• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Money is probably an issue, but i agree.

I don't agree with that at all. The Reds who were/are the most cash strapped of the the super clubs hired one of the best kicking coaches in the world.

Even when things weren't dire financially, the Super clubs and ARU did not specifically hire a kicking coach. I distinctly remember seeing a video of JOC (James O'Connor) and Quade using Skype to phone a kicking coach.

Hell, Australian Rugby could probably get away with having 4 coaches spread across the Wallabies and Super teams. More importantly, they can then be used to assist at club and school levels as well. So it's not a matter of keeping them busy either.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't agree with that at all. The Reds who were/are the most cash strapped of the the super clubs hired one of the best kicking coaches in the world.

Even when things weren't dire financially, the Super clubs and ARU did not specifically hire a kicking coach. I distinctly remember seeing a video of JOC (James O'Connor) and Quade using Skype to phone a kicking coach.

Hell, Australian Rugby could probably get away with having 4 coaches spread across the Wallabies and Super teams. More importantly, they can then be used to assist at club and school levels as well. So it's not a matter of keeping them busy either.
I'm mostly talking about junior pathways. etc.

Once they get to Super/Test level it's too late to be teaching them to kick. 90% of what they learn should happen before they get to the highest levels of professional rugby.

Byrne has done fuck all for us.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I dunno -
I reckon our skill levels have improved significantly in most things apart from kicking. The problem is that they were pretty bad previously. I only really have a peripheral view of this, but from what I could tell, for a a long period there was next to no focus on skills at junior levels. I remember attending a number of different coaching forums and the common trait looked for in terms of individual backline skill was how many players could they trample in school boys footy. The only passing requirement was - can you pass it to the big guy who can trample over people, unless you were the big guy in which case there was very little consideration to teaching them to pass. 5/8s were often primarily ball runners so that there were less passes required to get the ball to them. 1 dimensional centres were fine as their two jobs were either carry heavy or tackle the other teams big runner.

Likewise, game strategy revolves around getting the ball to the two or three big guys and retaining possession for 100 phases.

That may seem like an exaggeration - but from my perspective that seemed pretty close to the truth. It seems very unfair to say, but our golden era was largely based on high retention, power based football (although a lot of the individual players were still quite skilful) but it seems to me that we got caught up with our success and never tried to evolve.

The good news is that there are a whole heap of individuals and groups of ex players across the country now who are quite focused on giving back and addressing this issue - often at their own expense - but there is a mountain to climb and they are really just leaving base camp. I do believe improvement is evident though, but the opposition isn’t standing still.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Does anyone actually believe this Aus side will win a RWC match through a superior kicking game?

So why are we spending so much time worrying about what we don't have instead of working to our strengths and developing plans to try to hide our weaknesses

We don't need superior kicking to win. But to work on your last point, we can reduce our weakness (of exiting our 22) by picking anyone but Foley at 10.

It's probably a 50/50 Lilo or Foley at 10 anyways, none really offering anything over the other in attack in current form so you might as well reduce our weakness by selecting the better kicker.

Bit of a different story at 9 and 15 as the options all offer something different on attack and defence.

Reactions: TSR

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think most people in the game would be wise to ignore this nonsense.

Pretty sure fans would rather win, than spend 80 minutes watching our boys get tackled behind the gain-line by a rush defense in our own 22.

Jake White at the Brumbies proved this to be true. Pretty sure every Brumbies fan including myself was impressed by his coaching time even if it meant a new style of play and a game or two of end-to-end kicking rugby.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Didn't they lose the final scoring more trys than the French but missing goals???

General kicking =/= goal kicking. We don't really seem to have an issue with coaching goal kicking: look at how much better Foley was after he spent a while practicing in 2013.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
General kicking =/= goal kicking. We don't really seem to have an issue with coaching goal kicking: look at how much better Foley was after he spent a while practicing in 2013.

Sorry realised after the post we were talking about general kicking, however i think we do have a problem with both

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'd love to know what was the secret to Samu's skill improvement. I'd suggest it was a combo of Jim McKay and Sir Dave Aldred but who knows?
I know his improved his skill, but he is a perfect example of a big guy running over people, even better he does that at adult level. Hopefully he progresses not regresses in Japan, it might be easy for him to fall back into just running over people.

Status
Not open for further replies.