• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigKebab

Frank Row (1)
Absolutely buzzing for the upcoming clashes tomorrow. Itching with anticipation.
giphy.gif

Bolivia

Herbert Moran (7)
I am not a Cranbrook dad, but I know Bolivia rather well, and his rugby and cricket knowledge rivals Allan McGilvray, for those who can relate to that, I am very sure sure that his comment about Cranbrook beating Joeys in 1985 will be correct.

Ask him who were the touchies!
There is a great photo of Grant Lodge sneaking inside the corner post for the winning try @ Joeys in 85.

As for you being confident about my recollections...…...glad someone is!

Reactions: WLF

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
There is a great photo of Grant Lodge sneaking inside the corner post for the winning try @ Joeys in 85.

As for you being confident about my recollections.….glad someone is!

Grant Lodge. Name from the past! Good player.

Reactions: WLF

Boomer Brian

Frank Row (1)
Just checked the weather reports tomorrow (via the Bureau of Meteorology [BOM]). Things not looking too good in the afternoon. And i quote "70% chance of showers along the coastal fringe in the afternoon and evening" end quote. Make sure to pack your umbrellas and raincoats.

Hoo roo.

Wow! The Bureau of Meteorology is rarely wrong in their weather predictions. Judging by this evidence, I think it is safe to say a rain hat or two will be needed!!!!

My son will have to keep some tight ball in the piggies! LOL!

Keep me updated,

-Booms

giphy.gif

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
Personally, this works for me..
It sums up what Joeys Rugby was always about.
To paraphrase.

At Joeys, we fight for that possession
At Joeys we tear ourselves, and everyone around us
to pieces for that possession.
We CLAW with our finger nails for that possession.
Cause we know
when we add up all that possession
that's going to make the bloody difference
between WINNING and LOSING
between LIVING and DYING.

I think this is what sets Joeys apart from the rest - they use their finger nails. This tactic is bound to catch on.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I think this is what sets Joeys apart from the rest - they use their finger nails. This tactic is bound to catch on.

You never had Br Joseph check your nails.
Too long you were given a blow across the head and told to trim them.
If you hair was long, then you were sent to the chair....Br Cyrinus, the demon barber of Dorm 1

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Not in my day and I go back to the 70's
Never in the 80's when my two younger brothers were at Joeys.
Not in the 90's when my cousins attended.
Not in the 00's either.

So, have Joeys ever played Cranbrook? (Joeys lower grade teams have played Cranbrook A teams in the past, NOT 1st vs 1st)

The last time I think Cranbrook beat Joeys was in 1988 and the score was 15-10. Cranbrook won by kicking 5 Penalties to Joeys 2 tries.

As for 1985, I believe only TAS and Kings beat Joeys that year. But Cranbrook I believe Joeys in 1986 ( According to the Late Martin Pitt )

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Definitely beat Joeys in 1985

Hello Bolivia

Do you remember the score.

From my memory of 1985 only TAS winning 3-0 with a Field Goal kicked by Richard Tombs and Kings winning 9-4 with a runaway try against the run of play beat Joeys . Joeys shared the premiership with Shore whom they beat 20-0 in the Preseason and 11-0 in the competition. The lost to Kings ensured they shared the Premiership with Shore.

The Joeys Front Row all played for the Australian Schoolboys that year.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Hello Bolivia

Do you remember the score.

From my memory of 1985 only TAS winning 3-0 with a Field Goal kicked by Richard Tombs and Kings winning 9-4 with a runaway try against the run of play beat Joeys . Joeys shared the premiership with Shore whom they beat 20-0 in the Preseason and 11-0 in the competition. The lost to Kings ensured they shared the Premiership with Shore.

The Joeys Front Row all played for the Australian Schoolboys that year.

TAS had a very strong team in 1985. The Armidalian records:

"The 1st XV record of games for 1985 is as follows.
V. St. Peters. 6 - 6 Draw
V. N.E. U/18 26 - 0 Won
V. St Joseph's 3 - 0 Won
V. Shore 9 - 3 Won
V. St Ignatius 10 - 6 Won
V. Kinross 40 - 6 Won
V. Cranbrook 22 - 7 Won
V. Rockhampton Grammar 42 - 0 Won
V. Toowoomba Grammar 28 - 9 Won
V. St. Stanislaus 7 - 3 Won
V. Brisbane Grammar 34 - 3 Won
V. Downlands 13 - 6 Won

Points For: 240
Points Against: 49
Tries For: 41
Tries Against: 3

There were obviously a number of high points in the season. The one which will remain long in the memories
of all who were on Backfield was the victory against St. Josephs.

Cameron Williams having dropped a field goal in the first half was the hero of the T.A.S. team, and the.
parents who were there celebrated the occasion by taking the team to a restaurant for a well earned evening.
The victory over St. Joseph's had another significance asfar as Joe Hanna was concerned. He had promised Mr
Fisher when he was Headmaster that he (Joe Hanna) would shout the School fruit salad and ice cream on the
occasion that T.A.S. defeated St Josephs in the 1st XV.

Joe, being true to his word, honoured the agreement and the whole school celebrated the victory with a
salad lunch and fruit salad and ice cream supplied by Mr Hanna,

Representative Honours:
Seventeen players from T.A.S. were selected in the North West Zone side which successfully contested the
Country Championships at Narrabeen winning the Championships for the second year in succession. Mr Harris
was the coach for the side and the players selected were:
D. Alker, J. Appleby, R. Browning, S. Bailey, W. Butt, M. Crawford, J. Coupland, M. Forsythe, J. Green, A.
McConville, S. Mitchell, M. Ritchard, P. Pidgeon, D. Steffensen, R. Tombs, P. White, C. Williams.
Andy McConville was named player of the North West side with Richard Tombs being named player of the
Championships.
Ten T.A.S. players from the North West side were selected in the Country squad. They were - A. McConville,
D. Steffensen, M. Ritchard, S. Bailey, M. Forsythe, C. Williams, R. Tombs, J. Coupland, M. Crawford.
Andy McConville was selected in the G.P.S. 3rd XV with Sam Bailey and Michael Crawford in the G.P.S. 2nd
XV. Richard Tombs was selected in the G.P.S. 1st XV and was named Captain. This nomination as Captain of the
G.P.S. 1st XV was a great achievement and an honour which T.A.S. was quite proud of.
Richard Tombs and Michael Crawford represented N.S.W. 1st XV at the Australian Championships. The
N.S.W. 1st XV won the championships and Richard was Captain of the side."

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
TAS had a very strong team in 1985.

Joe, being true to his word, honoured the agreement and the whole school celebrated the victory with a

Frank was a good man. Gave me a job when I studied in Armidale. Was at the game and it bucketed all match.
Alan Jones was also there I recall and spoke to both teams.
Joeys turned down many penalty conversions in the second half to draw level and TAS held their line. Stoic all game.
I recall the students standing in the rain cheering all match. Great occasion. Good dinner too with the Joeys community afterwards

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Damn, it cold. A cool morning in Hunters Hill with a westerly wind delivering a current "feels like" temperature of 2 degrees. Heading for the football BBQ early. Time for a bacon and egg roll. Bright sunshine at the moment. Lots of Nortn Shore 'tractors" parked next to utes from the bush out front.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Lovely
Frank was a good man. Gave me a job when I studied in Armidale. Was at the game and it bucketed all match.
Alan Jones was also there I recall and spoke to both teams.
Joeys turned down many penalty conversions in the second half to draw level and TAS held their line. Stoic all game.
I recall the students standing in the rain cheering all match. Great occasion. Good dinner too with the Joeys community afterwards

Lovely story, Joker. I was in Canberra so missed all those games! You do have a bad (good!) influence though. With your role as record keeper in mind, I have been going back through the Armidalians looking at all the past results. TAS was out of the GPS comp in 85, but on those results it would have either won or been joint GPS premiers.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Lovely

Lovely story, Joker. I was in Canberra so missed all those games! You do have a bad (good!) influence though. With your role as record keeper in mind, I have been going back through the Armidalians looking at all the past results. TAS was out of the GPS comp in 85, but on those results it would have either won or been joint GPS premiers.

And deservedly so. My father was a TAS old boy and had the pleasure of being run over by the great Jim McCann in 1955 in Armidale. They lost by a cricket score but noted how friendly the Joeys boys were. His good mate from Joeys was the mile runner Peter Hatcher who he ran 2nd to in the 1955 GPS Carnival. Daylight was third I am told. Decades later he sent me to Joeys based on the friendships he made with the Joeys boys.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
From around the grounds

Joeys 5th 43 Shore 7
Joeys 9th 80 Shore 8th 0 (Played on the main oval as well. Nice)
Joeys 11th 58 Shore 9th 5 (Played as well on the main oval)

Joeys 16D 70 Grammar 16B 10
Joeys 16E 17 Shore 16E 39

Joeys 15C 26 Shore 14

Joeys 13G 29 Shore 13E 24

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
TAS had a very strong team in 1985. The Armidalian records:

"The 1st XV record of games for 1985 is as follows.
V. St. Peters. 6 - 6 Draw
V. N.E. U/18 26 - 0 Won
V. St Joseph's 3 - 0 Won
V. Shore 9 - 3 Won
V. St Ignatius 10 - 6 Won
V. Kinross 40 - 6 Won
V. Cranbrook 22 - 7 Won
V. Rockhampton Grammar 42 - 0 Won
V. Toowoomba Grammar 28 - 9 Won
V. St. Stanislaus 7 - 3 Won
V. Brisbane Grammar 34 - 3 Won
V. Downlands 13 - 6 Won

Points For: 240
Points Against: 49
Tries For: 41
Tries Against: 3

There were obviously a number of high points in the season. The one which will remain long in the memories
of all who were on Backfield was the victory against St. Josephs.

Cameron Williams having dropped a field goal in the first half was the hero of the T.A.S. team, and the.
parents who were there celebrated the occasion by taking the team to a restaurant for a well earned evening.
The victory over St. Joseph's had another significance asfar as Joe Hanna was concerned. He had promised Mr
Fisher when he was Headmaster that he (Joe Hanna) would shout the School fruit salad and ice cream on the
occasion that T.A.S. defeated St Josephs in the 1st XV.

Representative Honours:
Seventeen players from T.A.S. were selected in the North West Zone side which successfully contested the
Country Championships at Narrabeen winning the Championships for the second year in succession. Mr Harris
was the coach for the side and the players selected were:
D. Alker, J. Appleby, R. Browning, S. Bailey, W. Butt, M. Crawford, J. Coupland, M. Forsythe, J. Green, A.
McConville, S. Mitchell, M. Ritchard, P. Pidgeon, D. Steffensen, R. Tombs, P. White, C. Williams.
Andy McConville was named player of the North West side with Richard Tombs being named player of the
Championships.
Ten T.A.S. players from the North West side were selected in the Country squad. They were - A. McConville,
D. Steffensen, M. Ritchard, S. Bailey, M. Forsythe, C. Williams, R. Tombs, J. Coupland, M. Crawford.
Andy McConville was selected in the G.P.S. 3rd XV with Sam Bailey and Michael Crawford in the G.P.S. 2nd
XV. Richard Tombs was selected in the G.P.S. 1st XV and was named Captain. This nomination as Captain of the
G.P.S. 1st XV was a great achievement and an honour which T.A.S. was quite proud of.
Richard Tombs and Michael Crawford represented N.S.W. 1st XV at the Australian Championships. The
N.S.W. 1st XV won the championships and Richard was Captain of the side."

Anyone know how Richard Tombs is Faring?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
From around the grounds

Joeys 5th 43 Shore 7
Joeys 9th 80 Shore 8th 0 (Played on the main oval as well. Nice)
Joeys 11th 58 Shore 9th 5 (Played as well on the main oval)

Joeys 16D 70 Grammar 16B 10
Joeys 16E 17 Shore 16E 39

Joeys 15C 26 Shore 14

Joeys 13G 29 Shore 13E 24

Thanks Joker,

Good on the 16Es. At least no clean sweep today.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Thanks Joker,

Good on the 16Es. At least no clean sweep today.

16E's are now "enjoying" the losers lunch back at the school. Horse balls all round.
Shore parents are fine people. They applaud good rugby and congratulate Joeys boys as well.
Nice spirit here at Hunters Hill, if not a tad cold. Almost lunch time too....The Rower awaits

Status
Not open for further replies.