• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So if JOC (James O'Connor) is signing with the Reds after their season is over does that enable him to go to the RWC? If Johnson has been pushing the signing it must be that they want him for RWC, whether that works out well for Qld in the long run might be different.

yes, makes him eligible as with To'omua and White. And he's a big chance of the RWC apparently. His versatility is very much valued in the touring squad, particularly for those 'lesser' games.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm not shooting the messenger Reg, but bugger me, that honestly is a bloody joke and so bloody disappointing. Sums up what the hell is wrong with rugby in this country. What a massive FU to guys smashing their guts out all season at home, AND to whichever young bloke is is missing out on a training contract or full contract in Brisbane next season.

Really great way to encourage young talent to stay put.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm not shooting the messenger Reg, but bugger me, that honestly is a bloody joke and so bloody disappointing. Sums up what the hell is wrong with rugby in this country. What a massive FU to guys smashing their guts out all season at home, AND to whichever young bloke is is missing out on a training contract or full contract in Brisbane next season.

I think the Reds, if anything, are overdoing it on youth retention and slots. Some experience goes a long way.

My amusement remains with Thorn accepting things on the back of [/repeats self]

B

Bobby Sands

The whole 'double standards outrage' is a bit over the top for mine.

On one hand we want improved culture and at the same time we want quality footballers.

Brad Thorn is looking to address both, and he cleaned house so to speak. Slipper took that on the chin and is in career best form.

JOC (James O'Connor) comes with high praise from Sale, both on and off the field, is from QLD and I can only assume is on a fairly moderate contract.

To me it is pretty sound roster management, especially if James is in the right frame of mind to stick within the Thorn protocol.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Yeah that's a bit weird, world cup i could see people (and me) disappointed, but young bloke's coming through, well if there good enough they will be there if not there's only so many places to go around. Should a guy not come back from Overseas to play super rugby, it's not like him and White lets say are that old they are 28 and could have a good 2-4 years left in them.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Ok so it would seem it is pretty much a done deal.

Scott Johnson very much leading the charge.

Apparently there has been a significant ("unheard of previously") level of due diligence on him and his coach Steve Diamond has strongly recommended him (provided RA all his stats this year etc). JOC (James O'Connor) is just very keen to give his all for Australian Rugby again, which is why Sale will let him go.

They've been using him as a distributor to get the ball in the hands of Marlon Yarde and Denny Solomona more. The Reds are going to have to come up with a new game plan because "give it to Kerevi" doesn't work when Kerevi isn't there. So thats a good sign as we have the likes of Petaia, Daugunu and Speight out wide. Definitely fits better with the Jim McKay approach. Plus Lucas is seemingly the favoured 10 option.

Anyway, I think we are going to have to get used to it. Both from a Wallaby perspective and Reds perspective.
What stats?

Pretty sure a lot of stats are available online for free to the average punter.

Is this private training stats? Seems a bit odd to me

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...t/news-story/bf70aaea485d7e0e4ff6fe8b65388008

So we get rid of Hunt related to Cocaine but would accept O'Connor?

If forgiveness is in the air then I would prefer we take Hunt back from the Tahs. Or Slipper back from the Brumbies.

But O'Connor hasn't abused Reds trust as far as I'm aware?? I must admit, I was keen as the next person to see the back of him. But his experience and versatility (at Soup Rugby level) is tres appealing. Oh please rugby gods have his head screwed on correctly.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Some great footage o his Insta of him doing some breathing exercises. Hopefully he brings that with him.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

But the talent isn't staying put. Heaps leaving for euro and yen post WC
Glad to see some quality players returning. Heaps of young talent in the Reds already with a huge loss of experienced heads.
I'm happy to see what JOC (James O'Connor) can bring this time.

B

Bobby Sands

But the talent isn't staying put. Heaps leaving for euro and yen post WC
Glad to see some quality players returning. Heaps of young talent in the Reds already with a huge loss of experienced heads.
I'm happy to see what JOC (James O'Connor) can bring this time.

I would also imagine that he is personally disappointed with his last stint and wants to contribute to QLD rugby as a former prodigal son who did his best work inter state. To some (especially those from interstate) this might seem unimportant, but kids in QLD, especially schoolboy stars, want to produce for the Reds if given the chance.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting story.

I’ve already posted twice my reservations, but on the flip side people have their faults and I love a good redemption story. Sure, some people never change but some do. In one sense, he may be a great example to younger guys as a bloke who has been through the wringer of life as a prodigious talent.

Skill wise he’d definitely be an enormous asset and I really can’t think of too many other available 12s that would be in his class.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I didn’t realise the cocaine incident was around the 2-3 year mark. Honestly felt like last year I remember reading about it.

I like the terminology I’ve heard from Turinuri on assessing players and making a decision on the “body of work” they’ve demonstrated. If the Sale coaches have positive things to say then I guess the time frame James has spent cleaning himself up starts to indicate that perhaps he has.

The Reds could give him a 6-12 month contract with an option of say another year or two which they can exercise this time next year. It gives them the opportunity to walk away and not pay a fortune if 2015 is repeated whilst giving James plenty of time to show the coaching and players he’s a changed man.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The whole 'double standards outrage' is a bit over the top for mine.

Not outrage, observation. Thorn made his bed with decisions that were questioned at the time and were warned as a dangerous precedence. His endorsing JOC (James O'Connor) is inconsistent and this on the whole "culture" that is meant to be high on Red/Thorn achievements.

I'm hopeful that Thorn is beginning to understand that the HC day job is not always compatible with bold statements on supposed "culture".

I'm happy for JOC (James O'Connor) and look forward to watching him in 2020.

B

Bobby Sands

Not outrage, observation. Thorn made his bed with decisions that were questioned at the time and were warned as a dangerous precedence. His endorsing JOC (James O'Connor) is inconsistent and this on the whole "culture" that is meant to be high on Red/Thorn achievements.

I'm hopeful that Thorn is beginning to understand that the HC day job is not always compatible with bold statements on supposed "culture".

I'm happy for JOC (James O'Connor) and look forward to watching him in 2020.

I think all decision in life are largely independent of each other.

B

Bobby Sands

For the life of me I can’t see how you get there, but that’s OK. We don’t have to agree on everything Red.

It just means all situations are different and because of that blanket interpretations rarely apply.

Even in a court of law, a precedent ruling only acts as a guide to reflect that all situations are unique.

Let’s just agree as a collective that if JOC (James O'Connor) brings his A game then its a good signing.