• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Would he actually be paying anything?

I would have thought high profile lawyers would be offering services for free, or reduced prices.

I really hope we see a "Rake" type lawyer represent him, could be fun

Given the entourage that accompanied Folau when he exited the Fair Work Commission today, there are plenty of people that will need to be paid.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
1 achievement

Came off the back of the reduction in Super Rugby Teams, a better measure of her success will be the 2019 result, granted it will be impacted being a World Cup year or significant legal costs or both. Legal costs attributable to poor contract construction and negotiation.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I read my newsletter last night and was quite happy with the content, excepting the last paragraph.

There is a lot to be happy about in Australian Rugby, none of it at the Pro level to be sure, but everywhere I have been over the last two years the game has been holding its own or growing slowly, and strongly in that growth. By that I mean the growth isn't flash in the pan, gone in the next week type involvement. The crowds at the country games I am going to are bigger than last year, yes they are just the Mum's, Dad's and Grandparents watching their kids/Husbands/Boyfriends/Wives and Girlfriends running around having a game, but it is testament to a sustained growth in participation. That is my completely subjective experience, but it is supported by the RA, so I am very happy about that.

The U20s played very well and went down in a cracker of a game. So spot on there.

The approach of RA to the Folau question remains a big big problem. When people/organisation has to expound on the virtues they have displayed in dealing with a matter it does nothing to support that assertion and everything to make people question it. That is made doubly worse when in general opinion of the people/organisation in question is very suspect. Better to have said something like - 'as all would no doubt be aware the matter surrounding Israel Folau is to proceed to arbitration, and it would be inappropriate to make formal comment on this matter until due process has been completed.' To make affirmative statements of one's own actions when they are being challenged doesn't reinforce the position.

I'd also say that the responses of many here and elsewhere go to script. I would wish that people on both sides of the argument would step back a bit and assess what is actually said, and not discard everything and all initiatives because it comes from head office. The Folau saga along with the associated contracting, RUPA bullshit aside, there is a lot in that letter to be happy about.
Tomorrow is Saturday, Rugby day, - I am going to the local club's round of matches this week for my full day of Rugby. That is something to be happy about. As long as RA don't %$##$% that up they could disappear up their own &^%$ tomorrow I don't care.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Has anyone seen Raelene attend a match that could possibly be called grass roots.

I have been to numerous Shute games involving Uni and haven't seen her.

Anyone seen her at at School game, Subbies, country, NRC ?

Bill Pulver did get out and about.

I am sure she will make an appearance at a Bled match and the World Cup. And if the Brums make it through this week. Just interested if anyone here has sighted her further down the levels.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Has anyone seen Raelene attend a match that could possibly be called grass roots.

I have been to numerous Shute games involving Uni and haven't seen her.

Anyone seen her at at School game, Subbies, country, NRC ?

Bill Pulver did get out and about.

I am sure she will make an appearance at a Bled match and the World Cup. And if the Brums make it through this week. Just interested if anyone here has sighted her further down the levels.

I get what you're saying, but really, what difference does it make? In the greater scheme of things, like it or not, Aus rugby is funded top-down. We're busted from a funding point of view, in many ways, the latest surplus notwithstanding. Ultimately, whether rugby survives in its current iteration or not depends on securing enough money at the top end - broadcast rights / sponsorship / professional gates.
Of course, the visual of the CEO at club rugby is great, I agree, but in reality, the real game is elsewhere. And, let's face it, she inherited a shit-show. I actually think her hands are pretty full right now.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Would he actually be paying anything?

I would have thought high profile lawyers would be offering services for free, or reduced prices.

I really hope we see a "Rake" type lawyer represent him, could be fun
source.gif

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think probably unfair to say Castle made it bigger shit show....there has been some improvements but yes we all know for professional rugby to thrive and survive in this country we need massive transformational change and not change around the edges as evidence clearly shows professional rugby model is broken. Read crowd and fan interest in super rugby and next tier down ie. NRC.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Raelene was down at the Vic Masters event about a month ago. Over 35s and over 45s "Wannabees" vs "Old Blacks" on AAMI Park before the Rebels game. Dunno if you call that particular event Grassroots, but I don't think there's a scene further from the professional or "pathways" than Masters Rugby is.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There are no quick fixes, that is for sure and certain. There are no potential Messiahs in the wings, either, champing at the bit to take over and turn things around: although with the right ideas and willingness to accept the realities of the game's traditions and governance here and internationally Twiggy could do something worthwhile. If he is in for the long haul, and is willing to put an awful lot of money in.

It has taken us a long time to get to where we are now. Arguably since 1908, actually.

We have a few pockets of strength, surrounded by vast deserts of total indifference to our sport. We need to build on our strengths, which are the international standing of the game, and the "amateur" culture that we have inherited and which still adds an element of appeal (IMHO).

We need to cherry pick our use of resources to build on our few strengths, and we will have to do so skilfully and ruthlessly. And with great organisational discipline.

Otherwise our slow decline is bound to continue.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
You keep saying that, but what evidence is there of that claim?

Crowd numbers so embarrassing that they are not released and have a 'TBA' against them.

https://www.austadiums.com/sport/comp_results.php?sid=5

Hasn't brought Andrew Forrest into the tent and others are seeking his patronage.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...l/news-story/4a2b99808cfec1ca2b751705e3f6ad64

Yeah, this I don't believe has come off and its always best to discuss it with the other party first rather than finding out in the media.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...x/news-story/37bec1e2bdecc5a8cd84d369cfe410c6

Junior weight and age released under her watch initially looked good but given you had to exceed both and weight it has changed nothing and achieved nothing.

There is the obvious contract negotiation failings

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ulnerable-in-folau-storm-20190515-p51npe.html

There maybe one indirect thing she has done to slightly advantage Australian rugby, destroying one NRL club's ability to chase rugby talent.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Crowd numbers so embarrassing that they are not released and have a 'TBA' against them.

https://www.austadiums.com/sport/comp_results.php?sid=5

Hasn't brought Andrew Forrest into the tent and others are seeking his patronage.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...l/news-story/4a2b99808cfec1ca2b751705e3f6ad64

Yeah, this I don't believe has come off and its always best to discuss it with the other party first rather than finding out in the media.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...x/news-story/37bec1e2bdecc5a8cd84d369cfe410c6

Junior weight and age released under her watch initially looked good but given you had to exceed both and weight it has changed nothing and achieved nothing.

There is the obvious contract negotiation failings

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ulnerable-in-folau-storm-20190515-p51npe.html

There maybe one indirect thing she has done to slightly advantage Australian rugby, destroying one NRL club's ability to chase rugby talent.

So, she made all that happen? OK. I get it, you want to blame here for everything, and conveniently ignore the fact these things are mostly endemic problems that have been declining for ages.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
So, she made all that happen? OK. I get it, you want to blame here for everything, and conveniently ignore the fact these things are mostly endemic problems that have been declining for ages.

I think you are missing the point

- bringing Andrew Forrest into the tent, had 18 months to make progress on that. Sins of the past are not preventing here from doing that.
- weight & height issues for junior rugby could change, review, nothing in the past is lead in the saddlebags on that one
- broadcasting school rugby a poor negotiating tactic when you potential partner finds out about this thru the media
- the contract issue in the media happened entirely under her watch
- crowd figures granted sins of the past impact here, but they are getting worse, the slide has not stopped

Also they shouldn't go too hard on people contributing money to Israel Folau (which is not tax deductible).

Rugby's star system came under scrutiny recently when Fairfax rugby writer and Offsiders panellist Georgina Robinson revealed high-profile players were being paid partly through the Australian Rugby Foundation (ARF), which allowed businesses to make private tax refundable contributions to player salaries.
RA robustly defended this practice, which it claimed was commonplace across Australian sport, although the ARF payments are markedly different than the NRL's third-party agreements, which are (at least notionally) transparent promotional deals that don't raise questions about unseen access and influence.

S

Show-n-go

On the flip side what positives has she done? I genuinely don’t know what can be attributed to her?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I think you are missing the point

- bringing Andrew Forrest into the tent, had 18 months to make progress on that. Sins of the past are not preventing here from doing that.
-

Can I ask what "tent" we should be bringing Forrest in to? The failing Super Rugby tent which would be something we wouldn't want to squander his resources on? His GRR that is still yet to become more than showcase games at a lower level so it's not exactly the bandwagon we want to jump on?

Noting Rugby landscape has been significant upheaval with SANZAAR still working on TV deals and the global competition talk; all of which have an influence on future deals, she has had conversations with Forrest and both RA and the NZRU have publicly stated they are happy to work with him (and signed an MOU I believe).

I am certainly not defending her but I am trying to understand what expectations you have? Are you sure they don't already have some agreements?

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
So Castle is responsible for the Rebels or AAMI Park not publishing their crowd figures?

Oooookaaaaaaay...

Slim nobody leaves good news unpublished, that's the point. Increasing crowd numbers good, falling crowd numbers bad its no more complex than that.

Slim, a lot things haven't been published in relation to Australian Rugby, including KPMG's report into where all the money went to at the Brumbies from the sale of their headquarters from some years ago. And so you don't have to go to the trouble of pointing out the obvious I acknowledge this predates Raelene Castles tenure.

Wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to raise that again.