• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We are in no position to talk, but you would have to think the management of this team has been pretty diabolical.

I would love to have Simon Cron at the Reds.

Cron was okay at club level, not much evidence that he was a star at the Tahs, although of course nobody knows for sure what his constraints were.

I suppose one of the Tahs' problems is that there are so many NRL clubs in their territory, will and eager to snaffle up every kid that shows any sort of ability as soon as they start to shave.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Cron was okay at club level, not much evidence that he was a star at the Tahs, although of course nobody knows for sure what his constraints were.

I suppose one of the Tahs' problems is that there are so many NRL clubs in their territory, will and eager to snaffle up every kid that shows any sort of ability as soon as they start to shave.

Johnson-Holmes? - identified him Australia u20s 2017 and then developed him at the Tahs 2018 and 2019
Fitzpatrick? - Rays 2016 to outstanding lineout operator and third top tackler in Super Rugby this year
Wells? - Northern Suburbs, Aussie 7s mere mortal 3-4 years ago, dominated Naisarani when they played the Rebels this year

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
We are in no position to talk, but you would have to think the management of this team has been pretty diabolical.

I would love to have Simon Cron at the Reds.

I reckon Cron would have a good relationship with Liam Wright and Scott-Young from their 2017 u20s year. Wright was the 20s player of the year. Got the best out of Perese too because I think it is fair to say that 2017 Junior World Cup was the height of Perese in union.

All hindsight and hypotheticals now though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Johnson-Holmes? - identified him Australia u20s 2017 and then developed him at the Tahs 2018 and 2019
Fitzpatrick? - Rays 2016 to outstanding lineout operator and third top tackler in Super Rugby this year
Wells? - Northern Suburbs, Aussie 7s mere mortal 3-4 years ago, dominated Naisarani when they played the Rebels this year
Cron is probably developing fine as a coach and losing him is something of a shame. But from Cron's perspective the move is 100% the best decision to make for his career.

And let's be honest. Of the three players you identified only one should be starting in a team hoping to win a Super rugby title.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Mate - your devotion to some of these guys is admirable, but Wells didn’t dominate Nasirani.

Don't disagree with my over zealousness re. Wells however I think it's fair to say that the Rebels can well and truly be considered as overrated now. Wells' tackling is fantastic now I think it must be the Steve Tandy influence.

I suppose I just question how good Naisarani, Jones, Philip, Coleman and some of these other Rebels forwards in particular really are?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Don't disagree with my over zealousness re. Wells however I think it's fair to say that the Rebels can well and truly be considered as overrated now. Wells' tackling is fantastic now I think it must be the Steve Tandy influence.

I suppose I just question how good Naisarani, Jones, Philip, Coleman and some of these other Rebels forwards in particular really are?

I think those guys you just named minus Coleman were their best. Rebels poor season can be blamed on the other 12 blokes.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
I think those guys you just named minus Coleman were their best. Rebels poor season can be blamed on the other 12 blokes.

Fair call, I'm not a fan of Quade fullstop. And I wouldn't take Genia to the World Cup either, it's time to move on and bring through Powell, McDermott and Gordon.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Fair call, I'm not a fan of Quade fullstop. And I wouldn't take Genia to the World Cup either, it's time to move on and bring through Powell, McDermott and Gordon.

I was enjoying Quade's early season form this year but then he seemed to hit a wall. The selectors will not be pressured to include him now.
However, if the 5 Tests pre-RWC are treated as trials, he should get a go.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I was enjoying Quade's early season form this year but then he seemed to hit a wall. The selectors will not be pressured to include him now.
However, if the 5 Tests pre-RWC are treated as trials, he should get a go.
The team hit a wall, to be fair to him. As soon as teams learnt to put pressure on Genia and contain the flat forward runners the whole team came unstuck.

It's actually kind of unfortunate Quade's run at the Wallabies was scuppered by poor coaching.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The team hit a wall, to be fair to him. As soon as teams learnt to put pressure on Genia and contain the flat forward runners the whole team came unstuck.

It's actually kind of unfortunate Quade's run at the Wallabies was scuppered by poor coaching.

And probably down to his own patchy form just as much. And injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.