• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Generally there seems to be growing agreement on the squad. Where I differ to many here:

9 Powell - Genia bench. The deeper into finals the Brumbies go the more I think it.
10 Lilo - if To'omua or Hunt takes the utility bench slot, Foley doesn't make the team. He does make the squad in case of injury and we need a starting 10 replacement.

I would take Hunt over Beale in any position that is being considered, Beale would not make my team, Hunt takes the bench utility spot in a 6/2 bench. It wont happen, which means Hodge gets that slot in stead.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Generally there seems to be growing agreement on the squad. Where I differ to many here:

9 Powell - Genia bench. The deeper into finals the Brumbies go the more I think it.
10 Lilo - if To'omua or Hunt takes the utility bench slot, Foley doesn't make the team. He does make the squad in case of injury and we need a starting 10 replacement.

I would take Hunt over Beale in any position that is being considered, Beale would not make my team, Hunt takes the bench utility spot in a 6/2 bench. It wont happen, which means Hodge gets that slot in stead.
Hunt is crocked.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He has a point, you don't need to so vocally dismissive of his comments, if you don't agree with them that fine, but if you're going to comment on it then the least you could do is engage in what he has said.

Ah, gotcha......... I'll play along. ;)

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
1. Sio - Sio and Slipper?
2. F Fainga'a - I think most people would have him as their starting hooker?
3. Alalaatoa - Alalaatoa and Tupou?
4. Rory Arnold - I think most people would have him as their starting lock?
5. Rodda - incumbent and player who has shown good leadership potential
6. Salakai-Loto - physical and has improved this year, I think most people would have him in their Wallaby team/squad?
7. Hooper - he is the captain
8. Hanigan - has improved this year and the Ben Darwin factor rules Naisarani out for me (tough call I KNOW)
9. Powell - in outstanding form. Genia tries to run teams all by himself - that's just my opinion
10. Hodge - I hate Foley's goalkicking!!! Hodge's kicking is once in a generation and played under-age rugby with Powell
11. Banks - outstanding pace and x-factor, Koroibete is low on rugby smarts, kicking and defusing high ball
12. Kerevi - I don't think this is a weird selection?
13. Kuridrani - I don't think this is a weird selection?
14. Haylett-Petty - has played quite a bit of 14 for the Wallabies
15. Beale - experienced at International level, 70 - 85 caps I'm guessing

16. Roach - Rebels' lineout was the best in the comp this year, better around the park than Rangi, Mafi, BPA, Fitzy
17. Slipper - Sio and Slipper?
18. Tupou - Alalaatoa and Tupou?
19. Simmons - very experienced and has been a part of the Wallabies for a long time, that's worth something
20. Dempsey - dynamic and offers something off the bench, lack of Rebels in the team counts against Naisarani
21. Gordon - offers spark off the bench, needs to improve his kicking before the WC though
22. Newsome - reliable and underrated, has his critics, works well with Kurtley and has a Western Force connection with DHP
23. Maddocks - had a taste of Wallabies last year and has carried on this year with good form

Robertson, Paenga-Amosa & Kepu - can't really come up with anything else

L Wright & Scott-Young - do anything to keep these guys in Aus rugby and a key part of the next WC cycle

Pocock - has to be there but all the neck rolls that he has copped over the years has nearly killed him

McDermott - has to be a part of the Wallabies soon

Feaua-Sautia - Kerevi is key, so if Kuridrani goes down the most familiar 13 to Kerevi would be Sautia.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Genia will be the starting 9 and they will include White. Powell to be the number 3 but maybe work himself into the 23 prior to the RWC. He has been around the group for a while.
Beale will be there as will Foley. LILO a safer option than Cooper and To'omua a good utility.
Surely Fainga will get first crack at the 2 jersey with the RC to sort out the other two hookers.
Banks has surely played himself above the likes of Maddox and should be trialed at 14/15 in the RC. DHP is out of form currently but his experience and past test form will be irresistible to both Cheika and Johnson. He will be in the reckoning.
6 will be the most interesting. Hooper and/or Pocock walk into 7 and Naisarani to 8. Who pulls them together as a cohesive complete back row?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Most people are naming their preferred 23 for the RWC, however at this stage it’s probably pertinent to try and think what will be the team for the first games of the RC. Historically Cheika has picked a squad for each pair of games. You would think this year would be no different, we are away v the Boks for the first round on 21/7 and then host Argentina the following week, then there is a weekend off before the Bledisloe fixtures. You would think an initial squad of 32-34 will be picked for the first 2 games, with the 23 for the Boks game being weighted more with experienced players, with the less experienced players carrying a higher representation in the game v Argentina. This squad will then be fine tuned, and no doubt some recuperating or rested players added, for the Bledisloe games.

Anyone want to have a stab on that basis?

S

Show-n-go

Most people are naming their preferred 23 for the RWC, however at this stage it’s probably pertinent to try and think what will be the team for the first games of the RC. Historically Cheika has picked a squad for each pair of games. You would think this year would be no different, we are away v the Boks for the first round on 21/7 and then host Argentina the following week, then there is a weekend off before the Bledisloe fixtures. You would think an initial squad of 32-34 will be picked for the first 2 games, with the 23 for the Boks game being weighted more with experienced players, with the less experienced players carrying a higher representation in the game v Argentina. This squad will then be fine tuned, and no doubt some recuperating or rested players added, for the Bledisloe games.

Anyone want to have a stab on that basis?

I’d go minimal brumbies for the first week, give the usual suspects and any bolters from the other super franchises a run

Argentina id go a more brumby centric team with, again any of those iffy positions getting switched around

AB’s game settle on your best 23 and run with it

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Not sure about that, if they make the final there is still a 2 week gap, but it will no doubt be assessed on a case by case basis. I’d still pick the best available squad for the tour with the caveat that some players (mostly brumbies) may be better off rested. But that being the case I’d rest those same players v Argentina as well, subject to injuries out of the Boks game.

S

Show-n-go

South Africa:
1) Robertson/HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
2) ulese
3) Thor
4) Rodda
5) Coleman
6) Jones
7) Hooper
8) Naisarani
9) Genia
10) Cooper
11) Koro
12) Kerevi
13) F-Sautia
14) DHP
15) Beale
16) Mafi
17) whoever out of Sio and Slipper is on the bench for brumbies
18) HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)/Robertson
19) Phillip
20) LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
21) Gordon/Phibbs
22) To'omua
23) Naivalu

Argentina
1) AAA
2) Fainga’a
3) Sio
4) Coleman
5) Arnold
6) McCaffrey
7) Hooper
8) Samu
9) Powell
10) Lilo
11) Speight
12) Kerevi
13) Kuridrani
14) Maddocks
15) Banks
16) Ulese/Mafi
17) Slipper
18) Kepu
19) LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20) Hanigan
21) Genia
22) Foley
23) Pulu

This isn’t what I think will happen or my ideal squad just what I’d potentially like to see, guessing what Cheika will pick. Couldn’t find room for Meakes and probably 1-2 others I’ve forgotten who will make the final squad

S

Show-n-go

Not sure about that, if they make the final there is still a 2 week gap, but it will no doubt be assessed on a case by case basis. I’d still pick the best available squad for the tour with the caveat that some players (mostly brumbies) may be better off rested. But that being the case I’d rest those same players v Argentina as well, subject to injuries out of the Boks game.

That’s fair, just my logic was first leg is in SA, brumbies are travelling to arg this week and possibly NZ next week. Could do with a bit of rest at home and not being on the road

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I will have a crack for the for the first game vs the Bok

1:- Sio
2:- Fainga'a
3:- AAA -
4:- Arnold
5:- Rodda
6:- Salakaia-Loto
7:- Hooper
8: - Naisarani
9:- Genia
10:- Foley
11:- Koroibete
12:- Kerevi
13:- Kuridrani
14:- DHP
15:- Beale

16:- TPN
17:- Slipper
18:- Tupou
19:- Simmions
20:- Pocock
21:- Powell
22:- Lealiifano
23:- Banks

That's at a guess what they will go with not really what I would go with and for the second game in Argentina I'd do the following

Valentini 6
Lealiifano 10
Banks 15
Powell 9
Pulu /Speight in for Koroibete

Simmions out Salakaia-Loto Bench
Foley - out Beale on the beach
Genia bench or bring in White.

Other all If Pococks not there then Samu on to the bench, or into number 8 and Naisarani on the bench.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
South Africa:
1) Robertson/HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
2) ulese
3) Thor
4) Rodda
5) Coleman
6) Jones
7) Hooper
8) Naisarani
9) Genia
10) Cooper
11) Koro
12) Kerevi
13) F-Sautia
14) DHP
15) Beale
16) Mafi
17) whoever out of Sio and Slipper is on the bench for brumbies
18) HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)/Robertson
19) Phillip
20) LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
21) Gordon/Phibbs
22) To'omua
23) Naivalu

Argentina
1) AAA
2) Fainga’a
3) Sio
4) Coleman
5) Arnold
6) McCaffrey
7) Hooper
8) Samu
9) Powell
10) Lilo
11) Speight
12) Kerevi
13) Kuridrani
14) Maddocks
15) Banks
16) Ulese/Mafi
17) Slipper
18) Kepu
19) LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20) Hanigan
21) Genia
22) Foley
23) Pulu

This isn’t what I think will happen or my ideal squad just what I’d potentially like to see, guessing what Cheika will pick. Couldn’t find room for Meakes and probably 1-2 others I’ve forgotten who will make the final squad

Jee's bit harsh on Kepu, ditching him when you aren't playing the Brumbies in the first game, I'd probably select him to start and still pick Thor on the bench.

S

Show-n-go

Jee's bit harsh on Kepu, ditching him when you aren't playing the Brumbies in the first game, I'd probably select him to start and still pick Thor on the bench.

Big fan and would pick him in my World Cup team, just think he needs all the rest he can get. Been run into the ground a bit this year and his only got so many games left in those old legs. We know what he can do so no rush to chuck him in

Status
Not open for further replies.