with Lucas being forced to the JWC preparation, he'll get more game time there than with the Reds. However, I think with the NH season coming to an end, that the Reds should be asking RA to assist with some injury cover then. Surely there's an outside back we can sign for a 2 month stint?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Common sense for me would be letting Lucas do his thing with the U20's, the Reds have a squad, use it! They have other options and its not like Lucas is as important to the Reds as say Beale was to the tahs in 2008

There’s also a fair chance he would get injured in a training camp, that’s pro sport. Isaac Lucas is in the Reds squads, hence investing resources into him and using him....

This decision lacks common sense, it’s not a request he miss the JWC or miss any games, literally requesting that he arrives at the Training camp 2 days late.

Beale request was to miss entire JWC, entirely different scenario.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I'm fine with Lucas being forced to the JWC preparation, he'll get more game time there than with the Reds.

He'd probably get 80 minutes for the Reds if he played this week?

Aidan Toua/Duncan Paia'aua would come into contention I assume, considering Eadie, Daugunu, Petaia & Hardy are all injured?

I also saw Junior Laloifi has finished up with the Asia Pacific Dragons, would he be available? John Porch has left the 7s program, perhaps him, or Liam McNamara who played some footy for Sunnybank recently? Tom Lucas?

It's so unfortunate, in my opinion, that players can't represent two Super Rugby teams in one season. Essentially, if they want to bring somebody additional in, they're a club player - you'd rather somebody like Semisi Tupou, Chance Peni, Lausi Tauliauli geetting a go

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

The reds have been hit very hard with injuries in the outside backs department (unlike previous seasons)

The dispensation was warranted when another outside back (Hamish Stewart’s was forced to leave the game prematurely on Friday

S

Show-n-go

There’s also a fair chance he would get injured in a training camp, that’s pro sport. Isaac Lucas is in the Reds squads, hence investing resources into him and using him..

This decision lacks common sense, it’s not a request he miss the JWC or miss any games, literally requesting that he arrives at the Training camp 2 days late.

Beale request was to miss entire JWC, entirely different scenario.

There is, however it's far more acceptable he get injured at a training he is supposed to be at rather than a game he wasn't actually meant to be playing in

it doesn't lack common sense at all, preparation is important, he is a very important member of that u20's team. A team, for once that is actually winning, let him give 100% to the cause, learn, develop and come back a better player to the benefit of the Reds. Who's to say those two days in training camp isn't the difference between winning and losing the JWC?

You dont get what im saying, i'm not comparing what Beale did to what Lucas is going to do as a U20's participant, im saying Lucas isn't a core member of the Reds team like Beale was to the tahs. There's other members in the Reds squad who can play Fullback and the team probably wouldn't be any worse off. If Lucas was as important to the reds as Beale was to the tahs at the same age there'd be a better argument for letting him play the super game

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The Reds still have outside backs available for selection though right? They just don't want to play them.

There has to be some point to naming a squad. Pick from it unless you can't

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The Reds still have outside backs available for selection though right? They just don't want to play them.

There has to be some point to naming a squad. Pick from it unless you can't

The reds have lost

Filipo Daugunu
Jordan Petaia
Will Eadie
Jack Hardy

Who knows what’s happening with Hamish Stewart.

Taking a chance but the 11-14-15 this weekend will be
11-Aidan toua
14- Jock Campbell
15- Duncan Paia’aua

Someone is coming up from reds extended training squad or club rugby to sit on the bench as a outside back replacement.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The reds have lost

Filipo Daugunu
Jordan Petaia
Will Eadie
Jack Hardy

Who knows what’s happening with Hamish Stewart.

Taking a chance but the 11-14-15 this weekend will be
11-Aidan toua
14- Jock Campbell
15- Duncan Paia’aua

Someone is coming up from reds extended training squad or club rugby to sit on the bench as a outside back replacement.
Is Naivalu out too?

McGahan and Tela are in the squad and could play 10 or 15 with Hegarty 10/15.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
let him give 100% to the cause, learn, develop and come back a better player to the benefit of the Reds. Who's to say those two days in training camp isn't the difference between winning and losing the JWC?

Reds asked to keep him for a further 48hrs, not 6 months.
im confident he would take more away from 80mins of super rugby then he would from 2 training runs in Sydney.

but anyway. the powers that be Australian Rugby have made a decision based on an arbitrary amount of minutes that a player is supposed to have played. So that's that.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Saw Wileman play for Brothers last weekend , good pace and positioned his support runners well , looked a class above . Certainly getting to the point where we need to use the extras brought in to cover injuries, hopefully up for it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Im actually not to fussed that he isn't playing, how they came about their decision amazes me though. Decisions made simply on arbitrary measures.

If he had played 220mins of Super Rugby prior to that point he would have reached the threshold and been allowed to play and enter camp one day later than the rest, yet he only played 199min so RA won't let him.

B

Bobby Sands

Why do NSWelshman care so passionately about Lucas playing for Australia the week he could be playing against them?

High endorsement of respect I guess..

On another note would love to get a glimpse of Wileman & McGahan.

S

Show-n-go

Why do NSWelshman care so passionately about Lucas playing for Australia the week he could be playing against them?

High endorsement of respect I guess..

On another note would love to get a glimpse of Wileman & McGahan.

Because I support Australia first and foremost

Yea I go for the tahs and glad if they win but I’m almost equally as happy if we are beaten by one of the other Aussie teams. I just see all the super teams as feeder clubs to the wallabies so want them all to go well

Tbh I’d completely forgotten that it was NSW v QLD this weekend