• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Raise $2.2 million in sponsorship (not a donation) from these cashed up businesses over the next week, (the other side did it from less well-resourced individuals in a little over 48 hours) and a lot of people including myself who believe Rugby Australia have handled this poorly, will have food for thought and will be questioning their stance.

What, have the well-connected board of Rugby Australia actually do something proactive and use their connections for fundraising? You're kidding, right?

Seriously, I remember Alan Jones asking Cameron Clyne why he wasn't doing just that during the height of the Force axing when the financial state of Australian rugby was front and centre. That was over two years ago. I can't see them getting off their backsides now.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Where do you actually think that $2.2 million has come from, Kenny? I'd wager a testicle that very little of it comes from "average Joe's".

I think the ACL made an initial $100k donation, and the rest of it was donated by about 20,000 other individuals.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If there's anything more tacky than a multimillionaire publically fundraising for his own benefit it's got to be an organisation with $120m of revenue each year and $20m in the bank doing the same thing to sort out a contractual dispute

Thank god these directors have a bit more sense than some on here.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
If there's anything more tacky than a multimillionaire publically fundraising for his own benefit it's got to be an organisation with $120m of revenue each year and $20m in the bank doing the same thing to sort out a contractual dispute

Thank god these directors have a bit more sense than some on here.

Let me clarify, Rugby Australia should be out there selling sponsorship not seeking donations. The sponsors get something in return, contracts are exchanges its a business deal with something in return.

If the CEO and Directors are overseeing a well run operation that has made a courageous stand, opted for the hard decision over the easy one, is it then unreasonable that there would be more organisations wanting to associate with Australian Rugby via sponsorship, given its principled stand.

To me this is where the rubber hits the road, in the whole Folau drama, for Rugby Australia.

Raelene and Cameron need to hit the phones tomorrow, maybe Peter Fitzsimmons and Liz Ellis can lend a hand as well.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
In an ideal world, sure, except trying to "sell" Australian Rugby to sponsors at the moment is like like going door to door with a wet turd in your hand.........
Product not winning - check; fewer eyeballs on TV and at games - check; plenty of publicity of the kind you don't want - check.
Hard sell, that one, unfortunately.
I doubt they've had no discussions about it, though.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Have a look at the Australian Rugby Foundation, they do exactly that.

Fund the Schoolboys tour, Indigenous programs, women's rugby, outreach, a few other odds and ends.
And topping up high performance salaries, including, as it happens, not funding Izzy's latest contract

while the Salteri family of Transfield fame funded Folau's last deal until his 2018 Instagram comment saying homosexuals were destined for hell.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...e-pocock-and-folau-deals-20190612-p51wyx.html

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
David Gallop is leaving FFA at the end of the year.

Tis he worth considering.

Widely condemned by the leaguies for shortchanging the game on broadcasting rights. Widely considered to have been Rupert's man in the NRL. Presumably he was Frank Lowy's man in soccer. Who will be his patron in our game?

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Widely condemned by the leaguies for shortchanging the game on broadcasting rights.

[quote="wamberal, post: 1079710, member:

Who is the expert at Rugby Australia in Broadcast rights and media. There's a real estate expert, surgeon, plenty of bankers, a paper merchant and general hangers on.

None with legal qualifications either, which would have been helpful.

A CEO's experience and resume needs to fill the gaps in your Board experience. There is not a single CEO on this earth that could cover the gaps of the current Rugby Australia Board.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
David Gallop is leaving FFA at the end of the year.

Tis he worth considering.

We really need someone with marketing expertise. The game is being sold badly and as a result no one is buying it.

Its an impossible task, as even the best marketers can do FA if the cupboards are bare.

Best we can hope for is a Twiggy Forrest takeover and a whole reset with a domestic comp as the centerpiece.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

I don't agree much with Peter Fitz but this is a good tweet.

Have a look at the team lists from 1988 and the point he is making.

Note the Randwick team with no less than 3 Wallaby coaches playing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is the point he is making? That we should just be focusing on club footy?

That was 1988 when the sport was amateur (except for Italy ironically). You do know how the sport became professional don't you?

I maintain one of the biggest parties to blame is the players of the time (1995/96) and their greed in demanding so much of the Murdoch money. Originally they wanted 100% of the money and they kicked up a stink when they originally ended up with 90%. Imagine in they took 70% and RA could invest 30% into the growth of the game.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
What was the scheduling then as well? If it was club rugby, some appearances for state, and then a not as heavy Wallabies schedule, of course there'd be Wallabies playing club rugby more often.

Sure it's good for the club, but with the current scheduling of Super Rugby, Wallabies etc, do you really want to see our Wallabies playing most of the year if they play club rugby on a regular basis and wear themselves down?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If only we knew then, what we know now about the importance of investing in grass roots.

That was just one of many opportunities squandered by the suits in charge.

The problem we have now, is those missed opportunities that have banked up over the past two decades, have put the game here in perilous waters.

I can’t see any upside.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
If only we knew then, what we know now about the importance of investing in grass roots.

That was just one of many opportunities squandered by the suits in charge.

The problem we have now, is those missed opportunities that have banked up over the past two decades, have put the game here in perilous waters.

I can’t see any upside.

Sadly, some did know, with many ideas floated coupled with predictions often nay very often supported by detailed analysis. However warning where not only ignored, not only laughed at, not only openly ridiculed, but the hostility to anyone who questioned and suggested otherwise was very loud.

Many left and moved on to other codes.

In so many ways, we have been our own worst enemy, and Peter Fitz was IMO [at the time] one of the worst at derailing things need urgent change to a totally different direction

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
What is the point he is making? That we should just be focusing on club footy?

That was 1988 when the sport was amateur (except for Italy ironically). You do know how the sport became professional don't you?

I maintain one of the biggest parties to blame is the players of the time (1995/96) and their greed in demanding so much of the Murdoch money. Originally they wanted 100% of the money and they kicked up a stink when they originally ended up with 90%. Imagine in they took 70% and RA could invest 30% into the growth of the game.

A bit unfair Reg. The money being thrown around by WRC was a lot more than offered to the many blokes who stayed loyal. They most certainly were not all mercenaries though we all know who did the dirty at the time so we cannot tar everyone with the same brush.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A bit unfair Reg. The money being thrown around by WRC was a lot more than offered to the many blokes who stayed loyal. They most certainly were not all mercenaries though we all know who did the dirty at the time so we cannot tar everyone with the same brush.

RUPA (or the iteration they were at the time) were leading the negotiation. They went out of their way to keep the players informed of what was going on. They knew what the deal was.