• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Don't ruin them too early like Jake MacIntyre.

Sorry I don't agree about this, Jake wasn't ruined by been played too early, he simply didn't have the skillset to play at that level, age compounded that shortfall given the experience and control required at 5/8.

McReight and Wilson will be 20 and 21 respectively come 2020, they aren't exactly schoolboys.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sorry I don't agree about this, Jake wasn't ruined by been played too early, he simply didn't have the skillset to play at that level, age compounded that shortfall given the experience and control required at 5/8.

McReight and Wilson will be 20 and 21 respectively come 2020, they aren't exactly schoolboys.

Reds had a dogsh*t pack going backwards and they threw it to the kid and blamed him for not being a world beater. Didn't have much of a supporting cast (coaches as well as players).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Reds had a dogsh*t pack going backwards and they threw it to the kid and blamed him for not being a world beater. Didn't have much of a supporting cast (coaches as well as players).

I don't remember Jake McIntyre been blamed for the Reds performances the way you're suggesting, he along with a number of other players and coaches were certainly contributing factors. I don't like bad mouthing him because he is a good bloke with a solid work ethic, he just didn't have the skillset necessary.

He was provided game time and the opportunity guys like Mack Mason can only dream of.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Mcreight won't start. Hockings probably will with Tui at 6. Mcreight and Wilson will share bench duties

1. Hooeprt 2. Mafi 3. Thor
4. Hockings 5. Rodda
6. Tui 8. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) 7. Wright
9. Mcdermott 10. Stewart/Mcgahan 11. Speight 12. Meakes maybe? 13. Petaia 14. Daugunu 15. Hegarty
16. Amosa 17. Smith 18. Smith 19. Blyth 20. Wilson/Mcreight 21. Sorovi/whoever 22. Stewart/Mcgahan 23. Sautia

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The worst part about that forrward pack - we are bound to lose one of those... McReight/Wilson might be happy sharing reds time in 2020, they won't in 2021. That forwards depth is ridiculous. Would have to be close to the best we have had. I can't think of time where there hasn't been a player i'd be happy/not upset to lose.

Is there a rule for uncontested backline moves???

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
For centres on the market within Australia, Meakes is my preferred recruit as well.
Would be good to bring Dylan Riley back from Japan as well.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Kerevi is back to back Pilecki Medal winner, Jock Campbell Rookie of the Year & Teti Tela won Spirit of the Reds award.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Kerevi is back to back Pilecki Medal winner, Jock Campbell Rookie of the Year & Teti Tela won Spirit of the Reds award.

'“Teti Tela has gone about his business and put the hard work in all year. He sat on the bench and prepared with the team on game-day but unfortunately didn’t play any minutes this season. He carried himself well during those challenging times." (quote from Thorn on Reds site).
It seems surprising that Thorn couldn't find an opportunity to give this guy some game time at all this season if he was on the bench, given they were moving the inside backs around. How is the guy supposed to develop and demonstrate what he can do if he doesn't get to play?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So looking back on QC (Quade Cooper)'s form this year, in addition to his decision to head to Japan now, and with the complete benefit of hindisght..was Thorn right to let him go?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
His form at end of season has little to do with Brad’s “direction”. The timing trashing a club asset can’t be retrospectively explained by subsequent form.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
So looking back on QC (Quade Cooper)'s form this year, in addition to his decision to head to Japan now, and with the complete benefit of hindisght..was Thorn right to let him go?

No, the Reds still paid for him to play for a team that performed better than us.

He would still have been a better option for 2019 than what we had