• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Cooper also posted on instagram saying he is leaving. The way they fade out of seasons is beyond a joke. Does anybody at that club have any pride? Because the way they played in the last two weeks doesn’t look like it. They have let the club down the supporters down and themselves down just a really embarrassing way to end the year.

Where do we go now? Coleman Genia Cooper and Koroibete all gone. Do we look to youth and start again as we have 4 blokes in the Junior Wallabies set up? The only problem with that is I doubt they will be ready and you don’t want to burn them out so they can actually go on and achieve their potential. What experienced players are available that we can sign?

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
It looks like it is going to be quite a clean out next season and not because the Rebels want them out but because a lot will be leaving Australia rugby;

Will Genia
Quade Cooper
Adam Coleman
Marika Koroibete
Billy Meakes
Tom English
Sam Talakai
Sam Jeffries
Tetera Faulkner
Michael Ruru
Sione Tuipolotu
Harrison Goddard
Ben Daley
Hugh Roach
Robbie Abel

A number of guys have been linked with other clubs and look set to join the long list of departing players. A huge worry for the Rebels future.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
It looks like it is going to be quite a clean out next season and not because the Rebels want them out but because a lot will be leaving Australia rugby;

Will Genia
Quade Cooper
Adam Coleman
Marika Koroibete
Billy Meakes
Tom English
Sam Talakai
Sam Jeffries
Tetera Faulkner
Michael Ruru
Sione Tuipolotu
Harrison Goddard
Ben Daley
Hugh Roach
Robbie Abel

A number of guys have been linked with other clubs and look set to join the long list of departing players. A huge worry for the Rebels future.
Hang on surely we aren’t letting 3 out of 3 half backs go? Surely Godard sticks around and chases the starting role now Genia is gone

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Goodness, who is going to be left? Although after the last couple of weeks that might be a good thing. Time to start playing more Victorians. At least then we can have some pride in the development of the local juniors.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Wow, that is a lot of meat gone. I'm guessing with their minds on that pathway they didn't need to worry about the outcome last night - and it saved them getting smashed up in a point less semi final

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Goodness, who is going to be left? Although after the last couple of weeks that might be a good thing. Time to start playing more Victorians. At least then we can have some pride in the development of the local juniors.
There are some good young products of Vic rugby playing Prem grade in Brisbane and Sydney atm. Rebels went for a quick fix and burnt a lot of locals on there list, now it becomes interesting if these players depart.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Wonder if you guys will end up with Nic White.. I hope he becomes a Brumby again, but that opens up Powell as neither of them should be on the bench.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Cooper also posted on instagram saying he is leaving. The way they fade out of seasons is beyond a joke. Does anybody at that club have any pride? Because the way they played in the last two weeks doesn’t look like it. They have let the club down the supporters down and themselves down just a really embarrassing way to end the year.

Where do we go now? Coleman Genia Cooper and Koroibete all gone. Do we look to youth and start again as we have 4 blokes in the Junior Wallabies set up? The only problem with that is I doubt they will be ready and you don’t want to burn them out so they can actually go on and achieve their potential. What experienced players are available that we can sign?

Coleman has had minimal impact on the team.
There is no way that we would pay enough for Cooper particularly after his display last night.
Genia is a loss but I wouldn’t mind having a half who didn’t do mindless kicks
Koriobete is also a loss when he is playing well

We chop and change players year on year. Get some with potential and then don’t know how to develop them and let them go.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The way Quade finished the season mirrored his season with Souths Rugby the year before in my opinion. Although he had to come back from injury that year.

He started strong and everyone was amazed he hadn’t lost a step, but opposing teams quickly figured out ways to shut him down and started turning his miraculous plays into errors and exposing some lacklustre defence.

He was quoted a few days ago saying he would like to stay in Melbourne so I’m not sure what will end up happening.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)

I thought Quade (on Instagram) was just thanking Rebels fans for their support and saying he wasn’t sure what was happening next year. Didn’t see him saying he was leaving, or did I miss something?

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought Quade (on Instagram) was just thanking Rebels fans for their support and saying he wasn’t sure what was happening next year. Didn’t see him saying he was leaving, or did I miss something?
Looked like a farewell message

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The way Quade finished the season mirrored his season with Souths Rugby the year before in my opinion. Although he had to come back from injury that year.

He started strong and everyone was amazed he hadn’t lost a step, but opposing teams quickly figured out ways to shut him down and started turning his miraculous plays into errors and exposing some lacklustre defence.

He was quoted a few days ago saying he would like to stay in Melbourne so I’m not sure what will end up happening.

The way quade played in the last few games for Souths last year wasn’t of the composure you would expect given his experience, exciting to watch but some of his decision making in the finals was questionable with forced passes and kicks. But that’s Quade in a nutshell isn’t it. Nothing this season has really changed my opinion on that, moments of brilliance offset with the bad.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Quade was just dreadful in the first quarter of the game, one sublime double around apart. He gave away at least one try with a diabolically bad kick. Then we watched something else. Sad for the game.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i think the Rebels franchise may be mortally wounded. they had two years to get some consistent wins, a finals berth, more bums on seats and financial stability. they appear to have failed on all accounts, although i have no information about the last one.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
i think the Rebels franchise may be mortally wounded. they had two years to get some consistent wins, a finals berth, more bums on seats and financial stability. they appear to have failed on all accounts, although i have no information about the last one.
To be fair look at the Sydney Swans took 20 odd years of hand outs and free tickets to build the club that they are today. You can’t expect success overnight. All Rebels fans hurt when we see games like last night and when we see wasted season like the last two years but what we are building as a club will take time. From my point of view it was a big mistake for the ARU to quit the Perth market and they can not compound that mistake by exiting the Melbourne market

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
^^^^^^
well i hope you are right. i cannot but compare the Rebels and Storm, and i know the latter had a stupendous amount of financial support from News Corp, but notwithstanding the salary cap rorts of the early years, they have been successful on and off the pitch from the get go. i live close to the "bubbledome" and as i walked this afternoon, there were hordes of supporters streaming into the ground for todays game, it was a very sobering juxtaposition to the Rebels crowds this year.

i can see marginal gains in the Rebels performances, but i am a rusted on rugby supporter, well over 50 years of playing, watching, coaching; the average punter just sees a team underperforming, so why bother forking out $ to watch or make emotional investment. neither RA nor the sponsors may be willing or have the readies to keep propping up a Melbourne team that the city (excepting a few thousand diehards) doesn't seem to want or care that much about. and who can blame them with the sort of on field efforts of the last two weeks

everyone i know who is at the club, is totally invested in them doing well; but there is no deep culture to fall back on when the going gets tough and as Rugby Reg said you are reliant on outsiders/mercenaries to fill the roster.