• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
my 2 cents on Waverley's relatively narrow loss to Knox.. 4 points. 28-32.

...a late try to Waverley probably would have been an injustice

Both teams were without a couple of big name players . Waverley were without Mildford (13)who was 1st week back from sindesmosis and in 2nds, and Fretton (the monster Kiwi breakaway) who is gone for season (concusssion). and Knox were without handy Thomas Constable (9) and winger Addis.

Waverley got off to a horrible start (gifting 2 tries) and that meant they were really playing "catch up" rugby for much of the match

so when you have to score multiple tries, you tend to push passes. and maybe try too hard

Andrew Coorey the referee did his usual good job

Knox were in 2018 a young inexperienced team . this year they are better for last years experience

they have a formidable backrow in Cheal, Breden and Gratwicke . and Ollie Hughes (5) is a big unit

their scrum demolished Waverley . despite Aholeilei(1) being back from injury.

My low opinion of Waverley scrummaging unfortunately continues .. despite it not winning me any friends

and Knox have some reasonable backs ..most notably in Rechner (12)

so to me Knox is very beatable but they definitely have an excellent forward pack

Waverley seem to have a habit of sleeping through the first 20 minutes, and puttting themselves in a hard position

I reckon Knox are very beatable . particularly by a team that is smart enough to avoid their big pack . Waverley in my view were guilty of trying to punch it up , too close to the ruck . when they stood a better chance in the backs

anyway Knox too good and deserved winners

my points

Knox
3 points . the backrow
2 points . the front row
1 point . Rechner (12)

Waverley
3 points . Volkman (10)
2 ponts . Rice (4)
1 point . Moretti (8)

Interestingly both Gratwicke (8) left field injured . albeit late in game
and Rechner (12) also seemed hobbled . and left late

so WLF agree . Cranbrook owes us one .. and Barker I think will knock off Knox anyway

however for today Knox were the better team . and continue to find a way to win

I meant Barker owe us 1 after the last 5 mins of last year, but will take anyone owing us 1 right now.

Was hoping you would have come and said G'day today! Never mind.

Anyway, did you see the 16as game today, and your thoughts.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Many many thanks Sidesteppa,

I was gob smacked, for once, when I had a look at this video, normally it's the 1sts you video but for whatever reason your video was on the Knox v Waves 16as. I happen to know the try scorer fairly well, he eats us out of house and home. Mind you this was just 1 snippet, both teams are quite good.
Nice one-handed take from below the right hip. Could work on the scoring dive however.

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
Anyone know how Trinity/Aloys ended up?

Trinity 26, Aloys 19.

What looked like it might be Trinity getting a large score ended up being a close affair. Trinity was on the score board early and was 12 nil up before a yellow card to the no. 6.

Aloys then got into it and both sides traded points for the remainder of the game.

Could have gone either way.

itwhatyoudowithit

Frank Row (1)
Quickie from Hornsby

Was clear Cranbrook lacked preparation - the physicality was a huge step up from the likes of St Pius I'm sure. Some players rose to the challenge - notably number 5 (didnt have a team sheet so only know a few names), while others missed too many tackles and went a bit soft. Its probably worth noting that Cranbrook didnt really have the run of the whistle (particularly in the first half) and copped 2 yellow cards that I thought were both a bit suspect.

That being said, Barker looked very, very dangerous. Pollard (2) walked over a few blokes, and the 7 was great in the breakdown (as well as taking up kicking duties).

Wouldnt write Cranbrook off - I suspect that come friday night, we'll see a team with a hell of a lot more grit. Sounds like Knox are a belter of a side though, looking forward to a spectacle.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The five-round competition gives you little margin for error. But it wouldn't surprise me if it's a three-way tie between Knox, Waverley and Barker.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Round 2 predictions:

Cranbrook to put up a strong show at Friday Night Lights before Knox prevails.

Waverley to flex its muscles against St Aloysius and take the points comfortably.

Trinity to go toe-to-toe with Barker in the first half before Barker surges back for a strong win.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Reminds me that my old school coach used to like it when Waverley played St Aloysius. "Let the Catholics beat each other up this week and we'll play whatever's left the week after". Those were days when (a) Australia was a more sectarian place and (b) the odd rugby punch-up was not unknown.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
WLF, apologies I didn't get to see the 16As ... so unfortunately can't pass on any observations.

I was down at Woollahra Oval (with a mate) for earlier Grade games ... and I tell you what .....they have that place "humming" ... they have the children happy with the jumping castle & entertainments, and then separately sectioned they have the hip DJ, catering to the cool 20-something crowd...

and the old farts like me ... are catered for too .... Australian Rugby should learn from this. Even Dave Sharma was down there ....not sure what that means ..

.....really Sydney Club Rugby is doing far better than Super Rugby ... they have better games and better catering to the watching public ...

Anyway I digress ... this Friday night Cranbrook really need to step-up. If they can get some footage of Knox, I suspect they can bring the right game-plan. Using their pacey finishers ... White, North & Lamens ... twinkle toes versus lead-foots

So my tips albeit with a degree of "hope" ... is that Cranbrook returns to their winning ways, and capitalise on their good fortune ... in that Knox are battered & bruised. Possibly without 8,9 &12.

So tipping Cranners in a close one, while Waverley and Barker should have little problems in their respective matches

all of which should open up CAS 2019 to be a 4 horse race

Steve Jane23

Stan Wickham (3)
WLF, apologies I didn't get to see the 16As . so unfortunately can't pass on any observations.

I was down at Woollahra Oval (with a mate) for earlier Grade games . and I tell you what ...they have that place "humming" . they have the children happy with the jumping castle & entertainments, and then separately sectioned they have the hip DJ, catering to the cool 20-something crowd.

and the old farts like me . are catered for too .. Australian Rugby should learn from this. Even Dave Sharma was down there ..not sure what that means ..

...really Sydney Club Rugby is doing far better than Super Rugby . they have better games and better catering to the watching public .

Anyway I digress . this Friday night Cranbrook really need to step-up. If they can get some footage of Knox, I suspect they can bring the right game-plan. Using their pacey finishers . White, North & Lamens . twinkle toes versus lead-foots

So my tips albeit with a degree of "hope" . is that Cranbrook returns to their winning ways, and capitalise on their good fortune . in that Knox are battered & bruised. Possibly without 8,9 &12.

So tipping Cranners in a close one, while Waverley and Barker should have little problems in their respective matches

Should be an interesting game SDW. However, Cranbrook 12 Pakutoa came off limping upon the start of the second half against Barker, didn't look good by any means but was able to hobble off. 15 Lamens was also sidelined early into the second, unsure whether this was due to injury or not as he looked fine. Looks like both teams will be without their ball-running 12's this Friday.

I think it will be a close game, hopefully cranners has done some training under lights as I'm sure knox will be doing on their home ground. Hopefully its a good night of rugby as you'd imagine every man and his dog will be there from the East and a strong turn out from knox as usual. If the boys at home can deliver a gutsy performance it should be a great game, I want to remain hopeful but can only see it ending one way... I'm tipping Knox by 2 tries

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyway I digress . this Friday night Cranbrook really need to step-up. If they can get some footage of Knox, I suspect they can bring the right game-plan. Using their pacey finishers . White, North & Lamens . twinkle toes versus lead-foots

So my tips albeit with a degree of "hope" . is that Cranbrook returns to their winning ways, and capitalise on their good fortune . in that Knox are battered & bruised. Possibly without 8,9 &12.

Hehe - SonnyDill, you are a very funny man.

Twinkle toes versus lead-foots? I’m not sure about that...

And yes - Knox put half a dozen of their 2nd’s on for the last 10 minutes. I suspect part of that was to give the starters a break, and also to give those boys from the 2nd’s more game time against a big, tough, skilful opposition.

Of the boys who came off:

8 (Gratwicke) had a huge game, and was taken off to give him a break. No injury worries.

9 (Constable) played 20 minutes in the 3rd’s on Saturday after 6 weeks off. He set up their only try, and is a certainty for next Friday night. Not sure where that will put the unfortunate Sammut who has performed well in the 1st’s for the past 6 weeks.

12 (S Rechner) had been out for 6 weeks also, and returned for the Queens Park game. Longhi, who filled in for him, is itching to get the 12 jersey back - so one of them will be on the field come Friday.

So, looking like a full strength Knox for Friday night. And from what you say about Woollahra Oval, it should be a great night of footy.

I’ll keep an eye out for you - and buy you a beer if Cranbrook win.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Hehe - SonnyDill, you are a very funny man.

Twinkle toes versus lead-foots? I’m not sure about that.

And yes - Knox put half a dozen of their 2nd’s on for the last 10 minutes. I suspect part of that was to give the starters a break, and also to give those boys from the 2nd’s more game time against a big, tough, skilful opposition.

Of the boys who came off:

8 (Gratwicke) had a huge game, and was taken off to give him a break. No injury worries.

9 (Constable) played 20 minutes in the 3rd’s on Saturday after 6 weeks off. He set up their only try, and is a certainty for next Friday night. Not sure where that will put the unfortunate Sammut who has performed well in the 1st’s for the past 6 weeks.

12 (S Rechner) had been out for 6 weeks also, and returned for the Queens Park game. Longhi, who filled in for him, is itching to get the 12 jersey back - so one of them will be on the field come Friday.

So, looking like a full strength Knox for Friday night. And from what you say about Woollahra Oval, it should be a great night of footy.

I’ll keep an eye out for you - and buy you a beer if Cranbrook win.

What's Constable been out with? Injury I presume?

Rechner a class player adds a lot to the Knox outfit - I'd say he was probably the difference on Saturday - physicality, strength and flawless in defence. However, he has struggled with a number of concussions over the last few seasons, starting to get dangerous for the lad if he gets another knock. Longhi is a fantastic replacement - big tall young fella but I hear he has a bit of a hot head which could be damaging.

Nonetheless, whoever Knox play at 12 will be a very handy player. Can't see Cranbrook coming anywhere near them. Knox by 25

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
What's Constable been out with? Injury I presume?

Rechner a class player adds a lot to the Knox outfit - I'd say he was probably the difference on Saturday - physicality, strength and flawless in defence. However, he has struggled with a number of concussions over the last few seasons, starting to get dangerous for the lad if he gets another knock. Longhi is a fantastic replacement - big tall young fella but I hear he has a bit of a hot head which could be damaging.

Nonetheless, whoever Knox play at 12 will be a very handy player. Can't see Cranbrook coming anywhere near them. Knox by 25

Yes - Constable picked up an injury just after half time in the Joeys match.

S Rechner is all class. Has been out with a hamstring injury. Someone mentioned on Saturday that he went off with a knee problem?

Longhi has come a long way this year - showing great maturity. Has scored some excellent tries at 12, and defence is top notch.

Also to come back next week for Knox is Woods (best player on tour in Japan). A tough decision as to who would come out of last weekends forward pack to fit him back in.

bobs bunker

Frank Row (1)
Trinity 26, Aloys 19.

What looked like it might be Trinity getting a large score ended up being a close affair. Trinity was on the score board early and was 12 nil up before a yellow card to the no. 6.

Aloys then got into it and both sides traded points for the remainder of the game.

Could have gone either way.

I watched the Aloys v Trinity game and thought both teams played very well. As Piglet pointed out, the result could have gone either way but Trinity probably made the cleaner and more frequent breaks on the day with the Trinity 10 always threatening. I thought the forward clash was great to watch with both packs full of hard workers I know there is a lot of football still to be played but I would be very surprised if the the Trinity No 9 is the not the the CAS 9, he was outsatnding.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
P Parker .... I'll be the bloke at the bar ... wearing (waving) a Waverley rugby cap ... looking thirsty.. at the end of the game ;)

but you are probably safe ... Knox definitely short odds. they beat Joeys at HH... say no more.

then again Rechner (12) is easily Knox's best back ... and he had heavy strapping on one leg ... and the fact that he was leaving the field, when the game was still in the balance ... shows he was genuinely injured

even the 8 ... looked injured, not out of gas....

I guess they will all be looking for CAS selection (comes out on Saturday night?)... so even if half OK, they will try and get on the park

anyway time will tell .. and no doubt the Knox camp will be keeping quiet

my son has played the Easts synthetic grass and in the wet and he tells me it remains a very fast track in the wet

that will probably suit Cranners ... whereas normally on other fields a wet track would favour the team with the big pack (ie Knox)