• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby U20 Championship 2019

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I agree
I dislike the officiating at the ruck where England are clearing players out well past the ruck and holding on to them on the ground.

I dislike the ref not insisting they need to release the tackler before going for a turnover.

The ref is helping. .

I have not watched the game, and probably never will. But I do share your frustrations. The New Zealanders are the masters of this sort of stuff.

So. What do we do about it? Maybe coach our players to play the way that any particular referee is allowing? No point us playing to our rules, is there? We have to learn to play to the referee's rules.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
SA 25-17 NZ with time pretty much up. SA with 14 for long periods & NZ unable to capitalise.

Sounds like it was a dud year all round. Oh well. Michael Jones Jr can go nuts next year.

EDIT: So they needed just a bonus point to qualify, and lost by eight points in the end. Were they ever in position to try a drop goal at all in the final 10-15 minutes?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yep always hard when you have little to play for , but still would have been nice to keep the momentum going moving into the semi finals and a bit of a worry to concede that many points.

On the positives, hopefully will act as a reset and refocus the squad, plus the form of McReight and Lucas

Agree with Jeeper above , 13 is a potential issue and the scrum is definitely a concern.

Think the balance of the starting forward pack against Ireland worked well , with impact off the bench. Got to win the early grind and let the impact players finish it off later in the game.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Never liked the way a red card completely changes a game. Very hard to defend a 5m scrum, do you have 7 scrumming and risk the pushover or leave an overlap in the backs!?!? Not sure how you deter high tackles, playing man in air, tip tackles etc without red cards though.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sounds like it was a dud year all round. Oh well. Michael Jones Jr can go nuts next year.

EDIT: So they needed just a bonus point to qualify, and lost by eight points in the end. Were they ever in position to try a drop goal at all in the final 10-15 minutes?

Closest they got was 17-22 in the 76th minute but they botched the restart then conceded the final penalty.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I saw a brief clip of the red card in the Aussie game. A high shot to be sure, but arms were wrapped and it didn't look clearly malicious. Penalty most days, yellow card when played frame by frame, red card rarely.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Is Nic Dolly (Number 16 for England) who scored a try against us the same Nic Dolly who played/ was a junior for Eastwood, however never was picked at schools level? If it was he was a tremendous talent, playing hooker at that time if I remember correctly

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
I saw a brief clip of the red card in the Aussie game. A high shot to be sure, but arms were wrapped and it didn't look clearly malicious. Penalty most days, yellow card when played frame by frame, red card rarely.

If you go on some of the reds handed out already in this tournament is justified, think we were very lucky not to cop a red in the Ireland game as the player ducked into tackle. The team showed some real grit to finish off the last 15 minutes the way that they did

Reactions: Tex

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Interesting watching the replay, the try just before half time was pretty clearly a knock on with no grounding yet net the TMO saw no reason to change the refs mind. Very odd.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)

Incompetence again by the officials, arms involved, contact at the chest , incidental higher contact. Penalty at best. Welsh referee, tight shorts looking to be the central figure. Deja vu.

Reactions: Tex

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Just before half time in the NZ-SA match one of the Blacks conceded a penalty for a high tackle that looked no different to the Aussie one other than it was after the ball was passed - no card, just frustrating the inconsistency in refereeing.

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
Never liked the way a red card completely changes a game. Very hard to defend a 5m scrum, do you have 7 scrumming and risk the pushover or leave an overlap in the backs!?!? Not sure how you deter high tackles, playing man in air, tip tackles etc without red cards though.

One of the proposed Rapid Rugby rule variations is a red-carded player may be replaced after 20 minutes. Not sure if this one was approved yet by the IRB.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I dislike that red card call.

I dislike the officiating at the ruck where England are clearing players out well past the ruck and holding on to them on the ground.

I dislike the ref not insisting they need to release the tackler before going for a turnover.

We are getting spanked. Set piece under massive pressure. Being a man down is not helping.

England are playing excellent one man up rugby. The ref is helping.

We’ve still shown some classy play.

I've noticed this quite a bit lately at all levels. Very %%^& annoying. It's as if there is no such thing as law 14.5.d.

Oh and the poms have been doing that clean out stuff for a while.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Incompetence again by the officials, arms involved, contact at the chest , incidental higher contact. Penalty at best. Welsh referee, tight shorts looking to be the central figure. Deja vu.

Tafa pretty clearly makes direct contact with the neck/chin area with his shoulder. I don't think you can say he just slid up in the tackle.

I agree that a red card here is overly harsh and could have been mitigated by saying that the English player did lower into contact to some degree and make it a yellow.

The problem we have is that a reasonable number of tackles are like this and whilst we want to get rid of them, we don't want red cards featuring in every game. If they are going to happen there needs to be a change that a red carded player can be replaced after 10 or 20 minutes.

The other problem if we are going to crack down so harshly on high tackles then it distorts things greatly if there isn't any review of a clear incident like the one in the NZ vs SA game that was clearly worse.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
One of the proposed Rapid Rugby rule variations is a red-carded player may be replaced after 20 minutes. Not sure if this one was approved yet by the IRB.

That is a good idea! Some GRR rule changes are too much for me but I hope this one gets looked at by IRB.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Does anyone have a link to watch the full game? Only thing I can find on Rugby.com.au is the highlights. Cheers