• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Whats pretty funny is that it would probably be in the best interest for Australian rugby long term, and fuck what NZRU and SARU's reaction is.

I agree. I've watched pretty much all the games so far and the variations work quite well and the ball is in play a good bit longer. At least it feels like it. Most games have around 1/2 as many line outs as Super Rugby which when you consider they take about a minute each there's the extra time right there.

It would definitely be in our best interests in my opinion if we joined GRR. A faster, more upbeat style focusing on the overall experience. I'd certainly support it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It'd be pretty fucking funny in my books. Would be interesting to see the NZRU and SARU's reaction to the news.

I would also laugh my tits off. I think in the lead up to the 2020 negotiations it would be worth RA's while to have a good detailed chat with GRR to understand the viability of the OZ franchises linking up with them.

S

Show-n-go

I agree. I've watched pretty much all the games so far and the variations work quite well and the ball is in play a good bit longer. At least it feels like it. Most games have around 1/2 as many line outs as Super Rugby which when you consider they take about a minute each there's the extra time right there.

It would definitely be in our best interests in my opinion if we joined GRR. A faster, more upbeat style focusing on the overall experience. I'd certainly support it.

How do you think that would impact us at international level though? I don’t like the sound of 1/2 the amount of lineouts then going to play internationals and get absolutely belted at set piece

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
How do you think that would impact us at international level though? I don’t like the sound of 1/2 the amount of lineouts then going to play internationals and get absolutely belted at set piece

They're still important elements of the play. So there'd be reason not to continue to practice them. It's just defending teams cannot just hack the ball into touch now.

S

Show-n-go

They're still important elements of the play. So there'd be reason not to continue to practice them. It's just defending teams cannot just hack the ball into touch now.

I dunno, in my head half the amount of lineouts during games means half the amount of time spent on them in training. Worrying possibility given how hot and cold we are at wallaby level with lineouts at the moment let alone without that extra practice at domestic level

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
So, here's another branding suggestion for GRR if they want to build bridges in Asia. Assuming Hong Kong is part of the comp next year, just call them the Hong Kong Tigers instead of the South China Tigers. Events there over the last week or so indicate that a team representing Hong Kong will go down a lot better than a team representing South China.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
So, here's another branding suggestion for GRR if they want to build bridges in Asia. Assuming Hong Kong is part of the comp next year, just call them the Hong Kong Tigers instead of the South China Tigers. Events there over the last week or so indicate that a team representing Hong Kong will go down a lot better than a team representing South China.

Agreed. The history of forced amalgamations to create the Super franchises in NZ and SA, plus the crazy input of marketing people, has led to Super franchise names being recognised only by insiders. If GRR can promote local support by using local names, they will do better in attracting crowds than the plethora of unrecognisable Super team names.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Dunno. I suppose stock in the name 'China' may have gone down a bit. Political amalgamating force rather than just franchising.

Although TBF, not too much inside info is needed for 'South China' to ring a bell.

You can place it more easily than, say, "The Bulls"

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Dunno. I suppose stock in the name 'China' may have gone down a bit. Political amalgamating force rather than just franchising.

Although TBF, not too much inside info is needed for 'South China' to ring a bell.

You can place it more easily than, say, "The Bulls"

Yep. Try explaining to a diehard league supporter the difference between "The Blues" and the Waratahs who wear blue.
Or why Queensland's Maroons became Reds and wear maroon. Usually.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep. Try explaining to a diehard league supporter the difference between "The Blues" and the Waratahs who wear blue.
Or why Queensland's Maroons became Reds and wear maroon. Usually.

I don't think the names of the teams are such an as issue every competition in the world has them, but they need to reinforce the prefix of the geographic location the teams are from. Rather then just calling them then "Blues", it should be the "Auckland Blues". Likewise with all the South African teams and their stupid names.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Still would love to bring back the rams again in this comp. Long term with good support it's the best way to approach expansion of support for rugb .

Any second NSW team would be good, be it Western Sydney or the Hunter as has been mooted. The Rams, I dont care.

Has Twiggy's mob talked to North Sydney Leagues? They seem so desperate to get back into the NRL and cant. They just might be interested in financing a team in GRR.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Happen to have done the logos for both (formally) at the eve of the NRC haha

12017454_527423984092404_5287772542585440312_o.jpg

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Is there anywhere online i can watch full games from GRR?

I believe Kayo keeps matches up 'on demand' for a fair while. That's probably the best answer.

SBS is great for live streaming - but the video doesn't stay up on long duration. It's not on demand rights.

Obviously SBS Viceland is FTA (awesome) which means there are possibilities there (e.g. ATT) if there are interested parties.