• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
And Latu can’t throw and he doesn’t really add that much in the experience stakes (compared to someone like TPN). I could kind of see why they gave him a chance a year or two ago when the cupboard was pretty bare, but Fainga’a has been in excellent form and Mafi pretty good too.

I reckon TPN will be included in the squad, initially at least and, if he isn’t, then I hope they have someone like Moore
there to mentor these guys.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not sure how Mafi can be up to it if TPN is not. Mafi isn't WC wallaby standard. TPN might not be in tip top form, but for your 3rd choice guy, you want someone with experience, proven ability, leadership qualities etc. This guy won't play much so can add value in other ways. However, if starting or benched against a weak team, you are confident they will deliver, and if called upon due to injuries, you again know what you'll get.

The '3rd string' options (Hooker, Halfback, a 6/8 utility, outside back) should not be guys going to 'develop'. I would take TPN, White, Mcaffrey, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) etc over Mafi, Powell, Valetini & Petaia etc

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
The questions of form re: TPN are pretty entertaining. Let's not forget it was jetted into the Tahs without much time & had to learn a whole new set of calls etc.
His last few games at the Tigers where he was starting or bench were pretty good. And was only demoted to the bench for the last game cause Tom Youngs was back from suspension.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m picking Mafi as my second hooker not as third string or a development player.

That spot may well go to Uelese and I’m fine with that, but for mine Mafi is the second best hooker currently playing regularly. The other options (as I seen then) are Uelese, Rangi, Latu, Fitzpatrick, TPN and BPA. For mine, it is either TPN and one of Mafi or
Uelese, or TPN misses out and it is both of the other two.

Edit: with regards to selection criteria - I would take the best possible players I can. Experience comes into that, but is only a part. Even with TPN, his experience is important, but I wouldn’t pick him unless I think he is in our top three options, which I do.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Edit: with regards to selection criteria - I would take the best possible players I can. Experience comes into that, but is only a part. Even with TPN, his experience is important, but I wouldn’t pick him unless I think he is in our top three options, which I do.

Agree with this to no end. We're going to have plenty of players with WC experience in the starting 23 e.g. Hooper, TK, Sio, Slipper, Pocock and alongside them we'll have guys like Kerevi, Rodda, AAA, Arnold etc who are seasoned test players. It's hardly a green team, we don't need to carry sub-performing players because they're experienced.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
No issues with this, THP should be first position selected, reserve THP second position selected
We don’t have a backline, so we need to lock down that set piece at least

I have an issue with it - we cannot afford contracts this size. We won't win an arms race with the NH / Japan over paying players. For every second / third string player that gets $800 K- $1 Million, we'll lose a couple of others.
And as much as all the ex-front rowers like to bang on about it, we won't win much without a functional team, including a back line.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I have an issue with it - we cannot afford contracts this size. We won't win an arms race with the NH / Japan over paying players. For every second / third string player that gets $800 K- $1 Million, we'll lose a couple of others.
And as much as all the ex-front rowers like to bang on about it, we won't win much without a functional team, including a back line.
We won't win much letting our best players leave either.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought it excessive but it is often said that the first person you buy for a rugby team is THP and the second his reserve. There are 4 props required on game day.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Nah mate, never suggested every second / third string should be getting paid that amount. I said I’m happy to pay that much for the 2 top THP’s in the country, I’m less concerned about the 2nd string LHP or 3rd string THP or starting wingers.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
It's a bit of a circle though, isn't it. We need sponsorship money, TV deals and ground attendances to get the cash in, and the way to get those things is winning (which requires keeping top players), developing and spreading junior rugby and marketing, each of which cost money, which of course RA don't have.

If you just say 'we have no money to spend on these things', your player pool gets weaker, you lose more games, kids take up other sports, attendances shrink, TV and sponsors lose interest and you spiral to your death. On the other hand if you do spend that money and don't get the results, disaster comes quickly.

This is not easy, it takes a highly skilled management to pull a business out of a death spiral, and while all the GAGR's are quick to attack RA (and don't worry, I'm often one of them) there are not many people with the skills to do this.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cheika will bring on Gibson for the WC campaign, and then go somewhere else. I think a front runner NSW replacement will be Wisemantel - but he would have to be a front runner for the Wallaby Attack coach under the new Head Coach surely. (My vote for Head Coach being Taylor)

Status
Not open for further replies.