• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
There are definitely ways to improve kicking skills once you make it to the pro level. Look at the NRL, all the halves are now starting to use torpedo bombs, an absolute bastard of a thing to catch, when a couple of years ago it was only really Adam Reynolds and a handful of others.

I think most of the problem was we didn’t really work hard on our general kicking skills for a period because it “wasn’t really the Australian way.” In the last couple of years we have made stride forwards (although we started from a low base). Kerevi certainly improved this year, from a non-kicker to a handy second option, and Foley’s kicking out of hand was better although I don’t think he’ll ever have the capacity to be a really long kicker.

What I’d like to see is us improve our attacking kicking, grubbers, cross-field kicks, bombs etc. Beauden Barrett is hardly a graceful looking kicker and doesn’t have the longest punt on him but he’s always been very good at putting an attacking kick accurately in behind. I’d love to see us get together with some NRL coaches and players and learn some of their tactical kicking skills.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
There are definitely ways to improve kicking skills once you make it to the pro level. Look at the NRL, all the halves are now starting to use torpedo bombs, an absolute bastard of a thing to catch, when a couple of years ago it was only really Adam Reynolds and a handful of others.

I think most of the problem was we didn’t really work hard on our general kicking skills for a period because it “wasn’t really the Australian way.” In the last couple of years we have made stride forwards (although we started from a low base). Kerevi certainly improved this year, from a non-kicker to a handy second option, and Foley’s kicking out of hand was better although I don’t think he’ll ever have the capacity to be a really long kicker.

What I’d like to see is us improve our attacking kicking, grubbers, cross-field kicks, bombs etc. Beauden Barrett is hardly a graceful looking kicker and doesn’t have the longest punt on him but he’s always been very good at putting an attacking kick accurately in behind. I’d love to see us get together with some NRL coaches and players and learn some of their tactical kicking skills.

It begs the question should RA appoint more skill specific coaches that spend their time with the super teams and age group teams. Specific lineout, scrum, kicking and skills coaches.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
We don't need superior kicking to win. But to work on your last point, we can reduce our weakness (of exiting our 22) by picking anyone but Foley at 10.

It's probably a 50/50 Lilo or Foley at 10 anyways, none really offering anything over the other in attack in current form so you might as well reduce our weakness by selecting the better kicker.

Bit of a different story at 9 and 15 as the options all offer something different on attack and defence.

That'd be great, but I doubt Leali'ifano is statistically a better kicker with regards to 22m exits than Foley. I think they're both pretty average. I think the better exits for both Tahs and Brumbies were kicked by others. So, it (our kicking strategy) probably comes down to more global options in the backline than just who plays 10. The 10 is more likely to be picked on how they work with whoever is chosen around them, I reckon. I don't think either Leali'ifano or Foley would make a massive difference (overall as a 10) currently - wouldn't bother me which was chosen, to be honest. It's the current Wallaby way - compromise options - in more than a few positions and combos. Sadly.
It can work - Beauden Barrett is hardly the world's best kicker, nor defender, but you'd bloody take him, especially if you could replicate what he has around him, because of his prodigious upside. ;)
And before some petal carries on about me comparing Foley / Lilo to Barrett - I'm not. I'm just saying your 10 does not necessarily have to be great at everything.
As I said earlier, if we get enough good ball, I think there will be enough attacking options available to score points and compete. If we don't, we're fucked.
gd6I-n.gif

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Ben Perkins was the kicking guru wasn't he? I remember an interview back in 03 where he prophesied that Lote Tuquiri would be the future gem of Wallaby kicking. So much for that.

After he bought a place in Queenstown the ABs picked up Ben's services. And didn't that go crap.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The Reds kicking improved all round this year. It's a pity the rest of their game wasn't good enough to get more than one of them in the side. Kerevi has a decent boot but it takes him a little time to wind up. Might be a charge down target.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I wouldn't be looking at the AFL for the gold standard of kicking, necessarily. It has dropped significantly in the last decade. The coaches select athletes with skills just good enough to make the grade and build them up to run 15km per game, because that's more important. Kicking for goal in particular is pretty terrible these days. Over here in the West, people have been complaining about the skill level by foot from the Dockers for as long as Ross Lyon has been coach (since 2012 I believe).

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I wouldn't be looking at the AFL for the gold standard of kicking, necessarily. It has dropped significantly in the last decade. The coaches select athletes with skills just good enough to make the grade and build them up to run 15km per game, because that's more important. Kicking for goal in particular is pretty terrible these days. Over here in the West, people have been complaining about the skill level by foot from the Dockers for as long as Ross Lyon has been coach (since 2012 I believe).

Not to mention that the long, accurate kick is often from a mark / free kick and doesn't have several 110kg angry forwards trying to kill you as you do it. ;)
The general skills of kicking the ball are undoubtedly of use, but the techniques between the two games are a little different. Interesting to see the kick pass being used to good effect by Kiwi teams though. Maybe Byrne taught them something.
There have been plenty of good resources within rugby who could have been used as kicking coaches, but seemingly have not.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It is funny that we still equate running rugby with entertainment when most of the most entertaining sides over the last decade, at least, have had a very strong, well executed kicking games and all of the most successful ones have.

This is one of the biggest things which hold Australian rugby back. (other than the administration but we'll leave that discussion for elsewhere)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If JOC (James O'Connor) still hasn't signed a contract then this whole story about his changed attitude and desire to play for Australia again is starting to look shaky. If the rumours are true, the QRU are wanting special behaviour clauses in his contract - shouldn't be an issue if he is reformed now. If he hasn't signed the contract then he should not be training with the Wallabies

I think you are underestimating the amount of time it takes to complete a contract if there are zero issues, let alone one with changes.

Even if JOC (James O'Connor) is completely onboard with everything that QRU/RA want included in the contract it still needs to go through RUPA/QRU/JOC (James O'Connor)'s agent/lawyer and then every time there's a revision that process happens again.

If there was any reasonable chance that JOC (James O'Connor) was in line for selection in that first test then I'm sure the process would be attended to with some more urgency. Why would anyone be in a massive rush though? It's not like they can't have JOC (James O'Connor) training with the squad. They just can't officially name him in the squad.

Koroibete's new baby has now been born so presumably he will be flying out soon and will be on the wing in the first test.

B

Bobby Sands

Foley is abysmal, be honest with yourselves.

Lilo is the next man up & is better in every aspect.

Do the right thing & support your new king.

Reactions: dru

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't know what Cheika wants to do with this squad and so I don't know what the hell he wants from his team. Selections for the test against RSA won't even necessarily tell us what he wants.

That said, I'm willing to bet the backline will be Genia-Foley-Koroibete-Beale-Kuridrani-Hodge-DHP.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't know what Cheika wants to do with this squad and so I don't know what the hell he wants from his team. Selections for the test against RSA won't even necessarily tell us what he wants.

That said, I'm willing to bet the backline will be Genia-Foley-Koroibete-Beale-Kuridrani-Hodge-DHP.

How much you wanna bet, basically there is no way Kerevi wont be 12 or 13.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Kerevi will be 12 for sure. Beale 15. Hodge wont make the cut.

I think starting Beale at 15 for the first test makes the most sense. He has Banks breathing down his neck and has not exactly been in the best form but is, in theory and in form, the best option at 15.

So start him at 15 and if he doesn't hit the ground running have a look at putting Banks or DHP at 15.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd put a fair bit of money on the backline for the first test being Genia, Foley, Koroibete, Kerevi, Kuridrani, DHP, Beale.

If someone can find another player with a surname beginning with K, they slot right in.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Cheika seems to hold his views for a long time, I won't be surprised if he still believes a Foley-Kerevi 10-12 combo can't work after the England series in 2016.

If it were up to me, there would be no world in which our centres weren't Kerevi and Kuridrani.

Status
Not open for further replies.