• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

THP3

Bob McCowan (2)
A fantastic weekend of rugby at the U16s schools comp this weekend. Good fast rugby was played by all the teams. Congrats to GPS 1sts on their win it was a great game of footy down to the wire. Well done to all the teams involved.

Steve Jane23

Stan Wickham (3)
Well done to the numerous CAS boys on making NSW I & II.

Special mention should be made of Tas Smith (Cranbrook I > CAS I > NSW II), who hobbled off Knox No.1 on Tuesday evening (assisted by two physios) after being steamrolled by a rampaging Tolu Koula for GPS I, right on half-time. Heavily strapped on one leg and looking slightly groggy, he bravely returned to the field and played out the entire second half - further justifying his selection for higher honours.

Good luck to the NSW players from all associations for their coming matches.

One of the bigger hits I've seen in my time, thought the young fella was out for the count! Then again, maybe he was :/

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Any standout performers from the 16’s today? Did the Riverview 10/12 play in the 16’s or opens?

Will88, Nice to hear from you again.
Yes the view 10/12 and Kings 13 and 8 all played today, an epic game from both teams.
Could easily have gone either way, there was some very serious talent on display today.

Next years Opens will be brilliant, but in 2021, when all these boys are in year 12, WOW, time will tell.

ZHC

Peter Burge (5)
CAS were their own worse enemy today. GPS dominant in patches, probably 40%, CAS 60%. But due to handling errors and players underestimating their size, and at other time skill, they bombed at least three tries.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
CAS were their own worse enemy today. GPS dominant in patches, probably 40%, CAS 60%. But due to handling errors and players underestimating their size, and at other time skill, they bombed at least three tries.

Agree ZHC,

CAS missed several opportunities and the CAS forward pack, particularly in the scrum was very dominant.
I thought the game was played at real speed, which forces errors, and probably the thing that can often go unnoticed was the defense of both teams. There were 6 tries scored, 3 each, 2 were individual skill and the other 4 were pick and drives from close range.
Given the talent in the GPS back line there was not 1 tear away try,and they were hitting the line with big bodies and at real pace, the CAS defense was very committed.Every other team that faced this GPS back line got destroyed. Likewise the GPS forward packs defense was very strong when the enormous CAS pack was rumbling up the park.

The result could have gone either way but overall I thought it was a serious game of footy and showcased the strength of this age group, albeit there were a number of boys not playing who would have slotted into the GPS team for sure, which further highlights the quality of this age group.

Keen to hear others viewpoints, Bolivia in particular!

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Smith has always been a very courageous player. That said, these comments make me hope proper head injury protocols were followed.

Snort - I think you will find that the physios were unsighted - Koula had fielded a kick and was running the ball back into the thick of things. He stepped off his left and went infield, then lined up Smith at full pace and ran over the top of him. By that stage Koula had players from both teams on either side of him, who I imagine were blocking the line of sight from the physio tent.

The physios/doctor at Knox that night are very particular about possible concussion, so would have followed protocol to the letter. They would, of course, have been guided by what Smith told them when he came off.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Just to follow up here..​
Cranbrook vs Joeys in the 1980s'​
The scholars have gotten back to me.​
1981- NO GAME​
1982- NO GAME​
1983- NO GAME​
1984- NO GAME​
1985- Joeys won 14-7​
1986- Cranbrook won 6-4​
1987- NO GAME​
1988- NO GAME​
1989- Joeys won 25-6​
What was interesting Joeys play Knox, Barker and mostly Aloyisus every year in the 80's during trials.​

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just to follow up here..
Cranbrook vs Joeys in the 1980s'
The scholars have gotten back to me.
1981- NO GAME
1982- NO GAME
1983- NO GAME
1984- NO GAME
1985- Joeys won 14-7
1986- Cranbrook won 6-4
1987- NO GAME
1988- NO GAME
1989- Joeys won 25-6
What was interesting Joeys play Knox, Barker and mostly Aloysius every year in the 80's during trials.

I was at St Pius in 84, we played Cranbrook in the waratah shield semi-final and lost 6-4. They went onto play St eddies (Ricky stuart was in that side) in the final. If my memory is correct, they played at the SCG prior to the 3rd Bledisloe (in the days when it was a 3 pm kick off). Cranbrook had 3 australian school boys in this side, however they lost 14-4. The following year we played Joeys, but had also played them on a least one other occasion whilst I was there. Cranbrook were also CAS champs in 84 and 85.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I was at St Pius in 84, we played Cranbrook in the waratah shield semi-final and lost 6-4. They went onto play St eddies (Ricky stuart was in that side) in the final. If my memory is correct, they played at the SCG prior to the 3rd Bledisloe (in the days when it was a 3 pm kick off). Cranbrook had 3 australian school boys in this side, however they lost 14-4. The following year we played Joeys, but had also played them on a least one other occasion whilst I was there. Cranbrook were also CAS champs in 84 and 85.

Yes, !984 to 1986 was a good period for Cranbrook. They came close again in 1986, but lost to a very good Trinity side.

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes, !984 to 1986 was a good period for Cranbrook. They came close again in 1986, but lost to a very good Trinity side.

Doesn't surprise me. I actually remember the TRINITY side. We played them in 85 they had a massive centre ( he had a greek name) who was hard to stop and was in year 10 or 11. I think his brother was also in the team.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

I remember watching Cranbrook that year play TAS up at Armidale. They won 18-3 against a strong TAS side, I believe they also beat Kings that year as well, I think the score was 20-13 to Cranbrook. Yes, I remember seeing the score while watching TV during the Test Match. I also remember Michael Hawker Delivering the worst display of tactical kicking ever. Had he feed the Backline we would have won the game.

Bolivia

Herbert Moran (7)
Just to follow up here..​

Cranbrook vs Joeys in the 1980s'​

The scholars have gotten back to me.​

1981- NO GAME​

1982- NO GAME​

1983- NO GAME​

1984- NO GAME​

1985- Joeys won 14-7​

1986- Cranbrook won 6-4​

1987- NO GAME​

1988- NO GAME​

1989- Joeys won 25-6​

What was interesting Joeys play Knox, Barker and mostly Aloyisus every year in the 80's during trials.​
Hi Joker
I stand corrected about 85 & 86. I must have had them around the wrong way - time has obviously caught up with me?! Either way, I was right about Cranbrook beating Joeys!!
In 1987 Cranbrook definitely played Joeys - It is probably in your records as playing Joeys 2nds & the 1st's played St Pius. However, I know Brook played a mix of both - likewise St Pius.
Glad that's cleared up.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Hi Joker
I stand corrected about 85 & 86. I must have had them around the wrong way - time has obviously caught up with me?! Either way, I was right about Cranbrook beating Joeys!!
In 1987 Cranbrook definitely played Joeys - It is probably in your records as playing Joeys 2nds & the 1st's played St Pius. However, I know Brook played a mix of both - likewise St Pius.
Glad that's cleared up.

Bolivia,

Have a look a my post 1299 re the 16s rep game, interested to hear your balanced thoughts.