• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Perhaps. his reputation from when he was at the club in 2015 was pretty poor

Is anyone able to provide any kind of information at all on JOCs “personal reasons” for being permitted to cut and run early last time? It didn’t feel very kosher at the time.

Thorn has pushed two key elements that some fans have been impressed with - must be pro culture (allegations, unsubstantiated, re Cooper) and drugs (Hunt). It would be weird that Thorn ticks the boxes on these with JOC (James O'Connor).

Who knows, though. Perhaps he is starting to see that some of these things are not always compatible with the day job of an HC.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Hopefully. But isn’t that what he assured everyone last time too?
Having spent the last 3-4 years as a rugby nobody might help. Would be humbling riding the pine and asking your manager what your options and not being swamped with offers.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I hope we are paying bargain basement. I’d hate to see another high profile player sitting on the sidelines all season.

That look would be poor even with a bargain price.

I feel sorry for JOC (James O'Connor). I think we should allow him the opportunity to get past his dopey actions as a youth. It’s just we have been there and it didn’t really work.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
JOC (James O'Connor) is up there with Nick Kyrios, Brendan Favola and John Hopoate.

People who are given endless chances because they have talent, they are still immature and will let you down again and again and should be cast aside so someone else can have a chance.

Too many people are happy to give yet another chance because they claim to have moved on, or stopped drinking, got new friends etc

I think the Reds will sign him, only because it seems that for the last few years every time we have an option to say no for the good of the team we say yes.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't want JO'C. We've tried him before and it didn't work. If he can reclaim some of his talent and keep his head down then he'll be a great get. That's an impossibly large if though and I don't expect it to happen. But he's one of the most naturally gifted athletes the Wallabies have seen in the past decade, so we'll see.
Didn't it come to light the last time he was at the Reds he had a broken leg the whole time.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
That whole article seems like a troll on this forum - mentioning Reds targeting Te'o and then talking about the issues with signing JOC (James O'Connor). Maybe if we post something about Eales returning to captain next season it'll get a run on Fox Sports.

Reactions: dru

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If we pay unders on JOC (James O'Connor) it wouldn't be too bad. Tell him he can get the bulk of his money from RA with match payments.

I'm guessing Meaks isn't interested. Maybe the Rebels are going to re-sign him.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
There is no way in hell BT wil sign him. JOC (James O'Connor) showed ZERO loyalty to QLD as a kid, he can get stuffed, wouldn't pay that mercenary 1 cent.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Without assuming we will take from another Super Rugby team (Meakes, Hunt, Simone) - What other no.12's around the world would even come close to accepting the pay on offer that the Reds could afford (assuming no RA topup) AND be able to come close to making up for Kerevi?

I think we would be lucky to have him because beggers can't be choosers - and he seems to be better mentally, emotionally and physically as a professional and as a 12.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
ok so no real lingering issues then from players I'd imagine. Thats a huge turnover in 4 years. I wonder if AK (Andrew Kellaway) is staying?

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I'm for JOC (James O'Connor) just on the back that he seems to have changed his balance on life and is well grounded with his partner now. I think he's a guy who has always had good intentions of coming back to Queensland and being that sort of guy post his party phase.

In regards to him being here last time, well there were a couple of differing factors. Firstly the playing group itself was living a certain lifestyle led by some senior players which is far worse than the culture they have now. JOC (James O'Connor) is stepping into a more calm environment and frankly a more stable team.

Secondly the team is now actually half good and the pressure is diversified across a solid playing group and importantly a strong forward pack. I think for JOC (James O'Connor) to be successful, he needs to be given a clear task (i.e. position) in a nice simple environment and I believe the Reds can provide this for him.

The big issue is how he handles the media scrutiny, something he has greatly struggled with over the years

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To be fair to him - I do recall reports last time that he was a positive contributor to the team and there were no off field issues. Also, someone mentioned that he carried an injury for a good part of his time there and that contributed to his on field form.

Guys like Thurston, Ponting, Cooper, Fittler etc all had some pretty ordinary incidents early on their career and, anecdotally at least, the are now considered very positive role models.

Personally I have some pretty major reservations - but I’d imagine BT will do a pretty thorough due diligence before signing off on it.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)