• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Murray was very good for New and has carved it up at Souths since leaving school. However, unlike Crichton, he was more of a League player we had on loan than a Union player that was poached. Much more likely to get Crichton back to Union (in fact, I'd probably expect him to sign after his contract at the Roosters ends) than Murray. On the whole league to union convert front, Ponga has two more years at Newcastle, unless the NRL signs him up to some mega deal I expect him to play for the ABs in the 2023 WC.

B

Bobby Sands

6 GPS Union players played in Origin last week.

Not all were dyed in the wool union players as UTG says, but they all finished at GPS schools playing Union.

B

Bobby Sands

Murray was very good for New and has carved it up at Souths since leaving school. However, unlike Crichton, he was more of a League player we had on loan than a Union player that was poached. Much more likely to get Crichton back to Union (in fact, I'd probably expect him to sign after his contract at the Roosters ends) than Murray. On the whole league to union convert front, Ponga has two more years at Newcastle, unless the NRL signs him up to some mega deal I expect him to play for the ABs in the 2023 WC.

Ponga is a Churchie man, and I hope that Jason Gilmore (another) can get a soup gig and get in his ear.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Let the record show in 2019, 6 wins, second last.

I get the feeling from general chatter that Thorn still has most of the fans here behind him.

Which I find astounding.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There have been plenty of positive signs for the reds. This year they were still paying for three large high profile contracts and are building a team of young, now experienced players who play with pride for their jerseys. Kerevi is a big loss for next year but to be honest, it may actually be a positive thing to alter the 'pass to kerevi' plan of attack.

I would be much happier as a reds fan than a rebels fan.

B

Bobby Sands

There have been plenty of positive signs for the reds. This year they were still paying for three large high profile contracts and are building a team of young, now experienced players who play with pride for their jerseys. Kerevi is a big loss for next year but to be honest, it may actually be a positive thing to alter the 'pass to kerevi' plan of attack.

Well said, I agree wholeheartedly.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)

Yes the Rebels are not in a good state but that comes from having to import nearly everyone and that doesn't provide stability although hopefully long term having a pathway there for local talent means locals don't disappear to other teams as has been the case. Qld on the other hand have a strong base to build from, and while we provide players to other sides logically we will find it easier to retain locals if the spots are available.

Yes the forwards provided honest toil but their play is too often the same and easy to counter. Campbell has been a positive, seems to really have spark and good to see a guy step up from club rugby and show what he can do - usually those guys end up at the Brumbies. Tate stepped up well and Hegarty provided good goalkicking but he was an import despite being from here he developed in other teams. I'm not clear on the improvements - what happened to Stewart? Without Higgers who is going to be the dynamic number 8 who can run strongly? Without Kerevi what will the backline do? Our 10 at the moment is an import, who has swapped positions with another import, who pushed out a local who maybe wasn't suited to the role. Yes Lucas is around after 20s and might be the guy, although he plays 15 in U20s.

Our 6 wins included 2 against the Sunwolves who have the highest points against record of any team. Take those out and swap them for games against strong teams, like the Jaguares in Argentina, and it changes. Yes some good young players are out there, but we have always had good young players as Qld produces lots of them. But improvements outside of natural development and Qld production line?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Thought Justin Harrison said it pretty well after the game last night. "Celebrating mediocrity is dangerous"

6 and 10. 1 3+try and 3 loser bonus points. Exactly the same as last year. Just like last year, one of the very first teams eliminated from playoffs

1 from 6 against our Aussie rivals, one less than last year

2 Sunwolves wins, a freak 35 degree win over the Brumbies, and 3 wins against os teams resting internationals against us.

Reds being one of the sides against whom teams aim to rest their players.

Another thoroughly mediocre season

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Fortunately I think the largest qty of unease I have with Thorn is largely historical. Apart from his creating the situation that had us with high cost non playing assets (no I see no reason to wipe that slate clean) he was simply too green for the Reds HC role.

He has 2 years up now and while hardly an experienced, successful pro coach he is not the green “babe to the wolves” that he was.

I might leave this forced positivity for the 2020 thread, but in summarising 2019 - another shit box from a long playing theme of the same at the Reds. Can, surely, only look up from here.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Let the record show in 2019, 6 wins, second last.

I get the feeling from general chatter that Thorn still has most of the fans here behind him.

Which I find astounding.
We have been on a merry-go-round of coaches since John Connoly was sacked in 1999. That's 20 years!

So yeah I'm happy to go more than 2 seasons without changing coaches.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Thought Justin Harrison said it pretty well after the game last night. "Celebrating mediocrity is dangerous"

6 and 10. 1 3+try and 3 loser bonus points. Exactly the same as last year. Just like last year, one of the very first teams eliminated from playoffs

1 from 6 against our Aussie rivals, one less than last year

2 Sunwolves wins, a freak 35 degree win over the Brumbies, and 3 wins against os teams resting internationals against us.

Reds being one of the sides against whom teams aim to rest their players.

Another thoroughly mediocre season
But I don’t think anyone is actually celebrating mediocrity and nor do I think the general supporter who is backing Thorn is either as accepting or as naive as is being implied by some.

I can only speak for myself - but I hate that we have finished another season at the bottom. I see the lack of effective kick
Chase, the lack of cohesive, multi pronged attack and the consistent lack of detail which create a whole heap of little problems that seem minor on their own but are fundamental to us consistent losing games. I hate us giving away needless penalties and I particularly hate watching shit like a senior player running out and giving two dumb penalities and picking up a yellow card in about a minute.

Interviewing Thorn, Kerevi & Higgers straight after the game, they were never going to deliver a sober season overview & focus on the clear negatives of the season. It is not like Thorn has consistently dodged the issue post game during the year.

Here is why I, personally, do think this year and the coaching regime of Thorn deserves at least some positive acknowledgement-

- There seems broad acceptance that there have been all sorts of cultural issues in Qld Rugby and that a broad clean out was required. Thorn took that approach. It was always going to be brutal, it was unlikely he was ever going to get it 100% right, and, without being inside the tent I think people are relying on guesswork as to what he got right and wrong. But at least he did it and he deserves credit for being the one prepared to take it on. Far more senior people then him have shirked the task

- Qld rugby is broke/insolvent. He is operating on a shoe string and trying to deliver a prestige product. I don’t care what industry you are in, that is a tough ask. As far as I can tell his approach has to be to build from the ground up. Frankly I think that approach is
long overdue and far more likely to provide for long term success than trying to parachute in a coupe of band aid solutions (having said that I would be happy to see a couple of experienced heads bought in to compliment our list for next year)

- Qld Rugby should be a great nursery, but over the last 15-20 years we lost our way. We continue to be one of the two largest developers of talent but we have been fundamentally failing to consistently ID, retain and progress the best of that to deliver on their potential. Between Thorn & Gilmore we seem to be finally improving in that area

- the playing group has long way to go to be consistently competitive. We really need guys like McDermott, Petaia, Lucas and more to deliver on their potential. But at least they have a crack. I don’t agree with anyone who thinks the current group aren’t busting their arse and I don’t believe that has consistently been the case from some of the previous playing groups

- Lastly, Thorn has been very influential in the development of Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Hockings, Blythe, Weight, ASY (Angus Scott-Young). He has been prepared to back McDermott, Petaia, Lucas and others. All of these guys are making their mark to various degrees. I think he deserves credit for his role in their development

Anyway, that’s enough from me. I just think people are a bit misguided if they take every positive comment about Thorn as being some sort of overarching ‘everything’s cool - just watch us next year’ type mentality.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I didn't like it when Thorn was given the gig but like others have said it's not going to help anyone if they get rid of him now. No one of any quality wants the job anyway.
Next year will be the year for Thorn to be judged. He's had a few years to build the team he wants. He needs to make the finals for success in 2020.
I don't take the argument about the Reds being poor and can't attract players, the money for players all comes from the TV deal, they just need to pay players who play for them.
Overall I think this year was a solid D.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
On average, the reds have played better as the season has gone on.

They appear to play with infinitely more structure than what they did at the start of the year.

They are just a below average squad that does not know how to win. That will take eons to turn around.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
For a squad that has had significant injuries, lost very good players to under 20s and pulled blokes out of 1st grade, I'd say they're looking ok. We won the same number of games than NSW, more than Auckland, one less game than the so called best squad on paper in Australia, won in South Africa and beat teams well above us in the table and narrow losses against finalists. 3 or 4 of the losses were pretty evenly balanced and a more experienced squad may have won them. We were never belted unlike previous seasons and started to score more towards the end of the season.

I hate losing as much as Brad does, but we will be there or there abouts next year. We have started to build some serious depth in experience. This team will grow for sure unlike others who have peaked at average or below average.

I agree though we need to have a winning % next year but I BELIEVE that we will.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the forward pack is coming on, though the scrum dominance has gone.

The backs are my issue. No idea of who is best in what position. Not sure where the breaks will be made in the future.

A plan needs to be made around a 10, if there's no 10 then it places a handbrake on those outside.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
agree, 10/12 is a big concern with 15 by extension. Lucas will fill one of those spots which is exciting. Just who fits the others.

Our backrow balance will be key too. Probably more rotation but I like the idea of 6 Wright, 7 McReight, 8 Wilson with ASY (Angus Scott-Young) on the bench. Locks will remain Rodda and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) with Hockings and Blythe rotation on the bench.