• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
Didn’t see any of these boys in church or art class either in this RUGBY video.

They place massive importance on balance there, which is in the tradition of the best schools in Europe. It’s probably why Nudgee has produced the third highest number of Rhodes Scholarships in the state which is based in both sport, charity and academia.

Can’t wait to see their official rugby launch video.

fyi - Nudgee's last Rhodes Scholar was 35 years ago!

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
No, Stephen Daley was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship in 1995 and Justin Hartley a Fulbright Scholarship in 2013.

They won a few rugby premierships also since then and I thought this was supposed to be a rugby forum.
Dom Shipperley did pretty well achieving an OP1 whilst at Nudgee playing 1sXV and making the Australian Schoolboys team in 2008.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Impressed with this rollout. Some good combinations here.

Queensland U18s Academy side to face Rebels U18s in Victoria:

1. Harry Vella – St.Joseph’s Nudgee College
2. Jake Tierney – Brisbane Boys College
3. Zane Nonggorr – The Southport School
4. George Gibson – Brisbane Boys College
5. Wilson Blyth – The Southport School
6. Matthew Englebrecht – University of Queensland Rugby Club
7. Will Roach – University of Queensland Rugby Club (VC)
8. Titi Nofoagatotoa – St.Joseph’s Nudgee College
9. Kalani Thomas – Ipswich Grammar School
10. Jake Pappin – Brothers Rugby Club
11. Glen Vaihu – St. Joseph’s Gregory Tce
12. Christian Krause – Ipswich Grammar School
13. Josh Flook – Brothers Rugby Club (C)
14. Jojo Fifita – The Southport School
15. Dion Samuela – The Southport School

Reserves
16. Zack Crothers – Easts Rugby Club
17. John Downes – GPS Rugby Club
18. Tim Faingaanuku – Toowoomba Grammar School
19. Charlie Hayes – St.Joseph’s Nudgee College
20. Keenan Timu – Marsden State High School
21. Finn Hearn – St.Joseph’s Nudgee College
22. Kaleb Ngamanu – The Southport School
23. Mac Grealy – Downlands College

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Strong squad but I could pick a team of non-Academy that would smash this group. Some clear weaknesses in certain positions as a result of lazy historical selection biases over many years.

If you were truly benchmarking these guys, you would line up a game against a QLD Barbarians team made up of 1/3 Colts, 1/3 GPS and the balance from AIC and regional QLD. Game situations reveal the boys who train like Tarzan but play like Jane...

The most dominant premiership team in the AIC in at least 15 years does not have one representative in either QLD Schools or the U18 Academy team and there is only one AIC player (John Downes) from 2018.

This clearly illustrates a myopic QLD GPS bias. Meanwhile in NSW, 5 GPS teams were picked with the top teams playing selection trials against CAS and CHS. The 4th and 5th team played trials against Sydney and NSW country regional selections (NSWJRU I and II). For all the noise that RA and the QRU make about development pathways and methodology, they still have the lazy GPS selection filter on in this state.

Great fat lot of good that did QLD I and II last year, yet the same names are appearing.

From a good distance, I don't get it nor understand why the Waratah system seems on the surface to have far more rigour and thoroughness (read fairness) to it.

Hope to see the QLD selectors at Colts games today because you know they'll be swarming at the GPS games next term.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Would like to see your team DF.

I thought more boys out of school might make this team , but there are not many 18 year olds who stand out running around in Colts 1, most are 19 year olds .

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Academy game streamed tomorrow 2pm on rugby.com.au

Just had a look online where they are playing the game , things look pretty bleak if the Brimbank Rugby Club is the best available.

spud

Peter Burge (5)
Strong squad but I could pick a team of non-Academy that would smash this group. Some clear weaknesses in certain positions as a result of lazy historical selection biases over many years.

If you were truly benchmarking these guys, you would line up a game against a QLD Barbarians team made up of 1/3 Colts, 1/3 GPS and the balance from AIC and regional QLD. Game situations reveal the boys who train like Tarzan but play like Jane.

The most dominant premiership team in the AIC in at least 15 years does not have one representative in either QLD Schools or the U18 Academy team and there is only one AIC player (John Downes) from 2018.

This clearly illustrates a myopic QLD GPS bias. Meanwhile in NSW, 5 GPS teams were picked with the top teams playing selection trials against CAS and CHS. The 4th and 5th team played trials against Sydney and NSW country regional selections (NSWJRU I and II). For all the noise that RA and the QRU make about development pathways and methodology, they still have the lazy GPS selection filter on in this state.

Great fat lot of good that did QLD I and II last year, yet the same names are appearing.

From a good distance, I don't get it nor understand why the Waratah system seems on the surface to have far more rigour and thoroughness (read fairness) to it.

Hope to see the QLD selectors at Colts games today because you know they'll be swarming at the GPS games next term.

Can you please name your non-Academy team.

S

Sgt Slaughter

This would be an interesting match up as a Non Academy U18 Barbarian Side:

1 - Jaiden Christian (BSHS)
2 - John Paul Tominiko (Colts 1 -SB)
3 - Aidan Latter (Colts 1 - UQ)
4 - Eric Pountain (Colts 1 - UQ)
5 - Taine Roiri (Colts 1 - SB)
6 - Helaman Swerling (BondColts1)
7 - Alapati Matua (BSHS)
8 - Ryan Kinbacher (Colts 1 - UQ)
9 - Mikaele Finau (Colts 3 - Logan)
10 - Zach Hogan (Colts 1 - UQ)
11 - Roger Maliu (Colts 1 - SB)
12 - Francis Pona (Colts 1 - SB)
13 - Mitchell Bell (Colts 1 - UQ)
14 - Grant Tuisamoa (BSHS)
15 - Tau Tuisamoa (Colts 1 - Souths)

Pinetree

Frank Nicholson (4)
This would be an interesting match up as a Non Academy U18 Barbarian Side:

1 - Jaiden Christian (BSHS)
2 - John Paul Tominiko (Colts 1 -SB)
3 - Aidan Latter (Colts 1 - UQ)
4 - Eric Pountain (Colts 1 - UQ)
5 - Taine Roiri (Colts 1 - SB)
6 - Helaman Swerling (BondColts1)
7 - Alapati Matua (BSHS)
8 - Ryan Kinbacher (Colts 1 - UQ)
9 - Mikaele Finau (Colts 3 - Logan)
10 - Zach Hogan (Colts 1 - UQ)
11 - Roger Maliu (Colts 1 - SB)
12 - Francis Pona (Colts 1 - SB)
13 - Mitchell Bell (Colts 1 - UQ)
14 - Grant Tuisamoa (BSHS)
15 - Tau Tuisamoa (Colts 1 - Souths)
Sorry SS your team would get smashed..think JP might be too old as well

S

Sgt Slaughter

Sorry SS your team would get smashed..think JP might be too old as well

I must admit the U18 side did look pretty good yesterday, it didn’t gel til the 2nd half but when it did it was good. Full credit to those boys and all that are a part of it, but I think smashed is a bit far fetched I bet you don’t even know who half of these lads are lol - I guess we will never know.

On a side note when you add Will Roach and Matt Engelbrenht you could say UQ have a very young Colts 1 team

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)

If you were truly benchmarking these guys, you would line up a game against a QLD Barbarians team made up of 1/3 Colts, 1/3 GPS and the balance from AIC and regional QLD. Game situations reveal the boys who train like Tarzan but play like Jane.

I'm guessing MCA would have had a few reps in the QLD Schools Teams had they decided to let their boys make themselves available - but they didn't

But realistically , where do you think this year's MCA team could have / should have had representation for their players ? Who would they have replaced ?

I actually do agree with some of your sentiments , however , you are way off base with the GPS selection bias .

Historically , and even still , ambitious Schools that want to jock it up - have used this to attract enrolments from the faithful as to "where you got to be " . And , its sort of acted as a Combine Harvester at all the Junior State Champs that brought kids to the big smoke .

Perhaps as it relates Rugby there have been issues of demarcation built up over time as the Games Administrators realise that they can't afford to run Development Officers on the ground but as a governing or representative body they still have to find a way to fly the flag in remote and non core markets and placate these stakeholders

If anything , the perception of the GPS Selection bias and either a conscious or an unconscious dismissal of the role it has played in consolidating junior talent , has led to a strong desire in the last 12 to 18 months to deconstruct it - at least to a degree that brings it back to some pre-determined mean just to keep everyone happy , so much so , that ongoing , there is likely no clear or overwhelming sporting need for a kid and his family to get uprooted just to get into a good program at a GPS School

This deconstruct or lessening is live and happening in the here and now . It's what the new buzz speak refers to as "a fluid" situation

There was no better example of this than the recent State Championships debacle that has been discussed ad nauseum on this thread

I'm wondering whether all the various League constituents are hopping mad and having a sook about selection bias around the 8 x Palm Beach High boys that were selected for the U18 QLD State of Origin Team this year ?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Yeah.

I think I'm waiting the longest though Sarge.

I'm waiting on Bob Rugger's Dark Horses in the IGS pack. :D

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm guessing MCA would have had a few reps in the QLD Schools Teams had they decided to let their boys make themselves available - but they didn't

But realistically , where do you think this year's MCA team could have / should have had representation for their players ? Who would they have replaced ?

I actually do agree with some of your sentiments , however , you are way off base with the GPS selection bias .
GO, just a couple of things.

Firstly, I think you'll find that @ D'Lite Full is a SPC man, or at least not from MCA.

Secondly, I can't see that there's anyone from MCA's First XV this year who should have made the Academy side either, particularly when you bear in mind that MCA's 2019 team had only one boy who is turning 18 this year and that two of their most talented are U16's.

Under the old Queensland Schools format a couple of MCA players would probably have been selected among the top 44 schoolboys, but in my view this wasn't a vintage year for exceptional individuals at MCA.

Having said that, the MCA coaches got every last drop of performance out of their squad in 2019, very well drilled and conditioned, and they put together a great AIC season.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Totally agree G

I will say though .......I don't think Campbell Moller gets enough attention / credit .

Very very good player . A throwback in a lot of ways . A hard and direct Herbert-esque type of Centre.

Pinetree

Frank Nicholson (4)
I must admit the U18 side did look pretty good yesterday, it didn’t gel til the 2nd half but when it did it was good. Full
credit to those boys and all that are a part of it, but I think
smashed is a bit far fetched I bet you don’t even know
who half of these lads are lol - I guess we will

On a side note when you add Will Roach and Matt Engelbrenht you could say UQ have a very young Colts 1 team

Yep know most of these boys and there are rreasons why most have not seen higher honours but you are right smashed is a strong word...

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Totally agree G

I will say though ...I don't think Campbell Moller gets enough attention / credit .

Very very good player . A throwback in a lot of ways . A hard and direct Herbert-esque type of Centre.

Yep, agree with your thought on Moller, country boy with size and strength who runs good lines.

I think that Campbell's the kind of guy who might have made the Qld 2 side under the old system, not that I think he's too worried about missing out as the boys are straight into the rugby league season now with the Confro carnival starting today in Bundaberg and the inaugural AIC comp kicking off in a few weeks.

It will be interesting to see if the introduction of league to AIC attracts enrolments from boys who might otherwise have accepted scholarships from GPS schools. Probably not the top tier talents, but maybe the next level down?

For example, Hayden Lammon from Ayr started Year 10 at MCA this year and he was the only AIC boy selected in the Qld U15 (Maroon) league side back in May.

Maybe the fact that Hayden could play both rugby codes for the school had an influence in his arrival at MCA?